Thick white smoke and strong gas smell???

Moose04

Established Member
I changed the fuel filter the other day on my 04 Cobra. I ran the car then pulled the fuel pump fuse and let the car die to relieve some of the fuel pressure. When I got done I cycled the key a few times to build some pressure in the lines. When I started the car there was thick white smoke coming from the exhaust and had a real strong raw gas smell. The service engine light came on, too. It never ran hot. I cut the car off and unhooked the battery for a few minutes. When I hooked it back up the car ran fine. Anybody have a clue why it done this? I'm thinking I cycled the key to many times between off and on and it built to much pressure in the lines causing it to run really rich. Everybody says that it's a black smoke if running rich, though. Did this hurt the engine????

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Subbing. I've never done those procedures before changing a fuel filter. I just let the car sit over night and do it the next day.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I think pulling fuse and run car caused sel

where you live. ..did it freeze. .

White smoke could be a few things

TRBO VNM

Did you put the fuel filter in the correct direction? Not that it would cause anything, but curious.

And yeah, engine light is because of running it without the fuel pump fuse. Probably FPDM code, P1233 I think it is

Moose04

Established Member
I think pulling fuse and run car caused sel

where you live. ..did it freeze. .

White smoke could be a few things

It was cold, but didn't freeze. Is it possible I cycled the key to many times making it run really rich. It's was really thick smoke and was still in the tips after shutting the car off. It wasn't a mist. The car ran fine after I disconnected the battery then hooked it back up. The service engine light didn't come on after that either.

Moose04

Established Member
Did you put the fuel filter in the correct direction? Not that it would cause anything, but curious.

And yeah, engine light is because of running it without the fuel pump fuse. Probably FPDM code, P1233 I think it is

I put the fuel filter in the right direction. Always make double sure I do. I changed them all the time in my old 01 GT I use to have. This is the first time doing it on my Cobra. I was just worried that I lean it out or cause detonation, but I guess from the gas smell that it wasn't lean, but rich

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It was cold, but didn't freeze. Is it possible I cycled the key to many times making it run really rich. It's was really thick smoke and was still in the tips after shutting the car off. It wasn't a mist. The car ran fine after I disconnected the battery then hooked it back up. The service engine light didn't come on after that either.

I don't see that cycling the key a few times is going to make it rich. It's not like it's dumping raw fuel into the cylinders every time the key is cycled.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Moose0It was cold said:
Now that you disconneted negative you need to drive it..

google fords drivecycle on what pcm does..

nothing to do but drive car normal ...

when doing compression test I take out fuel pump fuse to disable ..

Still hard to say on white smoke..

sometimes other things just happen unrelated. .

our cooling system for supercharger has 2 bypass tubes 4 orings are used to seal.

Cold weather and age can cause leak.

That will smoke like blown head gasket ..

as will a cracked intercooler..

Have you checked fluids

Moose04

Established Member
I don't see that cycling the key a few times is going to make it rich. It's not like it's dumping raw fuel into the cylinders every time the key is cycled.

Don't it pressurize the system when you turn the key from off to the on position. So if it does then every time you cycle the key, without starting the car, don't it just keep building pressure until you do start it?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't it pressurize the system when you turn the key from off to the on position. So if it does then every time you cycle the key, without starting the car, don't it just keep building pressure until you do start it?

I'm not 100% sure how it all works, maybe someone else will answer. However I did have a leaky injector. If the car sat for awhile, fuel would leak onto the piston. Then once I'd start the car I would get a little smoke from the unburnt fuel.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Yeah i always thought white smoke was coolant. I doubt it is in your situation though since you just changed the fuel filter.

Moose04

Established Member
Now that you disconneted negative you need to drive it..

google fords drivecycle on what pcm does..

nothing to do but drive car normal ...

when doing compression test I take out fuel pump fuse to disable ..

Still hard to say on white smoke..

sometimes other things just happen unrelated. .

our cooling system for supercharger has 2 bypass tubes 4 orings are used to seal.

Cold weather and age can cause leak.

That will smoke like blown head gasket ..

as will a cracked intercooler..

Have you checked fluids

I didn't have time to drive it the other day. I'll have to take it for a drive this weekend. All my fluides seems fine. First thing I done was check the oil and it was fine, not milky. Coolant seemed fine, too, no oil. I'll drive this weekend and update.

Moose04

Established Member
Yeah i always thought white smoke was coolant. I doubt it is in your situation though since you just changed the fuel filter.

That's what I thought, too. Can't be that cause all I messed with is the fuel pump fuse and fuel filter. It ran fine before I pulled the fuse. I won't be pulling that fuse again.

joshcarp81

Established Member
All you were doing is priming the pumps.
No way to over pressurize. No fuel is delivered until there is a crank situation.
The couple seconds the pumps are on in the key on position is a timed event meant to prime lines/rails only.

Woody6799

Established Member
All you were doing is priming the pumps.
No way to over pressurize. No fuel is delivered until there is a crank situation.
The couple seconds the pumps are on in the key on position is a timed event meant to prime lines/rails only.

This, your key cycles did nothing to hurt it.

cj428mach

Established Member
The computer reads the frps in order to determine how long to fire the injectors based off the pressure it sees.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Since you just messed with the fuel system and THEN the problem started, the fuel system must be the culprit. I haven't done this in my Terminator, but to relieve pressure for an install in my Shelby, per Ford's install instructions, with the car OFF, I pulled the fuel pump relay and then tried to start the car (crank it). This relieved pressure in the rail. Once the install was done, I then simply started the car normally (not cycling the key).

Users who are viewing this thread