Thinking about a Mach

radaman

Established Member
Id go with the cobra. Love the Mach and all the attention it gets (...the ram ait hood), the cobra does have the forged bottom end and IRS. Also, u could get the mach and spend a couple G's beefing up the bootom and a few more g's on a blower afterwards. Come out to the same money spent either way.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Oh that's right, because the grill delete LOOKS better, the GT owners copied it! If you remove the fender badges, in profile a Cobra looks identical to a V6! A large number of Mach 1's still have the original wheels, and even if they don't, they will have a variation of the originals in either all chrome, machined, or black chrome. Trust me, I've entered my car in enough car shows over the past 6+ years, people notice that it's not your run of the mill Mustang V6 or GT. Even when it's parked in a sea of Cobras, Saleens, and Roushes, people notice and comment on it favorably over the others.

Guess we all have different experiences.....been to a "few" car shows myself in several different states. MANY people have no clue that the Mach even exists. I get asked ALL THE TIME how much it cost and where I got the shaker done. Every now and then I run into someone who really knows the cars but by and large MOST people outside the Mustang Community haven't a clue what a Mach1 is. Sure WE know the subtle differences- but we should- we own the damn things:idea: The noticable differences for the 03/04 Cobra: it has different sideskirts, dual functional vented hood, different front/rear bumper covers, different side mirrors, different wing, WIDER tires, and different exhaust...and that's not even mentioning the badging or the interior. On the other hand we SHARE with the GT/V6: wing, front and rear bumper, sideskirts, and side mirrors- hell the 03 Mach even has the same fender badge as a V6- and like YOU said, everyone has the grill delete so no big difference there either. So like I said- what the difference really comes down to is a few stickers and the shaker. When you look at a Cobra even non Stang enthusiasts know what it is because of all the differences. MOST people look at Machs and think we just added a shaker. THAT'S MY POINT. Oh yeah- what's this black chrome you are talking about? LOL (see sig)

Last edited:

STG

Banned
Good thing I don't care what other people think of my Mach 1.

If I did care, my car would have a shorty antenna, AFS imitation Magnum 500 Mach 1 wheels (wider in the rear with peeling clearcoat front and rear) 315mm Nitto rear tires, limo tint, a Bullit gasoline door, aluminum MUSTANG letter inserts on the rear bumper and a windshield tint with "BADASS RACING" scrawled across it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Good thing I don't care what other people think of my Mach 1.

If I did care, my car would have a shorty antenna, AFS imitation Magnum 500 Mach 1 wheels (wider in the rear with peeling clearcoat front and rear) 315mm Nitto rear tires, limo tint, a Bullit gasoline door, aluminum MUSTANG letter inserts on the rear bumper and a windshield tint with "BADASS RACING" scrawled across it.

I must say your car looks pretty damn good. I am surprised at how good those wheels look. Perfect stance too:beer:

Furinox

Established Member
The only time you'd need meth is if you went with a non intercooled blower kit. If you have a good intercooler, meth is pretty much pointless. With an 80* ambient temp my IAT's were barely over 90.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I owned an AB Mach for about a year before I got hit and totaled. Basic exhaust, intake, and gear (4.30) car I DD'd. Now I've had my Terminator for roughly 2 months and still DD this car with absolutely no problems. I though the Mach pulled hard with the gears, but I can't get over the eaton whine and how it never stops pulling.

I miss the styling cues of the Mach 1, being more old school hot rod, but I like the sexy horsepower look of my Cobra. I also paid exactly the same amount for my Terminator that I did for my Mach a year beforehand, with near idential mileage.

I guess to sum it up, the Mach was fun, the Cobra is more fun.

STG

Banned
I must say your car looks pretty damn good. I am surprised at how good those wheels look. Perfect stance too:beer:

Thanks! They are pretty close to the original Halibrand style. With full size spin-on knock offs and lug nut covers, the members of the Cobra Owners Club of America (as in AC 289 / 427) asked me how I adapted pin drive to my Mustang. That included Lynn Park, who manufacturers exact Halibrand Trigo replicas.

H&R Super Sports with isolators, MM adjustable control arms. MM full length welded sub connectors make ground clearance as low as you'd want to go in Wyoming.

MACH1-CAL-SPEEDWAY-SIG.jpg

Last edited:

Stryker1

Established Member
At the end of the day, when trying to decide between the mach and the cobra is... "how much do i wanna spend, andd how fast do i wanna go"? If you are willing to drop the extra coin right off the bat to jump into a cobra then go for it. If you would rather save some cash up front, buy a mach and take your time building it.. either way, they are both nice cars and cant go wrong with either.

Mach1Chick

Wanna Race?
Established Member
Go with the Mach 1! I was in the same situation as you a year ago, when deciding on what i wanted to do. I DD my Mach 1 and raced it all season long last year with little mods and placed 4th! Its an awesome car and i see soooo many damn terminators that i just feel like they are everywhere. I'm not saying they arent nice cars, because they def. turn my head, but i would choose the Mach over one anyday. It sounds like you arent looking for a complete horsepower/torque monster right now anyway, so its not like you have to think about ALL the possible mods to do to the damn thing. When the time comes that you have the money to spend on the car, your going to dish it out either way, even if the Cobra's come with a little more gadgets from the get-go. :beer:

rajiv1998

Established Member
Well its not gonna be a bolt on mach, its gonna have some kind of FI. Im looking at one as we speak with a procharger and bolt on with 8 psi. Im also looking at one with a bulit motor and DSc-1 with 550 to the wheels (but its a little outta my $ range). Now the question is... a procharged mach typically runs 8pis (thats what most ppl do) and a good tune with bolt ons gets you easily 450+...compare that to a termi with a ported steggy and pulley??? And please do not bullshit fellas, i know this is SVT.com but when some1 on LS1.com asked the famous question "Whats faster stock for stock, an 03 cobra or an 02 WS6" my answer was..............

COBRA.

Users who are viewing this thread