The new Cobra R for sale and want to buy thread

r82of250

Established Member

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You can see yellowing on the shock towers? You have GOOD eyes Rob!

It is a nice car tho. Do you think the dealer principle held on to this one for all this time?

It appears that this car has been in the posession of this dealer since new. The window sticker has the "sold to" information matching this same selling dealer.

Yes, the yellowing is visible on the top of both towers in the link below. I am not sure what causes that. I know we had discussed it a couple years ago, but I don't know that we came to a conclusion as to what is the cause........

http://my.autorevo.com/revo/viewers/PopupViewer1.aspx?IID=272670&PID=17064025

No complaints about the yellowing, I just wonder what causes it? :shrug: Actually I see some yellowing on the bottom side of the hood also, above the passenger side strut.............What causes this?

R

Last edited:

r82of250

Established Member
It appears that this car has been in the posession of this dealer since new. The window sticker has the "sold to" information matching this same selling dealer.

Yes, the yellowing is visible on the top of both towers in the link below. I am not sure what causes that. I know we had discussed it a couple years ago, but I don't know that we came to a conclusion as to what is the cause........

No complaints about the yellowing, I just wonder what causes it? :shrug: Actually I see some yellowing on the bottom side of the hood also, above the passenger side strut.............What causes this?

R

I remember the Yellowing discussions from awhile back. But I still don't see it in these pictures. Guess my eyes are fading also. The yellowing must be something in the paint pigment or a contamination, maybe oil?

So what do you think this R will bring Rob?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member

R

Noticed the ship to info is Sunset Auto in St Louis MO.... the selling dealer is Sunset in Waterloo, IL

I guess the dealer has a couple of locations or its a very odd coincidence that two dealers were a Sunset named company

r82of250

Established Member
Noticed the ship to info is Sunset Auto in St Louis MO.... the selling dealer is Sunset in Waterloo, IL

I guess the dealer has a couple of locations or its a very odd coincidence that two dealers were a Sunset named company

Yeah it's a little bit of a coincidence, but do a search for "Sunset Ford" and they are everywhere - Ca., Nv. Il, Mo.

93SVTCobra

Established Member

R

Correct me if I'm wrong Robert but I thought you concluded that the yellowing was actually staining from drool left by people at car shows?:-D

venom279

Established Member
You can see yellowing on the shock towers? You have GOOD eyes Rob!

It is a nice car tho. Do you think the dealer principle held on to this one for all this time?

The underneath side of the hood has this mysterious "yellow" as well.. Could it possibly be a bad picture?

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
The underneath side of the hood has this mysterious "yellow" as well.. Could it possibly be a bad picture?

The yellow discoloration is caused by the effect of engine heat on the clear coat (and the type of clear used) used during the production run of the 95 "R" Chassis. It's the clear which is yellowing and not the base "HUS" white. I've seen this one on several other Ford and Chevy vehicles (cars and trucks) of that same time period........

Bill S.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong Robert but I thought you concluded that the yellowing was actually staining from drool left by people at car shows?:-D

The people with yellow teeth?? :rollseyes

It might not be drool, but instead "other yellow liquid" left by the brand X guys. <<If this is the case, I'll bet the raced cars have this yellowing also.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I remember the Yellowing discussions from awhile back. But I still don't see it in these pictures. Guess my eyes are fading also. The yellowing must be something in the paint pigment or a contamination, maybe oil?

So what do you think this R will bring Rob?

Not sure where this 95R will go. It seems that the higher mile cars have been bringing money higher than what they were in recent history, but that might be a fluke since it has only been a couple of cars. The last 95R with wrappers in place, but with 700-800 miles sold on eBay a few weeks ago for $31K. The 95R that we are looking at here, has less miles, and no wrappers except for the plastic that appears to have been placed on the floor carpet by the guys who dealer prep the cars. I believe the drivers door pull plastic is in place also, but the plastic in place, or not in place, is not a big deal to most.

I would guess high $20K's, maybe very low $30K's depending upon who is looking to buy at this time.

BUT, that does not mean that the seller is interested in selling at those $$$.

R

r82of250

Established Member
Thanks r82,

That has some possibilities for either myself or some friends.

Sounds GREAT bret. Pls let me know if you need more photos/info. I'll be updating the underhood shots soon as I'm changing the Monte Carlo bar and want to show the FMS wires.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

This alternate view also shows the yellowing on the passenger side (bottom of hood) and upon a closer look, there is an indication of yellow on the bottom drivers side of the hood over the strut.

http://my.autorevo.com/revo/viewers/PopupViewer1.aspx?IID=272670&PID=17064023

The thing that puzzles me, is "if" it is a clearcoat and engine compartment heat issue, why is it only on the top of the shock tower, and "usually" only toward the rear? strange. The other question is.........if the bottom of the hood is also yellowed, why would it only be over struts?<<I would assume that the finishing process from H.O. Fiber Trends, on the bottom side of this fiberglass hood in not like the Ford assy. line engine compartment finish? Why are the shock towers not yellowed on the front area? <<why not near the hot exhaust headers,<<<speaking of underhood heat. Every 95R that I have looked at only has this yellowing on the top area of the strut towers and usually toward the rear, why? I am not saying it is not an underhood heat issue, but it seems there are some unanswered questions.......

R

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Maybe some sort of towel or protective material was placed on the strut tops to keep the installers from scratching the R model hoods during installation... over time a chemical reaction took place causing the paint to discolor.

The thing is, not all 95R have this issue... it seems the ones that do, they all look the same and the ones that don't have no sign of discolor anywhere else. Maybe some of the dealers washed the cars under the hood during dealer prep and it cleaned of the reacting agent????????????

SDW Racing

Established Member
Me thinks condoms were wrapped around the shock towers and as the anti-spermacide decayed and reacted, it created this splooge like substance similr to what is found on all 2000 Rs residing in Wisconsin...right Bruce???

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Maybe some sort of towel or protective material was placed on the strut tops to keep the installers from scratching the R model hoods during installation... over time a chemical reaction took place causing the paint to discolor.

The thing is, not all 95R have this issue... it seems the ones that do, they all look the same and the ones that don't have no sign of discolor anywhere else. Maybe some of the dealers washed the cars under the hood during dealer prep and it cleaned of the reacting agent????????????

Not sure about an underhood wash or reacting agent, but I have notice the same thing you have mentioned, some have this yellowing, some don't. Some with many miles have it, some with few miles have it. On the other hand, back in 2003/04 we saw some 95R's with little to no miles on them, MSO wrappers, some of them had yellowing also, and you know that they were not driven enough to do much heat damage, that is unless they were started, and run with the hoods closed for extended periods of time, but most people (car guys) that I know might run the engine to lubricate it, but "usually" the hood would be open during this run period in the garage or on the driveway, and then leave the hood open until the engine cools. I hate baking and searing all of the plastic and rubber items under the hood, once the car no longer has air flow through the engine compartment, like parked in the garage, or arrive at a car show, my first action is "get the hood open" and let that heat out.

Now another thought and this is only a possibility that I have tossed around after my many observations of this yellowing.................

Since these struts are adjustible and I would assume there is an o-ring around the stem that is used for adjustment, could they leak when heated or after they age? Could that gas from the inside stain or discolor the clear on the shock towers and bottom side of the hood if it were to escape? This would be a very logical reason why the "top only" of the strut towers are stained on many of these 95R's and if it is a leak and heat issue, plus air flow from front to rear in the engine compartment during this seeping/leaking period, that would also explain why it is "usually" only toward the top/rear of the towers.

Just a thought, but I would guess that since these struts are adjustible and not sealed like other struts/shocks, they could leak, especially if they are old and/or heated? Maybe not.........

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread