The rear suspension that could have been

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so then could an Explorer/Mountaineer IRS fit in a 05+ stang?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Our prayers have been answered! Maximum Motorsports, a company that specializes in performance suspension components for Ford Mustangs, is showing two new suspension systems for the 2005+ Ford Mustang. The front suspension system is a double A-arm independent setup to replace the stock strut configuration. The big news is in the rear, where Maximum has created an independent rear suspension system to replace the stock Mustang's solid rear axle. The vehicle concept also includes Bilstein coil-overs with Eibach springs at all four corners. We've been waiting for the aftermarket to respond to the new Mustang in this way, with competition quality aftermarket suspension components. Thanks to Eric Bryant for snatching up these pics in his coverage of the SEMA show in Las Vegas.

3060000000052076.JPG
3060000000052077.JPG
3060000000052081.JPG

Maximum Motorsports shows off IRS suspension for Mustang — Autoblog

This was shown at SEMA in 2005. I know they have been dragging ass with S197 parts, but I'm guessing it was scrapped?

:nonono:

looks sweet

jes_csx

Established Member
so then could an Explorer/Mountaineer IRS fit in a 05+ stang?
Its just the center section. I've got a MARKVIII 8.8 AL center section for my miata v8 conversion.

I've recently become an MM dealer... waiting to hear back from them on what happened with their IRS.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Its just the center section. I've got a MARKVIII 8.8 AL center section for my miata v8 conversion.

I've recently become an MM dealer... waiting to hear back from them on what happened with their IRS.

Ask about the S197 KMember :rockon:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i really don't see how this thing could weigh almost the same as an SRA, i just don't see it. it's very similar to the camaro IRS(one IRS is similar to another, what a surprise huh? lol)...

...which(according to carriage house customs) weighs in at ~390lbs(albeit, the camaro IRS uses stamped steel pieces, while this one is apparently cast aluminum), a complete mustang 8.8" SRA weighs ~200lbs. i just don't see how that thing is ~190lbs lighter than the camaro IRS.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Yes, this is a prototype Ford unit. I have many more pictures but they are 5mb each and I will likely be putting them into a more user friendly gallery format. I do not have it in my possession, but I should shortly, along with the springs, driveshaft and brembo calipers. This was the final iteration of the production ready IRS. Ford had several steel versions in testing that were determined to be too heavy and Roush developed this Aluminum unit to address the weight issue. I do not have a specific weight yet, but it is supposedly no heavier then a SLA... possibly lighter. It performed better then the SLA in every way (most noticeably ride and handling over bumpier surfaces, but hooked up only slightly better) but it was determined by Ford not to be enough to justify the MUCH MUCH higher cost over a simple well developed SLA. This information fits pretty well into what has been considered "common knowledge" about the subject, so there is no need to stir the SLA vs IRS debate.
The personal irony is that this specific debate drives me nuts. The pro's and cons of each should be fairly clear. I really get into development history because it is part of my job (60's Fords and Shelbys, and now the new cars more and more). And now here I am, unintentionally throwing one huge spoon into that pot.

According to a reliable source, there is one still floating around (in a car) in the Ford system.

i once had an impromtu opportunity to talk with tom scarpello after svt (under coletti) went away.

he said that they (svt) had an irs fully developed and ready to go into the gt500

cool pic!

jes_csx

Established Member
i really don't see how this thing could weigh almost the same as an SRA, i just don't see it. it's very similar to the camaro IRS(one IRS is similar to another, what a surprise huh? lol)...

...which(according to carriage house customs) weighs in at ~390lbs(albeit, the camaro IRS uses stamped steel pieces, while this one is apparently cast aluminum), a complete mustang 8.8" SRA weighs ~200lbs. i just don't see how that thing is ~190lbs lighter than the camaro IRS.

Maybe the axles are gun drilled and the ring gear is milled within a micron of its life? :rollseyes :p

Seriously, you have an excellent point. I asked the same thing and was told it was "incredibly light" and expressed my skepticism. Getting a weight is #1 on my list. I would guess the camaro uses an aluminum carrier, correct?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
yep, the camaro pumpkin is aluminum.

i gotta say, i'm still not completely sold on the IRS, even if it didn't add much weight(though i'm a bit biased since i like watching bimmers get beat by 'buggy' suspended cars, haha). if they could get the cost down enough to offer it as an option, that would be pretty damn cool!

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
yep, the camaro pumpkin is aluminum.

i gotta say, i'm still not completely sold on the IRS, even if it didn't add much weight(though i'm a bit biased since i like watching bimmers get beat by 'buggy' suspended cars, haha). if they could get the cost down enough to offer it as an option, that would be pretty damn cool!

I'd bet money that in the next few years we'll have an IRS on the top Mustang offering from SVT; shortly after the Shelby contract runs out would be my guess.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'd bet money that in the next few years we'll have an IRS on the top Mustang offering from SVT; shortly after the Shelby contract runs out would be my guess.

im gonna agree with that

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i agree! i'm not sure what shelby would have to do with it though, they don't make any decisions on this car.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Again, look at this shot the OP previously posted (we need more!)

2007ShelbyIRS005.jpg

Now look closely at the following Explorer IRS chunks, studying the ribbing very carefully...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Until we see more images that point to the contrary, that differential chunk is looking very much like that of the Explorer/Mountaineer.

Some interesting reading on the 'to be' S197 IRS...
DrivingEnthusiast | Ford Mustang – IRS

Tob

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Again, look at this shot the OP previously posted (we need more!)

2007ShelbyIRS005.jpg

Now look closely at the following Explorer IRS chunks, studying the ribbing very carefully...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Until we see more images that point to the contrary, that differential chunk is looking very much like that of the Explorer/Mountaineer.

Some interesting reading on the 'to be' S197 IRS...
DrivingEnthusiast | Ford Mustang – IRS

Tob

good reading. another i notice it the pic, how would it mount to the chassie?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I believe there to be four rubber isolated mounting points on the cast 'cradle' mount directly to corresponding points of the rear floorpan. The IRS chunk should have two mounting points on the differential cover to attach to the cradle (in the rear), and another cast-in horizontal ear (also rubber isloated) that mounts the front of the chunk to the cradle as well.

Tob

Dave07997S

Established Member
I'm trying to find the ariticle regarding the S197 development and the IRS. It turned out that Ford lied as it would only be $50-80 more per car for the IRS and it would have added only 80lbs. to the car. Granted it is 80lbs but its not sprung weight and they could have used a softer rear spring to not only aid the ride but the way the car turns in.

Dave

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Apparently the Aussie version, dubbed "Control Blade IRS" and made by Dana Corp, was to have been the model for IRS in the S197 chassis - yet it looks quite a bit different than what the OP shows.

What I find interesting is the following statement...

Along with the multiple lateral and toe control links, this unit has excellent resistance to wheel hop. In fact Ford Australia already has tuning in place for high horsepower applications with the BOSS 290 Falcons which come with a snarling 5.4 liter DOHC power plant.
TheMustangNews.com - Australian Falcon IRS

I'd have thought it to hop quite a bit. Interesting. I still don't see it withstanding the same repeated shock loading that many induce on SRA 8.8's without complaint...

Dave07997S

Established Member
Found one article from MotorTrend...the live axle ended up costing Ford $98.00 more per vehicle..a quote from the ariticle.

Now here's the punchline: My well-placed sources say that once the noise, vibration and harshness, and driveline angle issues were solved, the S197's live rear axle actually ended up costing Ford $98 per unit MORE than the low cost independent rear end originally developed for the car.

Go figure

The article itself..

2010 Ford Mustang: Near Enough is Not Good Enough | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

Its coming guys..sooner or later this car or the next Mustang is going to have an IRS.

Dave

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
note that he says "my well-placed sources". yea, look how right on his "well-placed sources" have been in the past, with that 2008 boss mustang powered by a 5.0l, the ecoboost 3.5l showing up in the 2011 mustang, the twin turbo 5.0l showing up in the GT500, etc.
i think i'll believe that ford 'lied' when i hear it from someone more reliable than the joke that is motortrend. i'll believe a random 1 post internet yahoo before i'll believe them.

Users who are viewing this thread