The new 14mm fron IRS subframe mounting bolts...

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I'm sure many of you guys know which bolts I am referring to. I'm talking about the 14mm bolts that FORD didn't have time to put into our COBRA IRS assemblies. I'm going to have my diff resealed soon & while they are back there I would like to have them take the old 12mm bolts & replace them with the correct 14mm units...

How long will this take & is it a pretty easy install... ? :shrug:

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
unbolt, support subframe with a floor jack, tap new one in, torque to spec (75ft/lbs I think)

Last edited:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
sprusak1,

Thanks for the input bud. I guess the removal of the old & the install of the new bolts should not be a big problem. Sounds like a very easy job that any tech with a little experience can do. Thanks! :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sprusak1 said:
onbolt, support subframe with a floor jack, tap new one in, torque to spec (75ft/lbs I think)

76 ft lbs (actually) would be the torque for the original 12mm bolt that was factory installed.

If you're installing the Ford 14mm bolt, it should be a grade 10.9 and the torque would be quite a bit more at 131 ft lbs.

FWIW,

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sprusak1 said:
you still have the 14mm or 9/16 bolts for sale?

I gave up on the Ford bolts because they were so expensive. I'm selling the 9/16" bolts for HALF the price and they have the same strength rating.

The kit I market is about getting the job done as economically as possible without sacrificing quality, safety or durability in any way, shape or form.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
boosted2000si said:
What is this?

What is what? The kit? The link to the kit is in my sig.

boosted2000si said:
Anyone have a link to the bolt thing? Has anyone actually broke the bolts?

The grade 8, 9/16" bolts have an identical strength rating to the metric 14mm grade 10.9 Ford bolts. (Metric and Inch have different numbers for the same strength rating)

IMHO it would be impossible to break these bolts. In the Ford TV commercial they pick up an F-150 with a bolt smaller than this one! :idea:

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
What is what? The kit? The link to the kit is in my sig.

The grade 8, 9/16" bolts have an identical strength rating to the metric 14mm grade 10.9 Ford bolts. (Metric and Inch have different numbers for the same strength rating)

IMHO it would be impossible to break these bolts. In the Ford TV commercial they pick up an F-150 with a bolt smaller than this one! :idea:

Wow nice job on that link in your sig!! Answered a few questions for me...

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Bruce, aka - ac427cobra,

Does the 14mm FORD bolt move around in the 14mm sleeve alot more then your 9/16" bolt does... ? As long as I don't have to pund it in to make it work I might get yours instead. I know the back IRS mounting sleeve is snug but the one in the front is a little bigger in diameter. Am I getting this info right... ? :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Bruce, aka - ac427cobra,

Does the 14mm FORD bolt move around in the 14mm sleeve alot more then your 9/16" bolt does... ? As long as I don't have to pund it in to make it work I might get yours instead. I know the back IRS mounting sleeve is snug but the one in the front is a little bigger in diameter. Am I getting this info right... ? :shrug:

There is only .011" difference in the 14mm bolt and the 9/16" bolt. That's about the thickness of three sheets of paper. With the 9/16" bolt being the larger one. They both fit quite nicely in the OEM bushing and aftermarket parts.

The front mount OEM inner sleeve has a smoth bore and the rear OEM sleeve has little 1mm tits on it to make up the difference for the smaller 12mm bolt used in the rear mount.

I believe many people have this front location moving on them with the smaller 12mm factory installed bolts. IMHO they are experiencing a "clunk" from this.

FWIW,

Bruce

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Bruce,

Thanks for your reply & for the information your provided. I realize you know a lot about the IRS on these cars since you have a 00 COBRA R & other Fords. I appreciate your help. I hope this bolts gets rid of that dreaded clunk or at the very least reduces it... ! ;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Bruce,

Thanks for your reply & for the information your provided. I realize you know a lot about the IRS on these cars since you have a 00 COBRA R & other Fords. I appreciate your help. I hope this bolts gets rid of that dreaded clunk or at the very least reduces it... ! ;-)

Another source of the clunk can come from the rear OEM rubber diff mount. These crappy rubber bushings won't take a lot of torque. After a pretty short time they can look like this:

moransrearsupportsmvp3.jpg

Other than that, the Cobra drivetrain does have a bit more play than your average bear.

FWIW

How does the rear suspension feel if you have a set of these 12mm bolts on from the factory? Is there anything symptom in particualr that would identify my IRS as having a set of these?

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
How does the rear suspension feel if you have a set of these 12mm bolts on from the factory? Is there anything symptom in particualr that would identify my IRS as having a set of these?

They all (well 99% of the 03/04 COBRA'S) have this incorrect 12mm bolt in the front mounting point of the IRS. Do a search & you will find more pages they you will want to read. I guarantee that your car has this smaller bolt in it. FORD did not realize the probelm or really care to fix it even after the last COBRA left the factory. Get the new one (the 14mm) & put in it like I am doing... ! ;-)

Kevin the Clean 1 said:
They all (well 99% of the 03/04 COBRA'S) have this incorrect 12mm bolt in the front mounting point of the IRS. Do a search & you will find more pages they you will want to read. I guarantee that your car has this smaller bolt in it. FORD did not realize the probelm or really care to fix it even after the last COBRA left the factory. Get the new one (the 14mm) & put in it like I am doing... ! ;-)

Thank you my friend I thought that this was isolated to onyl a few Cobras. I've noticed since I upped my power that when I roll out of 2nd my rear left wheel feels like it almost shifts slightly then stays in line. Its subtle, but noticeable to me. I'm going to get this taken care of.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Is this the same bolt that interferes with a 315 tire, or is this a different one? I'm sure Bruce's thread has tons of info, but right now the link in his sig lead to a message about the new server. The search function is no longer available either, so can anyone dig up the thread in question?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fastphil said:
Is this the same bolt that interferes with a 315 tire, or is this a different one? I'm sure Bruce's thread has tons of info, but right now the link in his sig lead to a message about the new server. The search function is no longer available either, so can anyone dig up the thread in question?

We are talking about the front 14mm subframe bolts. They do not interfere with the tires. Those would be the rear bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread