The facts: GM Synchromesh v. Red Line

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Just to add to the confusion:
I spoke with a Tremac rep at BG last week. I complained of hard shifting. I have been using Redline D-4 since shortly after I purchased the car. He said that the D-4 reacts with the fibres in the the blocking rings and causes a slight swelling and may be the reason for the hard shifting. His recommendation was to drop the D-4, run Dexron through it for a few hundred miles to flush it out and then switch to GM Syncromesh. The GM Syncromesh doesn't have any effect on the blocking rings.

I may give it a try. I have nothing to loose. Don't think it can get much worse.

Dana

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
I spoke with a Tremac rep at BG last week. I complained of hard shifting. I have been using Redline D-4 since shortly after I purchased the car. He said that the D-4 reacts with the fibres in the the blocking rings and causes a slight swelling and may be the reason for the hard shifting. His recommendation was to drop the D-4, run Dexron through it for a few hundred miles to flush it out and then switch to GM Syncromesh. The GM Syncromesh doesn't have any effect on the blocking rings.

I may give it a try. I have nothing to loose. Don't think it can get much worse.

Dana

I'm going to try this too...we do have (special?) carbon fiber blocking rings that aren't used in all the T56's so maybe there's some truth to this :shrug:

trey193

Established Member
I switched to GM Synchromesh a while back and it has improved shifting of the tranny quite abit that along with a UPR Quadrant and Firewall Adj. When I first tried to powershift the car I was like WTF and now its like butter, synchromesh is a damn good place to start if you want a smooth shifting T56.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
....When I first tried to powershift the car I was like WTF and now its like butter.....

yeah, better to have it shift like butter than peanut butter! :bored:

maoun

Established Member
cobra'03 is too hardcore for me.....he's half the reason i joined this board...i get the facts straight and good

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
cobra'03 is too hardcore for me.....he's half the reason i joined this board...i get the facts straight and good

I agree, that's why I'll change the Synchromesh at frequent intervals if I do decide to keep using it...

Cobra'03

Established Member
I just go to this place that has a blue bow-tie sign that has some French guy's name - Chevalier or Cavalier or Chevrolet or something...

Me, hard core? I just have a small toerance for baloney.

How y'all been? My house got Isabeled - tree through roof!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Did he say there was a differance in Dextron?

No, the rep didn't comment specificly on the Dexron. He just told me to use it to flush the D-4 out for a few hundred miles.
Maybe it has a detergent or something in it? I don't know. Apparently it is not the same as the D-4 as far as its effect on the rings goes, and so the recommendation.

Dana

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana

Dana

That is interesting, since the "D" in D4ATF stands for Dexron, in this case the stiffer D4 spec that was proposed but never adopted cause it was too costly to implement. So the Tremec guy is saying Dexron (or Mercon) are improper fluids and that Ford's recommendation is incorrect?

If that is the case, Ford is going to be doing a lot of tranny work.

Honda also makes an excellent tranny fluid similar to GM-S, called MTF (Manual Transmission Fluid). I drove a Honda S2000 and it sure shifts saweet!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
No, the Tremac rep didn't comment on the Dexron one way or the other.
What I posted is exactly what he told me.
Dana

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Dont you think its strange that i changed my fluid and noticed right off that the shifting seem to have a little bit of a mechanical click of the syncros with the Castrol Mercon III Should I go buy ford brand. It sure should be the same but maybe Castrol has somthing that soaks in.

MY car is going into storage so i should fig out what to throw back in I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread