The current market..

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
suprjagr said:
I think guys on here are looking for that sweet deal that will never come around or when it comes around someone will snatch it up fast and you'll be hanging around still tire kicking...wasting time to look for that savings of $1k...if most of you are so tight with your funds, how do you expect to afford this car with all the maintenance, gas, mods, insurance, interest, depreciation and all the other #%$ that goes along with buying this kind of car? I can afford a $50k car, so I bought this car so that I can modify it and keep it running, which ironically in the end is similar to buying a $50k car. I have seen nothing but tire kickers and once in a while I see someone make a move and actually buy something...there are so many good deals on this forum and everyone is like can you send me pics? whats the lowest you will go? can you sell with the stock wheels? and then weeks will go by and that same car is sitting there and all these guys are writing on other threads saying the same $%#^...its ridiculous to see everyone trying to save pennies on a car that is going to bankrupt you when you get it...anyway, I can care less if I get stuck with my car, but selling a whippled cobra for $26k with 22k miles isn't enough of a discount for ya, then I don't know what is...to build this car in its current form from stock you will need nearly $20k...funny $%#& that's my twocents which isn't worth anything I know :)
Are you selling your whippled cobra for $26 grand? If you are, that's a great deal. I would be very interested if you were closer. There shouldn't be anyone asking for a better deal than that. Good luck to you.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
badsube said:
Are you selling your whippled cobra for $26 grand? If you are, that's a great deal. I would be very interested if you were closer. There shouldn't be anyone asking for a better deal than that. Good luck to you.
I rest my case...shipping costs less than $1k lol

Jfoster

Established Member
I think it's just logical and responsible to watch my money. People selling cars don't want to hear that the prices of these cars are FINALLY starting to drop, but they are. I refuse to pay a new price for a 3 year old car - That's all that I am saying. These cars held their initial value for a LONG time - it only makes sense that they would start dropping eventually. Call me tight, whatever - I can afford the car, maintenance, and plenty more but I can never afford to just throw money away.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Jfoster said:
I think it's just logical and responsible to watch my money. People selling cars don't want to hear that the prices of these cars are FINALLY starting to drop, but they are. I refuse to pay a new price for a 3 year old car - That's all that I am saying. These cars held their initial value for a LONG time - it only makes sense that they would start dropping eventually. Call me tight, whatever - I can afford the car, maintenance, and plenty more but I can never afford to just throw money away.
Well said. Let's also not forget that there were those that paid the $34,750 msrp. Some paid more than msrp, some less. All I do know is a person could have got the last of the 04's for about 28500-29000 before taxes. Sorry, but that's what I base my logic on when I'm considering purchasing one. I regret not buying one then. All of these cars lose value. It's unfortunate, but true. They're still great cars though, even in light of all the performance cars that've come out since them and even the ones that are supposed to come out soon. That's why I'm still looking for one!

Jfoster

Established Member
Term owners are going to enjoy great value over time, for sure. IMO (IMO!) these cars are taking a little hit now, because they were able to put off that initial "off-the-lot" depreciation that all new cars have (how many cars ever do this?? not many!). I also think that they will depreciate less over the years and that truely stock, low mile examples will REALLY hold some value. Hell, look at the 91-93 LX Coupes. They book value for $3000ish but low mile, stock ones can sell for $14+!

I guess my point is, the recent drop in price is probably the most significant one they will ever see.

badsube - Yes, I am the same. I look at the lowest price that the car could have been purchased for and go from there. I cant afford to pay extra because someone else wanted to pay an ADM of $5000, which is what they were asking here when they first came out!

However - keep this in mind. KBB and NADA use the initial retail price of the cars when estimating current values - and those prices are still lower than I see these cars advertised for.

Last edited:

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
anyone can wait and if they wait long enough anything will come down in value...what is the value of not having the car to enjoy? every day you wait is one less day you had to enjoy the car...so the market is what it is today...if its not important for you to have the car today, wait til next year...heck wait for 5 years...I pay for what the price is today, so that I can get the best out of my experience today, afterall I'm the one driving the car and experiencing it...my point is the time your waiting for, is lost time and not worth the amount of time lost, considering the small amount of money it will come down in price...we all have opinions

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
Jfoster said:
the recent drop in price is probably the most significant one they will ever see

Probably not. They haven't reached the 4 year point yet at which they will drop 30% of their initial market value. However... after that they will level off and by year 8 should begin to increase in value as they narrow in quantity.

I don't think you will see return on investment numbers unless you can keep it under 75,000 original miles at the 25 years old point. And keep everything in like new condition. There are a few people I know who will do this, but for the most part... these cars are too much fun to drive. Very few will make it that long.

Rod

Jfoster

Established Member
suprjagr said:
anyone can wait and if they wait long enough anything will come down in value...what is the value of not having the car to enjoy? every day you wait is one less day you had to enjoy the car...so the market is what it is today...if its not important for you to have the car today, wait til next year...heck wait for 5 years...I pay for what the price is today, so that I can get the best out of my experience today, afterall I'm the one driving the car and experiencing it...my point is the time your waiting for, is lost time and not worth the amount of time lost, considering the small amount of money it will come down in price...we all have opinions

I agree. I have waited and now the prices are dropping, as evidence of cars sitting for sale on other sites, ebay and this site. Now I am excited to be able to pick one up for (in my opinion) what I think is a fair price.

skunk50

Established Member
suprjagr said:
I think guys on here are looking for that sweet deal that will never come around or when it comes around someone will snatch it up fast and you'll be hanging around still tire kicking...wasting time to look for that savings of $1k...if most of you are so tight with your funds, how do you expect to afford this car with all the maintenance, gas, mods, insurance, interest, depreciation and all the other #%$ that goes along with buying this kind of car? I can afford a $50k car, so I bought this car so that I can modify it and keep it running, which ironically in the end is similar to buying a $50k car. I have seen nothing but tire kickers and once in a while I see someone make a move and actually buy something...there are so many good deals on this forum and everyone is like can you send me pics? whats the lowest you will go? can you sell with the stock wheels? and then weeks will go by and that same car is sitting there and all these guys are writing on other threads saying the same $%#^...its ridiculous to see everyone trying to save pennies on a car that is going to bankrupt you when you get it...anyway, I can care less if I get stuck with my car, but selling a whippled cobra for $26k with 22k miles isn't enough of a discount for ya, then I don't know what is...to build this car in its current form from stock you will need nearly $20k...funny $%#& that's my twocents which isn't worth anything I know :)

i probably have more money in the bank than you but it doesn't mean i'm going to just throw some of it away on someone trying to unload a project car on me. i'm sure all sellers are 100% honest right?

yea it cost a lot of money to build up a Whippled Cobra....that's why many people are waiting for other suckers to spend the time and money to do it first....and then buy them should they go up for sale without paying for all of that expense.

but if these buyers end up with an everlasting problem car, then they too can enjoy the experience of owning a money pit.

miniSHO

Established Member
I've got a showroom quality 8800 mile Sonic Blue coupe that is totally stock with factory warranty until 2008. And I would not consider selling it for anything less than 28.5K. It's the sellers that determine where the market will sit.

Jfoster

Established Member
^^ Actually, cars like that are the only ones I really see selling for that price - you shouldn't have a problem, should you decide to sell it.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
SVTenthusiast: The sellers dont determine the market. If the sellers ask too much, the buyers won't buy. Its simple, if the buyers dont buy, the sellers dont sell, trust me, i see it every day.

However, your car is probably worth the $27k+ So your not too far off. Its the modified 20k+ mile 03s and 04s that are worth below $24k. Keep the miles off, and your value will be a good 20% higher than others.

These cars ARE special, no doubt, but its not a ferrari, and its not a one of a kind car. The prices will continue to fall, just like anything else.

I think this is a good thread.

98rs

Established Member
I think that its deff a buyers market.IMO a stock car is going to bring more money than a modded one unless thats what that person is looknig for.and when i say modded i mean heavily modded cars.but 03 04 cobras are deff still the best bang for the buck. im like some other people in this thread and will not pay over 28500 for a used one when i could have got one for that price new in the 70739 zip code.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
skunk50 said:
i probably have more money in the bank than you but it doesn't mean i'm going to just throw some of it away on someone trying to unload a project car on me. i'm sure all sellers are 100% honest right?

yea it cost a lot of money to build up a Whippled Cobra....that's why many people are waiting for other suckers to spend the time and money to do it first....and then buy them should they go up for sale without paying for all of that expense.

but if these buyers end up with an everlasting problem car, then they too can enjoy the experience of owning a money pit.

that's cool except for the "I probably have more money in the bank than you comment", haha...how the hell do you know ace? what a tool...

Jfoster

Established Member
Let's skip the personal shots.

I'm going to take another look at the ebay listings and group them by North/South to show how the "cold" effects selling prices. I wish ebay allowed me to go farther...I could look at summer vs winter.

skunk50

Established Member
suprjagr said:
that's cool except for the "I probably have more money in the bank than you comment", haha...how the hell do you know ace? what a tool...

because i'm that confident in this comment, haha. and i was replying to your comments the money issues of owning your high and mighty car, tool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread