The saving of a 1998 BAB Cobra

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Sorry to hear that Nathan, but the cobra is in good hands now so she will be taken care of. I would love to see it sometime:)

Allen2001GT

Established Member
Props to you sir for the great attitude and hard work after finding all of these issues. Nice looking car and can't wait to see more. Awesome job so far!

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
every now and then you come across cars that are so ridiculously clean, well built and tastefully modded. 9 times out of 10 these are the cars that had a complete overhaul and were usually junkers before hand. also, doing the work is half the fun. once you get the car completed you're not going to know what to do with yourself :)

i wouldn't be down and out if i were you. 96-98 cobras are gorgeous cars, especially the BAB's.
Personally if it was me i'd pull the motor/trans/interior, get the suspension buttoned up, bring the car in for paint, then reassemble.

good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

mysteed

Established Member
I give you a lot of credit that you are going through and saving this car. I also would be quite peeved that the accident was not disclosed, but the past is the past.

It is a great looking car and deserves to be saved :)
Thanks sir. The car is what it is, I just have to fix what's wrong with it. Nothing more and nothing less.

Looked like a fun trip! Props for putting up with so much crap!
Oh yeah, the trip was a ton of fun. Nothing better than driving 1700 miles towing something. :D

Sorry to hear that Nathan, but the cobra is in good hands now so she will be taken care of. I would love to see it sometime:)
She's in very good hands. It's almost always going to be at the shop when I'm here (weather permitting). Anytime you want to see it PM me and I'll send you the shop address Craig.:beer:

Got an IRS laying around? :pepper:

Threads like this put a smile on my face, great to see an awesome car get A+ treatment.
Thanks, the color on this car maeks me smile every time I see it.

Props to you sir for the great attitude and hard work after finding all of these issues. Nice looking car and can't wait to see more. Awesome job so far!
You have to have a good attitude when dealing with a car like this. After all, ya gotta pay to play!

every now and then you come across cars that are so ridiculously clean, well built and tastefully modded. 9 times out of 10 these are the cars that had a complete overhaul and were usually junkers before hand. also, doing the work is half the fun. once you get the car completed you're not going to know what to do with yourself :)

i wouldn't be down and out if i were you. 96-98 cobras are gorgeous cars, especially the BAB's.
Personally if it was me i'd pull the motor/trans/interior, get the suspension buttoned up, bring the car in for paint, then reassemble.

good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks sir and when she goes in for a repaint it will have the motor/trans/rear/suspension pulled and completely repainted (BAB of course). I've done a few show car quality builds (in regards to paint) and this one will be no exception.

brucesvt

Established Member
Good thing its in a good owners hands now. Man i would not have the patience to deal with it. i was actually thinking of getting this car too, things happen for a reason.

mysteed

Established Member
Update:

This past weekend I wasn't able to spend a lot of time on the car due to family obligations but I was able to set my alignment, install the new front crash sensors, install the new airbag diagnostic module (huge PITA to replace as it's under the middle of the dash), and replace the driverside airbag. I was also able to get to the DMV and transfer the car into my name.

My first impressions on the car in driving it (as I made a short trip home on Friday from the shop to my house after I set my alignment) is that this car is LOUD. I mean just plain stupid LOUD. The mufflers being dumped... er....the after muffler piping was removed from several angles with a hacksaw so I think you can call it dumped, just make the whole car vibrate. I had a lot of tools and replacement parts in the car with me and just everything rattled like crazy. My first order of business this week is to find a full catback locally and stat. While I love the sound of Flowmasters, the headache I got from just that 5 mile trip and the exhaust fumes coming into the car when I hit traffic for about 10 minutes are enough to warrant a change.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Update:

This past weekend I wasn't able to spend a lot of time on the car due to family obligations but I was able to set my alignment, install the new front crash sensors, install the new airbag diagnostic module (huge PITA to replace as it's under the middle of the dash), and replace the driverside airbag. I was also able to get to the DMV and transfer the car into my name.

My first impressions on the car in driving it (as I made a short trip home on Friday from the shop to my house after I set my alignment) is that this car is LOUD. I mean just plain stupid LOUD. The mufflers being dumped... er....the after muffler piping was removed from several angles with a hacksaw so I think you can call it dumped, just make the whole car vibrate. I had a lot of tools and replacement parts in the car with me and just everything rattled like crazy. My first order of business this week is to find a full catback locally and stat. While I love the sound of Flowmasters, the headache I got from just that 5 mile trip and the exhaust fumes coming into the car when I hit traffic for about 10 minutes are enough to warrant a change.

O/R X and Mac catback :thumbsup:

You are one motivated feller :rockon:

mysteed

Established Member
Thanks fella's. I finished installing the airbag system last night and the new FR500 steering wheel. I also had time to reinstall all the interior panels I took out and clean the windshield of all the state registration stickers. I'm still in the hunt for a set of tailpipes or a whole catback as a temporary solution to fix the exhaust drone/exhaust gasses inside the interior. Here is what I still need to finish this week/next week (and in no particular order):

Put drive time on the car to get all readiness codes cleared
Install "heat shields" on O/R midpipe to pass the visual emissions inspection
Remove tint from rear window (side windows already done)
Remove and clean carpet- replace if necessary
Get emissions test
Find coolant temp plug for aftermarket gauge- guy on SVTP is no longer selling them
Install metal crash reinforcement in front bumper
Install shorty antenna....once I find where I put it
Install Tein springs from V6 car- only a temporary fix till Spring with coilovers go on
Fix transmission crossmember bolts- weld side mounting tabs back onto car
Order shifter gasket from CobraBob
Install Roush toolkit in truck
Install 2001+ Mach460 headunit
Order new doorcups- mine are beyond saving
Order Envoy foglights and install in Cobra brackets
Order smoked BOI headlights and fabricate projector setup
Transfer tag after passing emissions
Find missing bolt for rear differential

mysteed

Established Member
Updates (both good and bad):

The good-

I was able to finish the airbag install but then when I hooked the battery back up the horn started constantly blowing. So I pulled the driver airbag back off and found that the horn blow switch was broken on both sides. Luckily I had a spare off another steering wheel that I had so I swapped them and that solved my issue. I also had the time to throughly detail the interior and to my surprise the stains and grime on the interior came out nicely so I don't think I'll be installing new carpet any time soon. I was also able to reinstall the rearview mirror and install my new transmission dust cover over the shifter at the same time. The right rear caliper was also grinding on the rotor and we found that when doing the brakes the caliper wasn't seated perfectly so thankfully that was an easy fix. In getting rid of that squeak I also noticed that there are other noises from the brakes so they'll all be coming off and getting a different lubricant on them.

The bad-

On the way to work this morning the BAB almost overheated on me. In looking at/feeling the radiator hoses it became quite apparent that the thermostat, for whatever reason, decided to not open. So I have a new thermostat and gasket on order to help solve that issue and I will also be flushing the entire coolant system at the same time in order to get a good mix of coolant and water. My stock temp gauge on the instrument cluster does not work and my cooling fan does not come on (which I assume are related issues). The problem is that I have already replaced both thecoolant temp sensors and repaired the wiring for the sensors so what I'm possibly looking at right now is a faulty coolant temp switch on the backside of the cluster. If that is the case then I may need to purchase a new cluster as I believe that Ford does not sell just the switch. Another issue that came up is that I have a very bad suspension noise in the front end that sounds like it's the swaybar moving around. I also noticed on my short ride this morning that the Theft and Airbag lights are both on. I had Justin at VMP Tuning turn off my PATS system and the airbags, airbag module, and both crash sensors were just replaced so both of those lights shouldn't be on (though part of me wonders if the computer lost it's memory of the tune parameters when I left the battery unhooked for a few nights). Furthermore I noticed that the heat for my HVAC isn't working (it was cold here this morning) and I suspect that it being inop is due to a bad blower motor but this isn't as high of a priority as the est of the issues so it may remain unsolved for a while.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Very nice job on getting it all fixed up. It's gonna make driving it all the better once it's back to 100%!

I've always wanted to bring a car back from the dead like this someday. I just hope I know what I'm getting into before buying it, instead of finding out the hard way. Great attitude about the whole thing!

On a side note, you guys on here really go bonkers over that color, haha.

Last edited:

mysteed

Established Member
That's because BAB is such a sexy color!

Well this weekend I changed the thermostat out due to the old one sticking and at the same time decided to go ahead and flush out all the coolant. Well it turns out that the car had ZERO coolant in it, only water. Thankfully since it's been below freezing here in GA I've had the car inside the heated garage. So I refilled it with the proper coolant/water mixture and swapped thermostats out (which it turns out there was a GT thermostat in it as well, so there was part of the issue). I also looked into my brake issue and the left rear brake caliper is locked down solid, so I'll be ordering one of those on Monday morning. Also, if I can remember I'll take some undercar pictures of the car for you guys on Monday when I'm back in the shop.

DougNuts

'18 F150
Established Member
Well it turns out that the car had ZERO coolant in it, only water........... (which it turns out there was a GT thermostat in it as well, so there was part of the issue). I also looked into my brake issue and the left rear brake caliper is locked down solid, so I'll be ordering one of those on Monday morning.

How does one car get so f'd up?!

wvmystichrome

Established Member
After reading this I can tell you are a much more forgiving man than I am. I would have nailed his butt in small claims court for all this stuff. Especially for selling you a wrecked car that had been heavily damaged. I would say he knew just wanted to get rid of it. Good luck.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
How does one car get so f'd up?!

I was just about to type the same thing. It's almost like someone took the car and intentionally f*cked it up. All of the replacement improperly installed, and some of the gheto fixes, make me scratch my head. Sad that all this crap was done to such an excellent car.

Glad it's in good hands now though. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread