The current market..

TGO

Established Member
Winter is historically the best time to buy a sports/convertable time...but usually at dealers.

Unless the private seller really needs to get rid of their car fast, which i guess is why you would list it on ebay. I personally wouldn't purchase a car off ebay...especially sight unseen.

I myself will be in the market in 4-6 months. I'm looking to pay 25k or less. I'm not looking to have car payments, so that's why i'm waiting till i have the cash in hand. I do hope the prices stay down, or even drop a little more. I've heard people say they think the market for used cobra's (terminators) will get better now because the GT500 is out. I dunno...but i love a buyers market!

03outlaw

Established Member
Chris Benvie

You could not be more wrong, maybe and I stress maybe the buyers control the market now, but give it time. Us OWNERS need to stick together. SVTenthusiast is right on, I have 4k on my car bought it new in 02 and have no desire to sell it. With that said, it would take a lot of cash to buy my 03. I know it is years down the road but here is an example, lets see who holds the market on a 69 MACH or Boss?

TGO

Established Member
hey man, i'm not looking to argue or offend anyone. i have a number i'm willing to spend, and thats what i'm gonna look for. there's already some really nice cars here going for 23k or so. If i found a car that i liked for a couple grand more, then i'd have to find the extra $$$ or risk missing out on something i really want.

I dont think anyone is arguing that these are incredible cars...and they are holding their value great too! but they're not immune to the rules either.

You can ask whatever you want for your car, I was only commenting on people who want/need to get rid of the car and the benefits to the buyer.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
skunk50 said:
because i'm that confident in this comment, haha. and i was replying to your comments the money issues of owning your high and mighty car, tool.

why don't you PM me and we'll exchange bank statements, lol...you're so cool bragging about your money...all I ever said was that I could "afford" a more expensive car, but love the cobra...

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I'm considering selling mine soon. But in all honesty I don't think I would let it go for under $26,000. It has 14K miles....clutch has less than 1,500 miles. It's pretty clean with only a scatch on each side scoop (weird I know). I just don't see cars this clean selling for 22 around here. There were 7 in autotrader around here last 3 months for $25.5-29 and none of them lasted more than 3-4 weeks in the paper. I know 3 of those cars sold at asking price.
Jfoster said:
I think it's just logical and responsible to watch my money. People selling cars don't want to hear that the prices of these cars are FINALLY starting to drop, but they are. I refuse to pay a new price for a 3 year old car - That's all that I am saying. These cars held their initial value for a LONG time - it only makes sense that they would start dropping eventually. Call me tight, whatever - I can afford the car, maintenance, and plenty more but I can never afford to just throw money away.

Last edited:

skunk50

Established Member
suprjagr said:
why don't you PM me and we'll exchange bank statements, lol...you're so cool bragging about your money...all I ever said was that I could "afford" a more expensive car, but love the cobra...

ok u got PM

98rs

Established Member
i see alot of cobras go for 25 or less. and as far as people sticking together. that not going to happen. people have diff reasons for selling like it just sitting in thier garage.as for the new cobras, they will come down in price as soon as the other 20 thousand or so are made. and all the new ness wears off. and all the stupid rich people quit paying to much for them an screwing it up for every body else. just my 2$$

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
TGO said:
Winter is historically the best time to buy a sports/convertable time...but usually at dealers.

Unless the private seller really needs to get rid of their car fast, which i guess is why you would list it on ebay. I personally wouldn't purchase a car off ebay...especially sight unseen.

I myself will be in the market in 4-6 months. I'm looking to pay 25k or less. I'm not looking to have car payments, so that's why i'm waiting till i have the cash in hand. I do hope the prices stay down, or even drop a little more. I've heard people say they think the market for used cobra's (terminators) will get better now because the GT500 is out. I dunno...but i love a buyers market!

i'm should be picking up my SB '03 coupe for 22,000 with 26k bone stock and immaculate on friday. winter is a good time to buy, also in a good market.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
03outlaw said:
You could not be more wrong, maybe and I stress maybe the buyers control the market now, but give it time. Us OWNERS need to stick together. SVTenthusiast is right on, I have 4k on my car bought it new in 02 and have no desire to sell it. With that said, it would take a lot of cash to buy my 03. I know it is years down the road but here is an example, lets see who holds the market on a 69 MACH or Boss?

Ok, so when your occupation includes watching market trends, doing trend analysis, and being in the business all your life, you can tell me I'm wrong. I do this for a living.

Listen, buyers always determine the market unless there is a limited production number. Your car has 4k on it, so its worth $28k+, what are you worried about? Add 20k miles to it, and its worth less than $25k.

98bcobra

Established Member
I just see people refusing to believe that their beloved cars are actually going down in value like almost all cars do (there are always exceptions to the rule). Its just a fact cars go down in value and very rarely HOLD value. Great Example is 98 cobras and 99/01cobras compared to when the 03/04s came out. Those price took a huge hit when the newers ones came out. There is a 03/04 White Cobra here that I would buy if I didn't just get my truck and owe to much. It has 7kmiles and they are asking 26k at the dealer in town not a ford though they seem to be asking sticker for these are still lol.

Another thing is that Moded cars are harder to sell for higher price because people don't want to pay for mods. I would rather have a car stock (Rather have NA over FI to) then moded. People also see a moded car as a Raced car which also could turn people away.

Last edited:

Jfoster

Established Member
Most people realize that they are taking a hit. Some people want their cake and eat it too. The cars held incredible value for the first 3 years - now that they are slowly dropping in price, people are like, "oh noes!" :)

98bcobra

Established Member
Jfoster said:
Most people realize that they are taking a hit. Some people want their cake and eat it too. The cars held incredible value for the first 3 years - now that they are slowly dropping in price, people are like, "oh noes!" :)

Exactly

98rs

Established Member
Another thing is that Moded cars are harder to sell for higher price because people don't want to pay for mods. I would rather have a car stock (Rather have NA over FI to) then moded. People also see a moded car as a Raced car which also could turn people away.[/QUOTE said:
i couldnt agree mor with you on your last statment.you dont know if they put the mods on themself or had a pro do it. i like when you see a 0304 cobra with like 10k miles and they alreddy have new tires i always thought that was a good indicator of a ragged out car.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
True....but I havn't seen them sell for 22 around here yet.

I know of three board members around me and all of them got over $25,500 recently(they were the three I spoke about in autotrader.) So my point is they still seem to be getting mid 20's here with 20,000 miles. Show me some selling for 22 in Se pa. It is winter and prices should drop a little but I could see cars with under 25k miles still selling for 21-23,000 next spring.
Edit:
This is the cheapest one I found within 300 miles of me with under 45,000 miles.
$36,995 Highest price
$24,500 Lowest price
$28,718 Average price

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ion=Manual&doors=&max_price=50000&cardist=103
Jfoster said:

Last edited:

98rs

Established Member
phillySVT said:
True....but I havn't seen them sell for 22 around here yet.

I know of three board members around me and all of them got over $25,500 recently(they were the three I spoke about in autotrader.) So my point is they still seem to be getting mid 20's here with 20,000 miles. Show me some selling for 22 in Se pa. It is winter and prices should drop a little but I could see cars with under 25k miles still selling for 21-23,000 next spring.
Edit:
This is the cheapest one I found within 300 miles of me with under 45,000 miles.
$36,995 Highest price
$24,500 Lowest price
$28,718 Average price

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ion=Manual&doors=&max_price=50000&cardist=103
Most of the ones that i have seen selling that low have about 40k or more miles on the ticker. ive seen one on here selling for over 24k i think and it has over 40k miles and i think thats deff to high but not by to much. but my point is that thier are still coming down in price.IMO the 03 04 is the best cobra/performance hot rod ever made in my time.

Jfoster

Established Member
The only way to determine what cars sell for is to use a source where you can see the final sale price, like ebay. Autotrader doesn't tell you when and how much a car sells for. You and I both know that a car listed for $36k in the autotrader is not going to sell. $25k give or take is probably reasonable for a 20k mile or less car right now - but quite a few people are still asking $28k+ for them - those are the ones that you have seen sitting for a WHILE now.

skunk50

Established Member
98rs said:
IMO the 03 04 is the best cobra/performance hot rod ever made in my time.

best Mustang maybe. i wouldn't say best performance hotrod. the Z06 probably is the best. best bang for the buck is probably a stripper LS1 Z28.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
yea I know....but I haven't seen any with in 50 miles of me last more than three weeks in autotrader (I've been watching since I have been thinking about selling mine). 3 people on here right around me just got around if not their asking price. I feel my car was cleaner than two of those. Mikes car (DR-WU on here) was emaculate. Cleaner than mine but with more miles. You are right.....they will only fetch what people are willing to pay. I have two offers on my car right now. One is $26,000 and the other is $25,000 (thats with the stock wheels....not my 2 peice I-forgeds on both offers). They are seriose buyers. But I also have a car that hasn't been beat on and at this point I'm not forced to sell. I was in the market for a Supra before I bought my Cobra....but the more I searched I couldn't find a clean one for under $30,000. I wasn't going going to pay over $30,000 for a 10 year old car with over 90,000 miles that might need clutch, new turbos....ect. So I was out of that market.....maybe the guys searching for the low milage $22,000 Cobra will find themselves out of the Cobra market for now. Sh#t i see 03 Machs asking over $20,000...wouldn't you rather spend a couple grand more and get a cobra? If people cant afford $25,000 this might not be the car for them. $$$ racks up on these (or any FI car) when you run into problems. I put a new clutch in and had my TOB retainer sleeve fail on me with in 2,000 miles. Out came the trans again and I had to put in a new clutch plate,tob, Mccleod tob retainer sleeve, + Labor (note to guys out there...REPLACE the tob sleeve when you do a clutch). What happens if you buy a car that will soon need an engine rebuild? You don't know what the previose owner did to it. I bought a restored 69 impala when I was 18....big mistake! I could afford the car but not the upkeep. The timing chain snapped and I couldn't afford a rebuild.
So I'm getting of topic here sorry....my point is I don't know of any cobra around me selling that cheap. So if I sell I will not take a low ball offer. I can't think of any other car I could buy with $26,000 that will touch my car.
This is the best forum to buy a car (seems cars always sell cheap on forums with other enthusiast). So if I were back in the market this is were I would search. I bought mine on here for a real good price with only 4,000 miles;-)

PS the 36,000 Cobra was a Saleen.....he might get close to that (33-35) for it. They have been still selling over $30,000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread