The current market..

skunk50

Established Member
98rs said:
you can't buy a zo6 for 25k, and i wouldnt own a :xpl: ls1.if someone doesnt say something ill be suprised!:eek:

yea you can. but of course they're going to cost a little more because they start out more expensive than a Cobra.

and LS1 is a proven motor. i thought when the 03 Cobras came out, the factory built motor was going to be a Godsend....until all of the tick, tick, booms. people speculated it was going to be like a Supra TT motor....capable of 1000rwhp stock. they were wrong. look at all the evergoing project cars being changed hands. sometimes the mysteries are uncovered when you do a search on all the post made by the sellers ....most times you have to search other forums too.

Rwick7

Established Member
Plenty of 140 mph stock longblock cobra's around... I don't think there is much tick, tick, boom going around that isn't due to an idiot owner or simply playing the game...eventually in a high boost car things happen, Supra or Cobra.

stvdman

Established Member
Kenneth Risher said:
In summary...low mileage stockers and mid...or even highly modded cars that have been modded intelligently will still sell for a premium....

Well said.

I would say a basically stock 2003 coupe with less than 20k miles in very good condition will sell for $24-26K next summer.

For every 6000-7000 miles above that deduct $1000 off the low and high (26000 miles would bring $23-$25k, and so on). With a bottom price of $18,000 for very high miles, 60,000+, and good condition.

Ill take that. If I could get $25,000 for my car next July, that would be $10,000 less than sticker and $6,100 less than I paid.

So the car would have depreciated roughly 28% from sticker and 20% from purchase price. NOT TOO SHABBY.

And yes I feel I could get $25k for a basically stock 03 10th Ann Coupe with 15,000 miles next summer.

On a side note- I am LOVING the HUGE premiums being paid for the GT500, keeps our lowly TERMINATORS looking like HUGE Mustang Performance bargains, as well as the MACH I's that are selling for $20k-up.

C_J

Established Member
Yeah the biggest thing lowering the resale is the fact the 3 valve GT's with some boost make such good numbers and ofcorse they are new.

stvdman

Established Member
C_J said:
Yeah the biggest thing lowering the resale is the fact the 3 valve GT's with some boost make such good numbers and ofcorse they are new.

Albeit with no factory warranty. Mine for example will be under warranty until Sept 2009 and will still run mid 12's all day long if I wanted it to.

On a side note: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338072 WOW!

wj94

Established Member
When the new Shelby's come down in price (same way the z06's have after 1 year), the price of the 03-04's will take a hit too. Now everyone who was going to buy a c6 convertible or fully loaded coupe is waiting another year for low mileage z06's to hit $60k and below instead of spending $52-60k on a new c6. When the Shelby's come down to below MSRP (and yes, they will), a brand new 500HP car with full warranty that has never been beaten on for $40k (possibly with 3-4% financing instead of 7-9%) is a lot more attractive than an 03/04 with no warranty that may have been ragged out for $12-15k less.

Then you'll have the batch of sellers who are worried about an even further decrease as the Shelby prices drop and begin reducing their prices rapidly, bringing down the entire market, which is exactly the same thing that has happened to the c6 market which has sellers who thought they could retain resale value taking huge hits as dealers start offering $8-10k off sticker for brand new cars. What happens when dealers start clearing out GT500's for $37-38k? Nobody will be willing to pay $26-28k for a ragged-out 5 year old car when they could get a new one with better finance rates for $10k more.

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Yea...I almost picked up a clean Z-06 ...(I think it was an 01 I know it had the higher hp output) for $29,000 with under 5,000 miles 7 months ago
wj94 said:
there's a ton of z06's with relatively low mileage for $25-27k on corvetteforum.com

skunk50

Established Member
stlblack03 said:
Plenty of 140 mph stock longblock cobra's around... I don't think there is much tick, tick, boom going around that isn't due to an idiot owner or simply playing the game...eventually in a high boost car things happen, Supra or Cobra.

and there are plenty 140mph cobras that are with rebuilt motors too. most of the KB cobras for sale are with rebuilt motors. how idiotic can the owners be? most of them just take it to the shop for installs and tuning. blame the shop....ok....but part of the problem is that it's a FURD.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
The price drop is bad for us that already own them, but good for those who could'nt previously afford one. Also good for someone looking to make a racecar out of one, but didn't want to gut such a nice car. Imagine how fast these cars would be gutted down to about 3000lbs.

TGO

Established Member
yeah, i mean 2 years ago i couldn't find a way to afford the car if i tried. but now i've just been busting my @$$ and saving every dollar i make so i can buy one. i could have done the same thing a couple years ago i guess...but i think the main driving reason is this might be my last opportunity to own one. The cars aren't getting any younger, in a few years who knows what will be available.

that and i've been dreaming of one since i pulled tire rubber out of the wheel well of a first run terminator in may 2002.

my92gt

Established Member
Well i'm a 19 yo that has the money in hand to buy a cobra under 30k!!! I agree no one in here wants to sell their cobra for less than 25k!!! I wish someone will actually sell their car for less than 25k or anything clost to that like 26k with 7k mi on so I could spend a little more than 5 k on the car!!! My dad tells me that with money in hand anyone will start dancing and applauding but he doesnt know what the value of the car is in the market! Until recently we found a cobra that was in a dealer tha twas going for 26,977$ but it had about 46,100 miles on it and they were not even taknig offers that was their sale price after discounts!!!!!! These f**king cars are bad ass thats why im willing to wait for a low mile cobra under 26,000 dollars!! I just hope that I can find 1!!!!

wj94

Established Member
my92gt said:
Well i'm a 19 yo that has the money in hand to buy a cobra under 30k!!! I agree no one in here wants to sell their cobra for less than 25k!!! I wish someone will actually sell their car for less than 25k or anything clost to that like 26k with 7k mi on so I could spend a little more than 5 k on the car!!! My dad tells me that with money in hand anyone will start dancing and applauding but he doesnt know what the value of the car is in the market! Until recently we found a cobra that was in a dealer tha twas going for 26,977$ but it had about 46,100 miles on it and they were not even taknig offers that was their sale price after discounts!!!!!! These f**king cars are bad ass thats why im willing to wait for a low mile cobra under 26,000 dollars!! I just hope that I can find 1!!!!

I'm gonna go ahead and say anyone selling you a car is licking their chops. Jebus.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Theres tons of 03-04's going for way less then 26 grand my92gt, just scroll thru the ads on here . I see alot for around 23 grand with less then 30k miles. Good luck. And I have to agree that the market for these cars while still strong has fallen off alot. Seems like everyone is building these cars up and them selling them right away. Lotsa good deals out there . A sonic blue whippled 03 just went for 24k on here a week ago or so.

Haus03Cobra

Established Member
9 months ago I sold my 03 with 14k for 25000. I live in the northeast area. I tried to sell it for 2 months and could not. I got a awsome deal on it and bought it for 25k and it had 7500 miles. So breaking even after driiving it for a year I didnt mind. I looks for a long time until I found a great deal and I finally did. Patiences is the key.

Sharkster

Established Member
mormonstang said:
It's true though, about the market for these cars are going down. The owners on here will say different, because they don't want the resale value of their cars to go down, but the cars are now going to be 4-3 years old this upcoming year. Also, we have a totally new mustang, with a lot of new things. The 03-04 cobras are getting out dated, and everyone on here is hoping they are going to be the new supra, but they won't. In the next year they will go down a lot, because that is probably when the shelby's will go down in price as well.
WRONG right now the market is low for them. The new Shelby is out and most everyone wants one. Now..... wait until that old man and his ship of fools come out with with the Auto Shelby, the V-6 Shelby and the Auto V-6 Shelby. They will be everywhere under the sun driving around, they will be as common as a Chevy Impala. The terms value is going to go up just like the Supra. There will be limited number of them driving around and they were only made for 2 years.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Haus03Cobra said:
9 months ago I sold my 03 with 14k for 25000. I live in the northeast area. I tried to sell it for 2 months and could not. I got a awsome deal on it and bought it for 25k and it had 7500 miles. So breaking even after driiving it for a year I didnt mind. I looks for a long time until I found a great deal and I finally did. Patiences is the key.

I think I called you about that car the day the guy who bought it saw it!

Users who are viewing this thread