Thinking about buying a GT500...

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
After the 2004 Terminator being totalled by insurance after my whipe out hydroplane in the rain 2 weeks ago, i've recently seen a few GT500s around me for about $35,000-$39,000.

I read all 5 pages of the "GT500 vs Terminator" thread here and it was good to hear peoples opinions, especially those who owned both cars.

I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with the GT500s that I should be aware of....

for example: the 03/04 terminators have a known poor head cooling issue on the driver side. They also have a known issue with the guide sleeve and TOB in the trans breaking and rattling and the week 10spline input shaft snapping with mods on the terminators, etc etc.

Is there anything like this with the GT500s?

I hear something about a slipping clutch issue? and a Ford TSB #?

...I'm waiting on my insurance money from the terminator and i'm seriously debating putting $10,000 or more down payment on one of these bad boys.

Personally, I'm 26, and have had 2 99-04 body style mustangs now...a 2002 GT and the 2004 Cobra both combine over the past 5 years straight. While I loved the terminator, and it was an unfortunate accident that randomly now has me looking for a new mustang....i think its time to move on to the new body style.

And the GT500s are surprisingly a lot more affordable than they used to be!! AND I see a lot for sale since everyone that has/had one is jumping ship to buy the new 2010 model! So more for me!!! :)

Whats everyone else's opinions on the GT500s?

Zeke0123

Established Member
After the 2004 Terminator being totalled by insurance after my whipe out hydroplane in the rain 2 weeks ago, i've recently seen a few GT500s around me for about $35,000-$39,000.

I read all 5 pages of the "GT500 vs Terminator" thread here and it was good to hear peoples opinions, especially those who owned both cars.

I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with the GT500s that I should be aware of....

for example: the 03/04 terminators have a known poor head cooling issue on the driver side. They also have a known issue with the guide sleeve and TOB in the trans breaking and rattling and the week 10spline input shaft snapping with mods on the terminators, etc etc.

Is there anything like this with the GT500s?

I hear something about a slipping clutch issue? and a Ford TSB #?

...I'm waiting on my insurance money from the terminator and i'm seriously debating putting $10,000 or more down payment on one of these bad boys.

Personally, I'm 26, and have had 2 99-04 body style mustangs now...a 2002 GT and the 2004 Cobra both combine over the past 5 years straight. While I loved the terminator, and it was an unfortunate accident that randomly now has me looking for a new mustang....i think its time to move on to the new body style.

And the GT500s are surprisingly a lot more affordable than they used to be!! AND I see a lot for sale since everyone that has/had one is jumping ship to buy the new 2010 model! So more for me!!! :)

Whats everyone else's opinions on the GT500s?
Take one for a test drive...and yes ford has a tsb on tranny for 07-08.

Blaine

Established Member
07-early 08 GT500 have a clutch/flywheel TSB. Do a search. There is a few posts on this.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Drive one and you will buy it. I've had an modded 04 Cobra and now my GT500 and they are different animals. Take a used GT500 for a spin and see if you like it otherwise pick up another terminator. Both are great cars, but to me the GT500 is a little more refined.

chuckstang

Established Member
There is a TSB for the Tranny but that is it really.

I would look for a late build 09 and you will have no issues!

I said it before ,the Term is quicker but the GT500 is faster

GT500 has long legs, great highway car, no cooling issues, lots of tq and no wheel hop with a few inexpensive mods

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
There is a TSB for the Tranny but that is it really.

I would look for a late build 09 and you will have no issues!

I said it before ,the Term is quicker but the GT500 is faster

GT500 has long legs, great highway car, no cooling issues, lots of tq and no wheel hop with a few inexpensive mods

Late build 08 and 09s are very expensive still. Well over 40 grand, some into the 50gs.

I just put a down payment to hold a car i'm about to go buy.

2007 Shelby GT500 Black/white 1,300 miles for $35,280 out the door. Bone stock

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Late build 08 and 09s are very expensive still. Well over 40 grand, some into the 50gs.

I just put a down payment to hold a car i'm about to go buy.

2007 Shelby GT500 Black/white 1,300 miles for $35,280 out the door. Bone stock

looks like a good deal man. enjoy

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
looks like a good deal man. enjoy

I'd say considering 3 dealers by me are selling 2007s and 2008s for $40,000 and more. And the cheapest on E-bay are $42,000+ ...all have more than 1,300 miles too.

I'm happy with the deal, just waiting on the financing and a day off from work to go get it :)

I'm actually pretty luck because I really would only want a black shelby with white stripes....which this is ;) the only one on the internet I might add LOL

Users who are viewing this thread