Think I'll make it?

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
I'm about to be sent to Texas from Sacramento for work this summer. I'm
Thinking of taking my DD it's a 1993 Toyota truck 22re 2wd. It has 239k on the odometer. New timing chain, water pump, and stat. I'm planning on changing out plugs and wires and of course a fresh fluid change all around. I hear these 22re's are like tractor motors. You think she will make the 2000+ mile journey across the desert?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Get AAA and have a back up plan. I'd be careful about traveling at night if you are not a night shift person. It will help avoid the crazy traffic in the cities but will make lodging difficult. You will have to drive until 2pm to check in most places. It is hot and risky to sleep at rest stops.

maybe be on the road at 0400-0430 each morning?

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I have a 94 4wd w/ 292,000 miles it is my daily driver and I would take her across the country with out thinking twice. Just wish I had some damn cruise control!

StangJason

Established Member
I would trust my 320,000 mile Civic to make the journey but I don't know about your truck but if I had to bet I'd say yes.

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
Yeah I'm sure it will be an adventure. Googles telling me it's 30 hours of driving. I work for the railroad so I'm used to operating in delirious states of exhaustion. I'm pretty confident in the motor, but I have no idea about the mileage on the clutch.

oldmodman

Established Member
It already survived the incredibly hot Sacramento summers didn't it?

You won't have any problem. A guy down the street just did the trip backwards with a one year newer truck. And he was towing a small trailer with two dirt bikes on it. Never overheated, and he ran the AC all the time. And his truck is a hand me down from his dad. It has more miles on it than yours.

Black306

Established Member
I'd take my DD 198k+ '92 Toyota 2wd 3VZE (V6) p/u cross country in a heartbeat, and the 3VZEs are arguably less reliable than 22R(E)s. Looks like a pile, drives like a champ.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like your truck has been properly maintained, so I would not be concerned. Hope it is a very pleasant and easy trip for you.

Coiled03

Established Member
Make sure you have a good roadside assistance plan, and hit the road. What's the worst that can happen?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Take a 5 gallon container of water with you just in case. and when you see a sign that says "last gas for 250 miles" believe it and top off your tank.

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Well I have a 89 4runner with a 22re and taken many long trips. Have gone to Tenn and back for a off road trip and she did good. My 4runner has 1ton axles and 37 inch tires only shity part was no power what so ever. Just drive it normal and not like a race truck I made that mistake once hehe.
Oh yeah take a gallon of water,quart of oil, and enigne belts just in case.

Last edited:

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
definitely

when i had my 22re 4runner 4wd with over 200k I would've went without thinking twice

Users who are viewing this thread