THE FUTURE COLLECTIBILITY AND VALUE OF OUR 2013/2014 SHELBY GT500s...

weider1717

Established Member
I can't see it..too man people including myself with the means to buy the 13/14 yet prefer the 07-09 body.

I thought long and hard on buying a brand new 14 last year and ended up searching until I found an 07 with 2,076k miles on it signed by shelby and finally bought one.

Besides the rear (not a fan at all) that aluminum block bored to the max didn't give me comfort I didn't buy a z06 either due to a shitty engine dropping valves and having other issues.

Give me a good ole iron block that I can rebuild when needed and still remain original to the car and I don't want to hear about sleeves yes I know what they are...

Last edited:

ghig50

Established Member
"I can't see it..too man people including myself with the means to buy the 13/14 yet Prefer the 07-09 body."
This x2

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
What a interesting thread, unfortunately no one knows what future holds, hell I personally think the 03/04 cobras will be worth more than the GT500s ever will, but we won't know for 25+ years.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
"I can't see it..too man people including myself with the means to buy the 13/14 yet Prefer the 07-09 body."
This x2
Wow, didn't know there were that many with poor taste ;-)
I never liked the non-SS early GT500s, especially the rear.
I parked next to a 2007 at a recent show and there is no way I'd prefer the early body, my '14 is a much more aggressive and cleaner design.
The huge power upgrade just a bonus.
Yes, I do feel these cars will hold value better than any other s197, maybe with exception to the Boss 302 keeping up, just like the '03-04 Terminator has done for Cobras.
-J

ghig50

Established Member
Guess maybe I am a bit old school the 07 to 09 gt500 looks more like a muscle car to me (hate the original rims on all of the gt500's) than the newer years. Nothing wrong with the newer years just not for me.wouldnt call it poor taste

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
More of a joke there, hence the ;-)
Anyone with a GT500 of any year obviously has good taste.
-J

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I have a 14 bought new. As an investment, if it's a good one, that will be nice. If it just becomes another used car, that's ok too. It will still have the engine and handling that comes with this model.

Modern day cars that has gone up in value???

Ford GT. Odd that a newer (10yr old) car is over 100% more than original cost.

This doesn't happen very often.

It's not an investment for me, it's a toy. I get on the 662nd pony as often as I can when on the tracks.

Enjoy them or someone else will.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I find it amazing you guys are commenting on a thread that is two ****ing years old ..... and for the record .. if you are going to lump the 03-04 together then you have to lump ALL of the gt500s together. Everyone thought the 95 cobra being the last of the 5.0L pushrods would hold their value and increase over time. didn't happen. a LOT of people thought the 03-04 would be collectors items didn't happen. the ONLY one that MIGHT be in the future is the 04 mystichrome. the rest, while holding their value fairly well, are still on the decline. the GT500s are a dime a dozen, and the 13/14 are just more of the same. Great car that should certainly hold it's value much the same way the Terminators have but in the end they are not that special. they will never hold the sway that a well kept terminator will.

but like scalecraft says ... they are not an investment, the Terminators are not an investment, neither of them ever will be. Shelby's involvement is minimal in ALL the GT 500s and as such having his name on them is really pretty meaningless. esp. when those that got them autographed had to pay to have that done. in the end Shelby, despite all his historic contributions to automobiles and their history, was a joke.

Last edited:

ObieFox

Established Member
I don't know what the future holds, but my 2013 GT500 that I've driven for 3yrs and 7,000 miles books out (KBB) at basically what I paid for it new. I'll take that kind of depreciation all day long.....

I had a new terminator vert back in '03 and it will always have a special place in my heart, but I find my '13 with the 5.8 to be a much more special car.

A lot of the "collectibility" will be determined by what Ford does next in regards to the GT500. The 5.8's could be the last of the breed....

Current CAFE puts a 2017 "Mid Range Sports Car" at 40 mpg.

cafe.png

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I find it amazing you guys are commenting on a thread that is two ****ing years old ..... and for the record .. if you are going to lump the 03-04 together then you have to lump ALL of the gt500s together. Everyone thought the 95 cobra being the last of the 5.0L pushrods would hold their value and increase over time. didn't happen. a LOT of people thought the 03-04 would be collectors items didn't happen. the ONLY one that MIGHT be in the future is the 04 mystichrome. the rest, while holding their value fairly well, are still on the decline. the GT500s are a dime a dozen, and the 13/14 are just more of the same. Great car that should certainly hold it's value much the same way the Terminators have but in the end they are not that special. they will never hold the sway that a well kept terminator will.

but like scalecraft says ... they are not an investment, the Terminators are not an investment, neither of them ever will be. Shelby's involvement is minimal in ALL the GT 500s and as such having his name on them is really pretty meaningless. esp. when those that got them autographed had to pay to have that done. in the end Shelby, despite all his historic contributions to automobiles and their history, was a joke.
Hmm, well opinions are like ***holes, some stink more than others.
Not sure what made Shelby a joke, but I'd definitely disagree that the '13-14 GT500 won't hold up as well as a Terminator. I've owned both and just picked up a Teal 1993 Cobra, leaving a Mystichrome or Mineral Grey Terminator as the last of my planned SVT collection; so I personally think the '13-14 GT500 joins the '93s and '03-04s as the best keepers, but is also the best total package.
-J

ghig50

Established Member

Gt500's are a dime a dozen?that would be nice if they where but they are not.
Also the comment about carroll shelby, not good.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
As someone who's owned a car from each "generation" (08, 11,13)

The 08 doesn't hold a candle to the 13. And I loved my 08,

You guys needs to stop arguing about this. Pretty dumb argument

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
:rollseyes says the guy making his own comments :rollseyes
on the thread has gone on for a page .. why not ? LOL

Hmm, well opinions are like ***holes, some stink more than others.
Not sure what made Shelby a joke, but I'd definitely disagree that the '13-14 GT500 won't hold up as well as a Terminator. I've owned both and just picked up a Teal 1993 Cobra, leaving a Mystichrome or Mineral Grey Terminator as the last of my planned SVT collection; so I personally think the '13-14 GT500 joins the '93s and '03-04s as the best keepers, but is also the best total package.
-J
I did not say they weren't keepers. as I said they will hold their value very well. I could sell my Mystichrome today for what I paid for it used with 1500 miles on it in 06. but investments they are not

Gt500's are a dime a dozen?that would be nice if they where but they are not.
Also the comment about carroll shelby, not good.
by dime a dozen I mean that there are a million of them out there. (ok million is exaggerated but literally close to 10k of them most years)

as far as shelby is concerned I guess I am not surprised that those of you who own a GT500 still think of him as a hero. he was a legend and did some amazing things. but he sold out to the man. Ford paid him to use his name and that is the sum total of his involvement in the car. he was all about the benjamins and that is why he came in as a legend and went out as a joke. He sold out for money. personally I will never see anything done with his name on it 2006 and up as anything but just another car. but you guys go ahead, far be it from me to deny you your opinions

As someone who's owned a car from each "generation" (08, 11,13)

The 08 doesn't hold a candle to the 13. And I loved my 08,

true that LOL I had goals of owning certain cars just like you do. but in reality it aint gonna happen so I will be happy with my 95 and the mystichrome unless I win the lottery that is .. then it's on

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
+1, not to mention the fact that this is an ANCIENT thread that should have never been revived.

by dime a dozen I mean that there are a million of them out there. (ok million is exaggerated but literally close to 10k of them most years)
Thanks for confirming you're neither a math nor history major...

GT500s produced, by year, were:
- 2007 - 10,847
- 2008 - 8583
- 2009 - 3559
- 2010 - 4458
- 2011 - 5100
- 2012 - 4834
- 2013 - 4885
- 2014 - 5730

Terminators produced, by year, were:
- 2003 - 13,476
- 2004 - 5664

In aggregate, just under 48K GT500s were produced throughout an 8yr run (<23K '07-'09, >14K '10-'12, and >10K '13'-'14 GT500s), while just over 19K Terminators were produced in a 2yr run.

Tell us, again, which vehicle averaged almost 10K/yr?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
on the thread has gone on for a page .. why not ? LOL

I did not say they weren't keepers. as I said they will hold their value very well. I could sell my Mystichrome today for what I paid for it used with 1500 miles on it in 06. but investments they are not

as far as shelby is concerned I guess I am not surprised that those of you who own a GT500 still think of him as a hero. he was a legend and did some amazing things. but he sold out to the man. Ford paid him to use his name and that is the sum total of his involvement in the car. he was all about the benjamins and that is why he came in as a legend and went out as a joke. He sold out for money. personally I will never see anything done with his name on it 2006 and up as anything but just another car. but you guys go ahead, far be it from me to deny you your opinions

true that LOL I had goals of owning certain cars just like you do. but in reality it aint gonna happen so I will be happy with my 95 and the mystichrome unless I win the lottery that is .. then it's on

Shelby was 89? when he died? Or 83 when he supposedly sold out? I have no allusions as to who made my car.. it has SVT displayed prominently all over the car. You say Shelby is a legend who did amazing things but call him a joke because he sold his name at the end of his life? I don't agree Carroll Shelby never has been and never will be a joke. So what if he got paid to let Ford put his name on their car? It's not a v6 we're talking about here, his name is being put on the top end of the Mustang lineup. I don't have a problem with that. That move may get the "Shelby" name out to people who would never know about Shelby American. I think it was a smart move that might have prolonged his legacy... and he got paid? forgetaboutit

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
my bad ... the website I was on apparently had some screwy numbers or screwy format ....

+1, not to mention the fact that this is an ANCIENT thread that should have never been revived.

Thanks for confirming you're neither a math nor history major...

GT500s produced, by year, were:
- 2007 - 10,847
- 2008 - 8583
- 2009 - 3559
- 2010 - 4458
- 2011 - 5100
- 2012 - 4834
- 2013 - 4885
- 2014 - 5730

Terminators produced, by year, were:
- 2003 - 13,476
- 2004 - 5664

In aggregate, just under 48K GT500s were produced throughout an 8yr run (<23K '07-'09, >14K '10-'12, and >10K '13'-'14 GT500s), while just over 19K Terminators were produced in a 2yr run.

Tell us, again, which vehicle averaged almost 10K/yr?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I wanted SVT's best Mustang, that it happened to have the Shelby GT500 name that is iconic, even more than SVT Cobra, was just a bonus.
-J

I don't know what the future holds, but my 2013 GT500 that I've driven for 3yrs and 7,000 miles books out (KBB) at basically what I paid for it new. I'll take that kind of depreciation all day long.....

I had a new terminator vert back in '03 and it will always have a special place in my heart, but I find my '13 with the 5.8 to be a much more special car.

A lot of the "collectibility" will be determined by what Ford does next in regards to the GT500. The 5.8's could be the last of the breed....

Current CAFE puts a 2017 "Mid Range Sports Car" at 40 mpg.

View attachment 48907

I'm curious though...not trying to criticize you. Just kind of want to get some insight in how you see things.

The 13/14 GT500 is a new watermark for Ford. A beast of a car in stock trim.

Now 3yrs of ownership is pretty substantial to me at least.

Why only 7k on it more or less? Why don't you drive it more? If its ok to ask, why buy a car like that if you seem rather reluctant, for whatever reason, to put miles on it?

I really would like to know. And I apologize in advance if my questions are found to be rather intrusive.

I do want to know though for different reasons or beliefs I hold about who buys these type of cars.

Thanks buddy

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have 5500 in 2 calendar years because I drive it only on special days, race it and can't stop doing mods.
Its a lifer car for me and pleasure use only, I don't enjoy using it as a DD, but love it as a stress reliever.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread