"The ZL1 name should be protected"

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
It is not out of the realm of reality that Ford themselves could do a mid MY13 release. Since the Shelby/Ford contract will expire in Jan 2013 (as far as I know), could SVT finally do the 20th Anniversary Cobra R? May give this IRS a shot... I asked Jamal this very question and the question was passed on :(

427752_344314342267004_100000653239737_1153028_1352036118_n.jpg
403739_344194225612349_100000653239737_1152829_1488077391_n.jpg

Dont know man, I highly doubt Ford would make a PURE SVT Cobra in the 10-14 body Style.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
I agree with you Ry about all the spewing, but the fact that it does exist should get Road Racers happy...

I was particularly surprised about the fact that the IRS was actually more weight-efficient than the solid axle setup. I had always believed that both cost and weight were reasons why we still had the solid axle back there.

He does seem to take plenty of jabs at the Mustang itself though. Made it harder to find the pertinent information throughout. If he's going to write up something that informational and detailed, he'd probably do better to leave the over-the-top stuff out of it. Just IMO though.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I was particularly surprised about the fact that the IRS was actually more weight-efficient than the solid axle setup. I had always believed that both cost and weight were reasons why we still had the solid axle back there.

He does seem to take plenty of jabs at the Mustang itself though. Made it harder to find the pertinent information throughout. If he's going to write up something that informational and detailed, he'd probably do better to leave the over-the-top stuff out of it. Just IMO though.
The system itself looks great. There is plenty of room for coil-overs and multiple locations the Control Blade could be positioned. Exhaust would run under the sub frame so no more "over the axle". The twin aluminum sub-frame would mount onto the body and act as a huge sub-frame connector. This won't be the last time we see this IRX...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Sorry, just merely pointing out that SVT hasn't played any of their cards yet. Better rubber, 285/305, Coil overs, CBIRS and eventually MRC :(

Edit: Oh, and Virtual Pivot Control Link front suspension...

i think those questions will be answered with the new model in 2015...however if it looks as gay as some of the renderings because of this global platform thing, ill be pissed. Ideally ford would add more advanced stuff in the cars now, but the aftermarket is there for that i guess

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
i think those questions will be answered with the new model in 2015...however if it looks as gay as some of the renderings because of this global platform thing, ill be pissed. Ideally ford would add more advanced stuff in the cars now, but the aftermarket is there for that i guess
It appears that the platform will be an evolution of the current one to keep cost way down. Just as the SN95's used the Fox4 which was an improved Fox chassis. I am thinking the weight savings of a DEW98 with S197 dimensions.. DEW15 maybe.

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
Since you guys are my bestest friends in the whole World.... Wide Web...

Here is a great independent published read on the S197 IRS. It weighed less than our current SRA. This is not Control Blade (unless somebody sees trailing arm mounts)

DrivingEnthusiast Blog | All about the missing Mustang IRS

Super great read... lots of pictures... IF YOU ARE AN S197 ENTHUSIAST, READ THIS ARTICLE!!!

s197-mustang-production-irs-7.png

It is not out of the realm of reality that Ford themselves could do a mid MY13 release. Since the Shelby/Ford contract will expire in Jan 2013 (as far as I know), could SVT finally do the 20th Anniversary Cobra R? May give this IRS a shot... I asked Jamal this very question and the question was passed on :(

427752_344314342267004_100000653239737_1153028_1352036118_n.jpg
403739_344194225612349_100000653239737_1152829_1488077391_n.jpg

Who was the gentleman who wrote this article? What he presented demonstrates that he is very knowledgeable and calls a spade a spade.
Ford made a very poor business decision here not moving forth with the IRS, unless it was secertly flawed.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Who was the gentleman who wrote this article? What he presented demonstrates that he is very knowledgeable and calls a spade a spade.
Ford made a very poor business decision here not moving forth with the IRS, unless it was secertly flawed.
No know author, it wasn't flawed but the budget was... not as robust as the IRS you just saw.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Pill - it's a trap!
Nobody traps the Pill, ask Abu Mahmood AQIZ Lieutenant. He tried to trap me, but I gave him a Mossberg tattoo with rubber buck about 3 meters from muzzle to face.... :dancenana:

Edit: Don't feel bad, he didn't die.... but they hung him Baghdad 13 days later...:D

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Last edited:

cobra990001

I wrote it... and after owning 14 late model Mustangs from '79 up - all the major ones including an original SVO (and every single one of them used in open track events, and every single one required suspension and brake modes to varying degrees), and even some earlier classic Mustangs and Cougars, I'm sick of Ford giving us a half-ass suspension. I want to see what Ford engineers are capable of, not what they are limited to.
So, yea, I call a spade a spade. I've lost patience after many years of owning Mustangs (although I currently track a 2013 'Boss).
We know they can do so much better... and the all-new IRS on the 2015 looks like the beancounters finally got out of the way (except I'd prefer integral parking brakes, rather than ye old windup spring on the caliper).
And, BTW, the 2015 IRS has zero relationship to the Aussie control blade IRS. That was looked at ten years ago and quickly abandoned. It was cheap to build thanks to a bunch of stamped parts... but the geometry was far less than ideal. The idea that the back half of a Falcon and a Mustang could be identical was also dropped at the same time. Some people think it might be back in the upcoming new Falcon... but budget forces most of that car to be just another "top hat". The end is near for the Falcon.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wrote it... and after owning 14 late model Mustangs from '79 up - all the major ones including an original SVO (and every single one of them used in open track events, and every single one required suspension and brake modes to varying degrees), and even some earlier classic Mustangs and Cougars, I'm sick of Ford giving us a half-ass suspension. I want to see what Ford engineers are capable of, not what they are limited to.
So, yea, I call a spade a spade. I've lost patience after many years of owning Mustangs (although I currently track a 2013 'Boss).
We know they can do so much better... and the all-new IRS on the 2015 looks like the beancounters finally got out of the way (except I'd prefer integral parking brakes, rather than ye old windup spring on the caliper).
And, BTW, the 2015 IRS has zero relationship to the Aussie control blade IRS. That was looked at ten years ago and quickly abandoned. It was cheap to build thanks to a bunch of stamped parts... but the geometry was far less than ideal. The idea that the back half of a Falcon and a Mustang could be identical was also dropped at the same time. Some people think it might be back in the upcoming new Falcon... but budget forces most of that car to be just another "top hat". The end is near for the Falcon.

I would say welcome to SVTP, but you've been here for 3 years. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread