Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Another way to scale it down is a small model plane on an actual treadmill.

Tie a string to the nose of the plane. This force will simulate thrust. Now pull it. It moves, right? K.

Now turn the treadmill on. Pull the plane along again. Still moves huh.

Crank the treadmill to max. There may be slightly more force required to pull it to overcome frictional resistance at the tires/bearings, but its never enough to limit you pulling it.

I'm sure if you could somehow control an actual flyable model plane on a large enough treadmill you could test it fully.

blk02edge

Established Member
Another way to scale it down is a small model plane on an actual treadmill.

Tie a string to the nose of the plane. This force will simulate thrust. Now pull it. It moves, right? K.

Now turn the treadmill on. Pull the plane along again. Still moves huh.

Crank the treadmill to max. There may be slightly more force required to pull it to overcome frictional resistance at the tires/bearings, but its never enough to limit you pulling it.

I'm sure if you could somehow control an actual flyable model plane on a large enough treadmill you could test it fully.
This has been done, videos are in this thread

Blown 89

Established Member
I started to understand this a little better (i think) when I thought about the wheels on the treadmill independently.

People who say there is flight are saying that no matter what the treadmill is doing, the plane creates lift. It still confuses me I guess.

Regardless, the plane in this example should never move on the treadmill no matter how fast the treadmill is moving when the plane isn’t under power correct?

The wheels just spin and spin and spin while the plane remains stationary?

So no matter what the treadmill does, thrust will move the plane forward?

Would airplanes accelerate faster or take off in a shorter distance if they were taking off on a treadmill moving in the same direction? I’m guessing no I think…

Help!
The best demonstration I've seen for this was wearing roller skates on while on a treadmill and holding a rope. When the treadmill is going you just hold on to the rope and stay stationary and to move forward you simply hand over hand on the rope and pull yourself forward with minimal force. It doesn't matter how fast the treadmill is going, all you have to do is overcome friction in the bearings to pull yourself forward. Hands=prop, rope=air. The prop is basically pulling on the air to go forward so the plane moves, generates lift, and takes off easily.

If the plane isn't under power it will move backwards but yes, no matter what the treadmill does thrust will move the plane forward. If the treadmill was moving forward it wouldn't make much a difference in takeoff because the wheel bearing friction is minimal. To put the friction into perspective, a Cesna 172 weights around 1,500 lbs empty and 2,500 lbs loaded......it's easily pushed into hangers with a hand truck. It's much easier to push than a car because you're not fighting the friction of gear trains.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Where's deceptive?

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app[/QUOTE

IMG_6686.JPG

Standing on the porch at a cabin in Georgia drinking Balvenie Caribbean Cask.

For that WAP, Tyre was willing to change his pronouns to was/were.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Where's deceptive?

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Do you need him to sign for your L?
I started to understand this a little better (i think) when I thought about the wheels on the treadmill independently.

People who say there is flight are saying that no matter what the treadmill is doing, the plane creates lift. It still confuses me I guess.

Regardless, the plane in this example should never move on the treadmill no matter how fast the treadmill is moving when the plane isn’t under power correct?

The wheels just spin and spin and spin while the plane remains stationary?

So no matter what the treadmill does, thrust will move the plane forward?

Would airplanes accelerate faster or take off in a shorter distance if they were taking off on a treadmill moving in the same direction? I’m guessing no I think…

Help!
The wheels have absolutely nothing to do with the acceleration of the plane generated by thrust. Thrust is pushing against the air, not the ground (or moving ground).

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
An answer from an actual university physics department not a bunch of I googled on the interwebz.

Again, depending on parameters the plane can both take off and not take off.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
The entire Denver Metro Area is about to lift off due to thrust created from the Gas Turbines I just Throttled up to max. Keep your eye on the sky boys.

giphy.gif

FJohnny

Established Member
serious question, could you run a draggy on the dyno and get 1/4 numbers?
Well of course you could.

The dyno will have to be a mobile truck mounted one. The driver ideally blasts off a 1/4 mile effort while simultaneously running your pull.

Before you try this you should check whether it is legal in your state.

Trucks equipped like this will not provide a good estimate of your car's potential E.T. Most times it will read higher time and lower trap speed.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread