Thinking about a Mach

rajiv1998

Established Member
Hey guys. I joined the forums recently because I am interested in purchasing a new stang. I have narrowed it down to either a 03/04 cobra or a Mach1. I am a long time GM fan (I recently sold my 1998 Trans Am). Although I love LS1's, I am thinking about going a differant route. Im not really a mustang fan but these are the two that really get my attention.

I know the deal with cobras. Intake,exhuast,port the blower, pulley and tune and ur looking at an easy 500+ HP at the wheels w/o even getting ur hands dirty. However this will be my DD and im thinking it might be a bit much. Maintainance, gas, insurance etc...

I love the way the Mach looks. I think it perfect for my driving needs and I know i can always mod it.

Whats the main differance between the two? Any weak points? I know on the LS1's you cant run slicks on the stock rear w/o it blowing up (Im surprised mine lasted so long). What are the pros and cons of both cars? Any input would be great. Is the cobra worth the extra 10k??? How does the Mach respond to mods? I know with LS1's a full exhaust and intake along with a tune is good for about 350 hp.

Last edited:

99BlownVert

Established Member
i would say the mach if you want a good DD. The cobra is a much more fun car but i love my mach 1 it gets more looks and questions than the black 03 cobra vert. I would def. go with a mach, as long as its azure blue! haha

EVO-lution

Established Member
i would say the mach if you want a good DD. The cobra is a much more fun car but i love my mach 1 it gets more looks and questions than the black 03 cobra vert. I would def. go with a mach, as long as its azure blue! haha

I usually get one of these responses from people, "how'd you make that scoop work and how much was it to cut the hole in the hood?" or this one. Thats a nice sixxer. How much did that set you back to make it look like that?" hahahaha.

EVO-lution

Established Member
by the way I ran my buddies 03 termie and it was too close if you ask me maybe 1.25 difference.

yea i ran a termi one day and i hung with him. I mean we can say these cars are faster than terminators with bolt-ons but I have to admit that I didnt believe the hype until I drove mine. These things hold their own on the road. Way faster than my 99 Cobra.

03evil_mach_1

Established Member
the one thing that u will notice is a big ass power diff. i had
a 00 camaro ss an damn i will say that it had a lot more torque than my
mach. an its easier an cheaper to get better results on a ls1 than the 4v's.

but i say u should get one, an for those extra 10k u can put them into the mach an
out run the termi's. an also IMO machs are more rare

i have mine for sale if intrested 03 ow mach 1 16k miles

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
A slightly different POV.

If you know where to look the price difference between the Mach and Terminator is no where near 10k. And unless your bolt ons include FI you're NOT going to beat many bolt on Terminators in a bolton Mach.

Generally speaking in a Mach to get 350 to the ground NA you are going to need full exhaust to include LT's, TB, CAI, UDP's, Tune/hand held tuner, Mezziere H2O pump, and possibly some cams to put you over the top. After all is said and done after buying the parts and getting them installed/properly tuned, dyno time etc you are looking @ at least 3.5-4k possibly as high as 6k depending on setup. And all that gets you about 15-20 RWHP LESS than a STOCK Terminator.

I know this isn't the most popular opinion in this section but IMO go with the Terminator. I've owned both and really like both. But for sheer power, ease of modification, and best all around "bang for the buck" the Terminator is the way to go. The clutch does suck but I got used to mine after a while. That being said BOTH cars are great cars.

GL in whatever you decide.:beer:

cobra916

Established Member
mach stock with 430s will be very close ROLL race with a stock 6.0 gto, 2nd gear all the way to end of 4th.. thas with holding 2nd to 6500 then 6300ish in 3rd.. with the right set of cams that can hold power to 7k these cars can be real quick.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member

If you know where to look the price difference between the Mach and Terminator is no where near 10k. And unless your bolt ons include FI you're NOT going to beat many bolt on Terminators in a bolton Mach.

Generally speaking in a Mach to get 350 to the ground NA you are going to need full exhaust to include LT's, TB, CAI, UDP's, Tune/hand held tuner, Mezziere H2O pump, and possibly some cams to put you over the top. After all is said and done after buying the parts and getting them installed/properly tuned, dyno time etc you are looking @ at least 3.5-4k possibly as high as 6k depending on setup. And all that gets you about 15-20 RWHP LESS than a STOCK Terminator.

I know this isn't the most popular opinion in this section but IMO go with the Terminator. I've owned both and really like both. But for sheer power, ease of modification, and best all around "bang for the buck" the Terminator is the way to go. The clutch does suck but I got used to mine after a while. That being said BOTH cars are great cars.

I agree with this. Except that a bolt on Mach WITHOUT cams and good driver could be a very good race for a stock/stockish Terminator(stock pullied and manifolds). Coming out of an LS1 the Mach will be very comparable. On paper the LS1 puts out more power but when racing the 2 alot of the time its too close to call.

As for the price difference its all up to you. The 6-10k extra for a Cobra is worth it though. Everyones opinions differ but I would rather have a car that comes from the factory with forged internals and blown that put an SC on a car that doesnt. Thats just me though.

I have contemplated sellng my SS and getting a Mach many times. They are awesome cars.

DR 305

Banned
Absolutely, go for the Terminator. If you read all the Mach forums, just about every mod the Mach owners have done to their Machs, the Terminators came with stock. It is set up for high HP from the factory. Better suspension components, forged motor, 6 speed trans, KB or Whipple super charger ready, oil coolers, power steering coolers, better interior seats and dash, all the trick race stuff from the factory. Just one case and point. A lot of the Mach guys are switching to Terminator mirrors, these are over $600 for the pair from the Ford dealer, not including the cost to paint them. The list goes on and on. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mach, but if I had it to do over, I would have went with the Terminator. JMO :banana:

Nineonesix

Established Member

but i say u should get one, an for those extra 10k u can put them into the mach an

You just bought it why are you getting rid of it?

divided

Established Member
Absolutely, go for the Terminator. If you read all the Mach forums, just about every mod the Mach owners have done to their Machs, the Terminators came with stock. It is set up for high HP from the factory. Better suspension components, forged motor, 6 speed trans, KB or Whipple super charger ready, oil coolers, power steering coolers, better interior seats and dash, all the trick race stuff from the factory. Just one case and point. A lot of the Mach guys are switching to Terminator mirrors, these are over $600 for the pair from the Ford dealer, not including the cost to paint them. The list goes on and on. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mach, but if I had it to do over, I would have went with the Terminator. JMO :banana:

This about sums it up.

Terminators are NOWHERE near 10K more than a Mach1. Especially in todays market. Id say keep looking/saving and get the Cobra. I have one I DD and even just intake/exhaust is plenty for DD duty. IMO. To get anywhere near that power in a Mach is going to mean full-bolt ons+ some. Compare the potential problems having such a modified car vs a close to stock. Just my opinion.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member

This about sums it up.

Terminators are NOWHERE near 10K more than a Mach1. Especially in todays market. Id say keep looking/saving and get the Cobra. I have one I DD and even just intake/exhaust is plenty for DD duty. IMO. To get anywhere near that power in a Mach is going to mean full-bolt ons+ some. Compare the potential problems having such a modified car vs a close to stock. Just my opinion.

Pretty much my way of thinking. I use this logic to talk myself out of getting a Mach everytime I get the urge to buy another car. I would be satisfied with it for awhile but once the bolt ons were done I would SERIOUSLY regret not saving that little extra cash and going for the Terminator.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member

A Mach 1 can edge out the Cobra in the Insurance department for some people. The Cobra definitely gets the edge in Transmission (T-56 versus the T-3560) and Motor with the built bottom end and HEaton Blower. Clutch edge goes to the Mach for daily driving although you can get used to the Cobra's. As for the rear end for daily driving you can't beat an IRS and the Cobra does come with the Bilsteins in all four corners. The Mach solid rides great too and I have taken mine from PA to Florida and Alabama or pretty much driven the whole East Coast with it. I would say the seats are very close but I give the Mach 1's seats a slight edge since they are a little softer and more confortable on long rides. Overall for performance bang for the buck and for a faster car I would say a Cobra but you would not be dissapointed in a Mach 1 either! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

NO offense...but you speak about a car that you've hardly owned and done next to no mods. The gains per mod are almost identical. It's once you crack open the valve covers the mach loses. (pushrod vs. modular). See below message.....:beer:

I agree with this. Except that a bolt on Mach WITHOUT cams and good driver could be a very good race for a stock/stockish Terminator(stock pullied and manifolds). Coming out of an LS1 the Mach will be very comparable. On paper the LS1 puts out more power but when racing the 2 alot of the time its too close to call.

As for the price difference its all up to you. The 6-10k extra for a Cobra is worth it though. Everyones opinions differ but I would rather have a car that comes from the factory with forged internals and blown that put an SC on a car that doesnt. Thats just me though.

I have contemplated sellng my SS and getting a Mach many times. They are awesome cars.

This about sums it up.

I disagree slightly with the above. Not to start a shit storm, but have you two owned the other cars along with your machs and Cobra's? I dont' ask to downgrade your opinions, just wondering how much solid seat time experience you've had in both cars.

A Mach 1 can edge out the Cobra in the Insurance department for some people. The Cobra definitely gets the edge in Transmission (T-56 versus the T-3560) and Motor with the built bottom end and HEaton Blower. Clutch edge goes to the Mach for daily driving although you can get used to the Cobra's. As for the rear end for daily driving you can't beat an IRS and the Cobra does come with the Bilsteins in all four corners. The Mach solid rides great too and I have taken mine from PA to Florida and Alabama or pretty much driven the whole East Coast with it. I would say the seats are very close but I give the Mach 1's seats a slight edge since they are a little softer and more confortable on long rides. Overall for performance bang for the buck and for a faster car I would say a Cobra but you would not be dissapointed in a Mach 1 either! :thumbsup:

^^^^THis about sums it up. REally it comes down to the individual person. We can all say what "WE'd" do, but that doesn't mean much to the OP's preferences.

(btw - I like the 3650....well, ok, the gearing. That 3.31 first gear is nice.) Oh, and seats for the MACH...my clothes kept getting caught on the suede and it was annoying. :lol1::beer:

Last edited:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
NO offense...but you speak about a car that you've hardly owned and done next to no mods. The gains per mod are almost identical. It's once you crack open the valve covers the mach loses. (pushrod vs. modular). See below message.....:beer:

I disagree slightly with the above. Not to start a shit storm, but have you two owned the other cars along with your machs and Cobra's? I dont' ask to downgrade your opinions, just wondering how much solid seat time experience you've had in both cars.

^^^^THis about sums it up. REally it comes down to the individual person. We can all say what "WE'd" do, but that doesn't mean much to the OP's preferences.

(btw - I like the 3650....well, ok, the gearing. That 3.31 first gear is nice.) Oh, and seats for the MACH...my clothes kept getting caught on the suede and it was annoying. :lol1::beer:

Yeah you are right about the 3.31 first gear. With the blower and the stock 3.55's it still track friendly and fun as hell on the streets! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread