The official addiction thread

Zemedici

Established Member
Depends on if it starts to affect your daily life. If its a part of your daily routine, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't cause problems with your job or family / friends etc.

As with anything, in moderation, imo. Just my .02

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I love coffee, but I limit myself to 3 cups a day on the weekends. Two in the morning and one in the afternoon. During the week, I drink a little over 2 cups.
I love working out as well. I used to do it 6 days in a row, with only Fridays off. Now, I do it every other day. It was getting to be too much and I wasn't having enough recovery, even though I did one body part per workout.
I would say my main addiction for the last 5 years or more has been cars. I'm always on Youtube looking at/researching and checking out different cars. I've always loved cars/trucks, but it's gotten pretty bad. lol
Generally, people workout to much. Been there. The gains come during the recovery stage of course. As I near 40 I've noticed recovery takes a lot longer. My motto the last five years or so has been. "Try to make my body look like it can bench 500+lbs".

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Sooner or later you're going to have to make a choice. Is it long term durability I want or just a good feeling....

Sooner or later we all have to make choices about everything.

I’m sure the hours I work and the sleep I don’t get is probably just as bad for me as catching a buzz, or the lack of healthy diet with food.

At the end of the day, it’s not like we live to 200. Tomorrow isn’t promised, so I make today feel good.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I gave up drinking Coke a couple of years ago.
I have a pretty addictive personality so I try to avoid things that could cause trouble. I have never drank, smoked or have tried any drugs. Figured I knew how it would turn out.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Got hooked on energy drinks again.

I could easily have a gram of caffeine over a short period and be fine.

Not for the taste, as most taste like shit. Guess it's the caffeine and carbonation.

Trying to convert energy drinks to more "natural stuff". Can't see those drinks being good one way or another.

Last edited:

FJohnny

Established Member
Good thread @VegasMichael. Really gets a guy thinking, that's for sure.

I don't give drinking a whole lot of thought as a rule. Mainly just make sure to be safely under the limit if anywhere near a steering wheel. After reading some of the posts I did the math on myself for a normal week during this summer.

After daily golf - couple of beers.
Dinner - 1 to 2 glasses red wine.
Evening - sometimes a drink or two, sometimes not.
Weekends - some days could be 2 or 3 extra if with friends.

So, say about 20 - 25 to who knows how many per week. (That number seemed not out of line with a lot of the other posts as far as I could extrapolate.) Looked up USA and Canada safe drinking guidelines and here's what both say:

National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Men, No more than 4 drinks on any single day
and no more than 14 drinks per week.
Women, No more than 3 drinks on any single day
and no more than 7 drinks per week.
Drinking Levels Defined | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

The articles also say that everyone lies on the low side about how much they drink per week.

By their definition it would seem I have a problem. Dammit, and everything seemed to be going so well. This being New Year's Eve and tomorrow being when we are supposed to start anew with better lifestyle choices I wondered if this would be a better program:

Day 1: 3 drinks or less. Day 2: Substitute reefer. Zero drinks. Alternate days 1 and 2 and take one day completely off each week from both. A couple of drinks extra permitted for special occasions. (Rule: can't claim every day is special.) So, around 10ish drinks per week interspersed with a bit of weed.

Anybody have any thoughts or real life experience with a program like this? Could this be a winner health-wise? The effects of long term drinking as laid out in many articles are definitely something worth avoiding. I have no plans to fully stop everything. Don't think it would work, long term. And since we have legalized weed it must be okay so why not?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input. Have a great New Year's Eve!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
ECA Stack....

Those were the days before the FDA got involved. Took that stuff EVERYDAY from 1999-2012 and was jacked AF in my Army days

Was tough coming off that, but I'm good with Starbucks Pike Place nowadays.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Generally, people workout to much. Been there. The gains come during the recovery stage of course. As I near 40 I've noticed recovery takes a lot longer. My motto the last five years or so has been. "Try to make my body look like it can bench 500+lbs".
I agree 100%. It was just way too much for me, even though I was only doing one body part a day. I'm almost 47 years old and still kicking. I've been working out every other day for about 2-3 months now. Way better.
I wasn't over training with the 6 days a week as I was doing one body part a day as I still am. But, you are correct. Rest is growth time and people do workout way too much.
Have a great New Year's bro!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree 100%. It was just way too much for me, even though I was only doing one body part a day. I'm almost 47 years old and still kicking. I've been working out every other day for about 2-3 months now. Way better.
I wasn't over training with the 6 days a week as I was doing one body part a day as I still am. But, you are correct. Rest is growth time and people do workout way too much.
Have a great New Year's bro!
Awesome! Sounds like you're doing it right! Every one's body is different. Happy New year! I have to go in for night shift tonight. :(

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member

I don't give drinking a whole lot of thought as a rule. Mainly just make sure to be safely under the limit if anywhere near a steering wheel. After reading some of the posts I did the math on myself for a normal week during this summer.

So, say about 20 - 25 to who knows how many per week. (That number seemed not out of line with a lot of the other posts as far as I could extrapolate.) Looked up USA and Canada safe drinking guidelines and here's what both say:

Drinking Levels Defined | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

The articles also say that everyone lies on the low side about how much they drink per week.

By their definition it would seem I have a problem. Dammit, and everything seemed to be going so well. This being New Year's Eve and tomorrow being when we are supposed to start anew with better lifestyle choices I wondered if this would be a better program:

Day 1: 3 drinks or less. Day 2: Substitute reefer. Zero drinks. Alternate days 1 and 2 and take one day completely off each week from both. A couple of drinks extra permitted for special occasions. (Rule: can't claim every day is special.) So, around 10ish drinks per week interspersed with a bit of weed.

Anybody have any thoughts or real life experience with a program like this? Could this be a winner health-wise? The effects of long term drinking as laid out in many articles are definitely something worth avoiding. I have no plans to fully stop everything. Don't think it would work, long term. And since we have legalized weed it must be okay so why not?

What do you guys think?

I'm gonna leave it like this

I've seen friends and family both act like a demon possessed them after alcohol entered their body. Do things they would NEVER do sober, NEVER say sober, etc.

Never seen someone do that shit on some herb....worst thing you do is melt into the couch, eat too much food, or really suck at video games...

To ME - alcohol is poison

MG0h3

Established Member

I've seen friends and family both act like a demon possessed them after alcohol entered their body. Do things they would NEVER do sober, NEVER say sober, etc.

Never seen someone do that shit on some herb....worst thing you do is melt into the couch, eat too much food, or really suck at video games...

It literally is....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Got hooked on energy drinks again.

I could easily have a gram of caffeine over a short period and be fine.

Not for the taste, as most taste like shit. Guess it's the caffeine and carbonation.

Trying to convert energy drinks to more "natural stuff". Can't see those drinks being good one way or another.
Im the opposite. i drink red bull and monster only for flavor. I feel no adverse affects from drinking either.

coposrv

Established Member
I’m not addicted to anything in particular but I’m an addictive person. I’ll go in phases where I become immersed in work or a hobby. An example was may of 2015. I played golf a lot. 18 holes a day 36 a number of times. Since then I’ve calmed down a bit but it’s been 3 years of indoor/outdoor probably making hundred of swings a week. before that was cars. Anything engine wise or mechanical had my full attention and then some. It’s hard to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Im the opposite. i drink red bull and monster only for flavor. I feel no adverse affects from drinking either.

There's a few I like taste wise, but the best one for me got discontinued years ago(Blueberry Pomegranate by rockstar).
think I accounted for about 25 % of the sales for that flavor lol.

VegasMichael

Established Member

What do you guys think?

I think almost any routine that pares down your drinking because you consciously want to cut back is good. I was surprised at the long term problems years of heavy drinking can cause, aside from the usual liver issues. I've now noticed that if I drink too much on successive days I get slight pains in my heart. Not good. It goes away if I lay off the booze for a day though. I was thinking of adopting a routine where I just won't drink on successive days. Or only every three days. Or maybe just quit altogether.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Sooner or later we all have to make choices about everything.

I’m sure the hours I work and the sleep I don’t get is probably just as bad for me as catching a buzz, or the lack of healthy diet with food.

At the end of the day, it’s not like we live to 200. Tomorrow isn’t promised, so I make today feel good.

True, but many people who end up a victim of their choices wish they could go back and make changes. Just a thought. My neighbor's teeth are falling out of his head due to 40+ years of smoking. He quit 6 years ago but still.

Alcohol is a strange drug. It has so many varied effects on people. Some get violent, some sad, some weird, some philosophical, some silly, some foolhardy, some get talkative, and others finally shut the hell up. I fall into the silly and talkative category like my father does. Although he rarely drinks anymore. They say drunken words speak sober thoughts.

I’m not addicted to anything in particular but I’m an addictive person. I’ll go in phases where I become immersed in work or a hobby. An example was may of 2015. I played golf a lot. 18 holes a day 36 a number of times. Since then I’ve calmed down a bit but it’s been 3 years of indoor/outdoor probably making hundred of swings a week. before that was cars. Anything engine wise or mechanical had my full attention and then some. It’s hard to explain.
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I used to play a lot but when I moved to Vegas I stopped. Courses here are expensive, crowded and mostly flat with few water hazards. It's cheaper in the summer but who wants to play in 110 degree sun. I did buy a new set of clubs a couple years ago and have been hitting from the range just to keep my swing alive.

Users who are viewing this thread