The thrill is gone

oldmodman

Established Member
Sure listened to a lot of his music over the decades.

Lucille. She made such sweet sounds.

In the winter of 1949, King played at a dance hall in Twist, Arkansas. In order to heat the hall, a barrel half-filled with kerosene was lit, a fairly common practice at the time. During a performance, two men began to fight, knocking over the burning barrel and sending burning fuel across the floor. The hall burst into flames, and the building was evacuated. Once outside, King realized that he had left his guitar inside so he went back into the burning building to retrieve his beloved $30 Gibson guitar. Two men died in the fire, and King learned the next day that they had been fighting over a woman named Lucille. King subsequently named that first guitar Lucille, as well as every guitar he has owned since, as a reminder never again to do something as stupid as run into a burning building or fight over women.[1][2]

B.B. King wrote a song called "Lucille" in which he talks about his guitar and how it got its name. The song was first released as part of Lucille and is included on the B. B. King Anthology 1962–1998 album.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
RIP Blues Boy. Glad I got to visit his museum earlier this year.

ssssnake

Established Member
Sure listened to a lot of his music over the decades.

Lucille. She made such sweet sounds.

In the winter of 1949, King played at a dance hall in Twist, Arkansas. In order to heat the hall, a barrel half-filled with kerosene was lit, a fairly common practice at the time. During a performance, two men began to fight, knocking over the burning barrel and sending burning fuel across the floor. The hall burst into flames, and the building was evacuated. Once outside, King realized that he had left his guitar inside so he went back into the burning building to retrieve his beloved $30 Gibson guitar. Two men died in the fire, and King learned the next day that they had been fighting over a woman named Lucille. King subsequently named that first guitar Lucille, as well as every guitar he has owned since, as a reminder never again to do something as stupid as run into a burning building or fight over women.[1][2]

B.B. King wrote a song called "Lucille" in which he talks about his guitar and how it got its name. The song was first released as part of Lucille and is included on the B. B. King Anthology 1962–1998 album.

I don't think anyone but B.B. should play Lucille. Hopefully, she'll be put on display for all to see. What a team. RIP

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
B.B. King lit a fire and showed how to make it burn bright. It's up to the new kids now, to see if they can keep it burning. Fortunately, Blues music seems to be undergoing a renaissance, it has never been more popular than now and there is a lot of great new talent. And there's always that kid in a barn, somewhere, practicing on old rusty strings, waiting to hit it big.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
RIP B.B.

My son and I had the honor of seeing B.B. King at the legendary Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA back on October 5, 2013. At that time, dementia had set in and B.B. was on stage for about 1-1/2 hours... He performed about 4 songs during that time and spoke to the crowd. The band idled but would pick-it-up when B.B. started up for a few versus…

We were just happy to be in the presence of B.B.,"The King Of The BBlues".

i4sypU5l.png

Iagk1Q5.png

knIB4Vt.png

BSiHbl1.png

0Llukka.png

Our son received a guitar pick and lapel pin from B.B. that night.

nbtHc94l.png

I got the concert memorabilia framed along with an autographed album and pieces of the dance floor from The Surf…

xObAdKH.png

75FOBL2.png

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I was blasting up the CT-15 in Connecticut in the middle of the night when I heard the news. My first thought was "the guy is still alive!?" It's awesome that he had the life he did for as long as he did. I wonder how many of his 15 children he outlived.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread