The system is rigged

snakedoctor

Established Member
Every time I pay down a credit card to try to increase my credit score, the companies decrease my limit. Has anyone else had this issue. What's the point of paying it down if they're gonna adjust the limit that you pay down. The whole thing is a game that I'm tired of playing.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Every time I pay down a credit card to try to increase my credit score, the companies decrease my limit. Has anyone else had this issue. What's the point of paying it down if they're gonna adjust the limit that you pay down. The whole thing is a game that I'm tired of playing.

It just depends.

Say you have a $50k limit, and at one time you were putting $30k+ on it. Now you have it paid off down to $5k and have been dropping it for the last 6 months. They will absolutely drop it, because you're not showing you need that borrowing power.

PC03GT

Established Member
It just depends.

Say you have a $50k limit, and at one time you were putting $30k+ on it. Now you have it paid off down to $5k and have been dropping it for the last 6 months. They will absolutely drop it, because you're not showing you need that borrowing power.
This.....and those MOFOS want you in debt

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It just depends.

Yup, years ago as my income was rising and I used a specific CC for most of my purchases (if it had good rewards or 0% interest) I kept asking for increases if it didn't affect my credit score. Then when I stopped using that card much they started lowering the limit.

Oh well, never have more than $1000 or so combined balance on all my 8 cards.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
Happens all the time. Companies are decreasing their exposure. I have a few cards I’ve opened to get a promo rate, pay it off and balance gets slashed. I stopped using credit cards and went to Amex. Credit card rates are nuts, so if I need to extend out a purchase I just use my heloc which is a much lower rate.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm with everyone else, I have only had mine increase.

I've carried a balance one time on like $100 when I first got my credit card because I was told to do so. I'm too cheap to pay interest so I just pay them off once per month now.

I had no idea how much credit I even have, last time I checked was like 3 years ago and it was around $35,000. Pretty seldom do I ever use over 10% of it.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is SVTP, we pay straight cash because we’re all flush.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Make It Rain Money GIF

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, years ago as my income was rising and I used a specific CC for most of my purchases (if it had good rewards or 0% interest) I kept asking for increases if it didn't affect my credit score. Then when I stopped using that card much they started lowering the limit.

Oh well, never have more than $1000 or so combined balance on all my 8 cards.

Why would you need 8 credit cards if they never have more than $1k combined?

Stop the cap bro.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Fun story on CC's had a Platinum Amex 30 years ago. I called them to tell them I was going through a divorce and was checking the past months transactions because of the soon to be Ex. They sent me a cancelation notice. Never looked backed. Just don't need any of them.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Why would you need 8 credit cards if they never have more than $1k combined?

Stop the cap bro.

They all serve or served some purpose. Like my Cabela's card, Amazon card (5% back), a couple travel cards that offered high initial bonuses, my BP card (15 cents off a gallon), Best Buy card, another that has rotating 5% cash back offers and another that offers 2% on anything/everything.

Maybe 4 of them get used each month and the other 4 used once or twice a year for whatever reason to keep the account open.

2 of them do have $49 annual fees but I've gotten thousands in flights out of them so it works out.

I am one of the relatively few that has the discipline to play the CC game and win.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my limit on a card decrease because I stopped using it. Honestly it's better for your credit report to continuously paying down balances on time instead of having 0 balances. It shows your credit worthiness.

Users who are viewing this thread