The rear suspension that could have been

Dave07997S

Established Member
That's all and well. I didn't mean a direct attack towards you. I was just giving another opinion from someone who actually competes in the series to counter the Porsche/BMW claims that you posted.

Even if YOU know they AREN'T Motons I thought it would be useful information to let everyone know exactly what the ARE. BTW even thought it is not the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge we are still required to run the Koni shocks for at least this year again.

Not all the E46's just the Turner cars;-) Kind of funny when they have cars that are unbelievably faster than the other BMWs. And even more funny when they can pull on the "high horsepower Mustang" around the banking at Daytona and Homestead. They were also running 2 seconds a lap faster at Watkins Glen also until it rained then we were faster, you know they say that rain is a horsepower equalizier right?;-) And then Grand Am just says it because the almighty Bill Auberlin is driving :rolleyes: And no they didn't need to be strung out in order to keep up with us. They did it for an ADVANTAGE in a series that is really close to spec racing with different cars. How is it fair that we have to run a sealed ECU and engine while the Porsches and BMWs can pull theirs apart and play with them? Also if we make SO much more power why do we not have to run a smaller restrictor plate than we already do? Probably to make the cars even. I do get your tongue in cheek statement though :beer:

What are going to be the excuses this year since the new E92? has MORE horsepower than the Mustang and the Porsche now gets the 3.8L? Oh wait, now they will just vilify the Camaro's and 2010 Mustang instead:bored:

Again this is not an attack at you directly, just replying to what you've written. It's good to know you follow the series, maybe someday you can make it to one of the races and say hi:beer:

Dude, thanks so much for the input in this conversaiton...I mean it. I try to follow the series but the races aren't televised that much. I have dealt with TurnerMotorsports when I had my own E46M3 and that's amazing what they can do with their cars...however it don't mean anything if you can't finish.

How are the E92 cars running? I have yet to see a race with them in the race.

One other thing..I'm a car nut..love Mustangs, M3's and my current ride the 997S. I am so proud of what you guys are doing with the Mustang. I'm on the BMW and Porsche sites defending Mustangs as well. I just call it like I see it and try to put fanbois in perspective of what is real and what is fluff.

Dave

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Yes, we must use the factory suspension mounting points. Everything else that was wrong seems to have been covered by Tob already.
"we" huh? i'm intrigued! :D

here is what a guy i ran into on another forum a while back had to say about the FR500Cs arrival(and the list of teams he drove for)...
The FR500 is the car that changed Grand Am cup / Koni.
but how it got "legalized" with what it brought to the table ...no one will ever know. I drove one on the first 4 that were delivered to Daytona in 05...they are fun to drive. Now they have the brakes figured out there are even better.
I have driven with Acemco/The Racers Group/ Black Forest/ Tampoli/Champion Ford group/Schuitemaker Motorsports/RSR motorsports/Schumacher Racing/Wright Motorsports/ Hyper sport/Trinkler racing / Power Racing/ TPC.
The suspension is fine...but the gearbox /rear end/ and engine are " showroom" stuff. Dont get me wrong I love the series...but the issue with the series now is.....it takes about $500k to run a showroom style endurance series.
We were the first team in North America to build and develop the Nissan 350Z ...Menards engine development was doing our engines in Indy. Our 350Z was making 345 HP at the crank....it took a lot of asking /beggin to even get camshafts approved.
Then the Mustang came out and those cars were making 400 to the wheels!
When that car was legalized for Koni ....it jumped the budgets way up....then all the BMW guys switched to Sunbelt $50k motors ...which were bubbed illegal until 2006 ( long story)...now those arent making enough power so noiw the Lazano engiens are making power. Now the Bmers are making 370+ at the crank.
When we developed the 350Z we got to see the really ugly side of the politics in racing.
But hey.....thats racing.

i'm certainly not saying that one's right and the other's wrong, merely posting up what i've read over the years(not much it seems).

wish i would've known about your grand-am/koni challenge threads before, love this series! hopefully i can make it to mid-ohio this year, gotta see this stuff live.
are you guys running the new FR500Cs with the coyote, or is that only multimatic this year?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Dave said:
I'm on the BMW and Porsche sites defending Mustangs as well. I just call it like I see it and try to put fanbois in perspective of what is real and what is fluff.
Wow. I'd have to take a break from that and maybe get waterboarded for a week or two. Much easier to take.:D

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Dude, thanks so much for the input in this conversaiton...I mean it. I try to follow the series but the races aren't televised that much. I have dealt with TurnerMotorsports when I had my own E46M3 and that's amazing what they can do with their cars...however it don't mean anything if you can't finish.

How are the E92 cars running? I have yet to see a race with them in the race.

One other thing..I'm a car nut..love Mustangs, M3's and my current ride the 997S. I am so proud of what you guys are doing with the Mustang. I'm on the BMW and Porsche sites defending Mustangs as well. I just call it like I see it and try to put fanbois in perspective of what is real and what is fluff.

Dave

As I said earlier, as of right now all the races will be televised this year except Trois Riviers, but they are working on a deal to hopefully get that one on tv as well. Turner is a great team with some smart people working and driving for them. IMO the only way they won't win the championship this year is if a Camaro does. We are still waiting to see what happens at Daytona and what consession are given to each car after they really show their stuff at the race. It seemed like our team was the only one that really went balls out at test days since we didn't need to shake down a brand new car.

Good luck keeping the Porsche and BMW guys in check. No matter who wins, they usually still figure they are better because they are driving a Porsche or BMW. Whatever, I just hate hearing them whine that things aren't fair because IMO things were pretty even last year. This year it is yet to be seen though.

The E92 cars are a rocketship BTW. It will be interesting to see how the year goes. If things go like they seem to be they are either going to have to slow down the new cars or give us some more power back with a different restrictor (or none at all).

"we" huh? i'm intrigued! :D

"We" as in Rehagen Racing. We build our own cars instead of buying FR500C's.

here is what a guy i ran into on another forum a while back had to say about the FR500Cs arrival(and the list of teams he drove for)...

i'm certainly not saying that one's right and the other's wrong, merely posting up what i've read over the years(not much it seems).

wish i would've known about your grand-am/koni challenge threads before, love this series! hopefully i can make it to mid-ohio this year, gotta see this stuff live.
are you guys running the new FR500Cs with the coyote, or is that only multimatic this year?

I agree with much of what you posted. When the 2005 FR500C first came out it was definitely a monster compared to the other cars. That is why they made them run a restrictor, changed them to a 3:55 gear from the original 3:73 and added weight to them. I don't know what all it really changed though because that was a year or two before I got involved with Grand Am.

So that we can stop cluttering up this IRS thread, here is the link to my thread in the Open Track forum. Whatever questions you guys have feel free to post them up there and I will answer them to the best of my ability and knowledge.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/468780-mustang-racing.html

If you do make it to Mid-Ohio this year make sure to look me up and say hi as well. It's always good to meet everyone in the real world.:beer:

We are still running the old car. We have been asked to not build a new body style car yet and it wouldn't do us much good since we wouldn't be able to get a hold of the new Coyote engine anyways. The only way to get the new cars with the Coyote is directly from Ford. Multimatic is running 2 cars as of right now. JBS and Jim Click Racing are supposedly running them also according to the rumors I've heard. That car is going to be a monster this year as well. That new engine is unbelievable, it definitely puts the "Cammer" motor to shame. It is going to be a very interesting year between the E92 BMW, the Camaro, the new Mustang and the 3.8L Porsches. We shall see what happens :D

jes_csx

Established Member
More IRS news.
The unit was considered "fully developed" and has more adjustments then are seen in the pics.
The diff is an Auburn ECTED, most likely with a 3.73.
I should have it in my possession within 2 weeks, along with the springs, driveshaft and one brembo caliper... I will have to find a replacement for the missing caliper.

I wish I was getting a '11 to put this sucker in!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
oh wow, an auburn ECTED in there! those things are pretty damn cool, a locker that's a limited slip when unlocked.

dude, you GOTTA find a car for this thing! have you considered getting ahold of one of the major mags for an article about this? maybe muscle mustangs fast fords, they could do a temporary swap into their GT500 project car and do some instrumented tests(maybe stick to street tires for the drag strip, i doubt those half shafts are available at the local autozone, lol) or something. it's an idea anyways, and would be damn cool!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
dude, you GOTTA find a car for this thing! have you considered getting ahold of one of the major mags for an article about this? maybe muscle mustangs fast fords, they could do a temporary swap into their GT500 project car and do some instrumented tests(maybe stick to street tires for the drag strip, i doubt those half shafts are available at the local autozone, lol) or something. it's an idea anyways, and would be damn cool!

that's a good idea

i bet alot of mags would be interested in doing an article about this - the "irs that never was".

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
Would be cool if Duane Carling (who resurrected the original Klaus Arning T5 IRS that was to go into the original 64.5 stang) also fitted his into a GT500 for a comparo (it fits the S197s too).

The explorer one is clearly beefier... the Arning super-light with loaded half-shafts ...a racer-like IRS.

At one point a fellow I know who talked to Carling in '08 supposedly heard that Saleen had asked what it would take for Carling to mod it for 600Tq and I beleive the answer was it would not take much.

Still, loaded half-shafts scare me 'cause when one goes, you're not rolling any more -lol. The explorer design seems much safer (yet Mercedes used the T-5 design for decades, I'm told).

A "then & now -- IRSs that could have been" would be very cool! :)

---

Or we can just wait 'till MY'14 global RWD 'stang -- order guides are only about 36 months away! -lol :)

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
hmm that auburn is a grenade waiting to blow that pretty case apart. In these heavy cars, I'd change it out before I ran any kind of big power through it.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
i think i'll believe that ford 'lied' when i hear it from someone more reliable than the joke that is motortrend.
I agree... I think it's very unlikely that it would cost more to put the solid axle in the GT500. Since they already went through the expense to R&D an IRS, it was obviously a last minute decision to quickly improve the profit margin on this model.

jes_csx

Established Member
I hate to say it, but it looks like this deal has hit a dead end and the IRS will continue to collect dust. Sorry to disappoint... I am very disappointed myself. If circumstances change I will let the forum know.

91svtbird

Established Member
Sorry to hear that Jes I was looking forward to further information and your impressions on this rare suspension. Thanks for sharing what you could anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread