Thinking about buying a Jeep...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never had one, it wouldn't get driven much.

It's a 2011 Rubicon 4 door. Black/black with a hard top. Extremely clean with 70k miles. Thinking a 3-4" lift, 18/20s with 35" tires.

Who's had a Jeep? What did you like, what did you dislike?

I know they're down on power, and the bigger wheels/tires will make it worse. That's my biggest hang up.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I had the same exact vehicle you’re thinking of purchasing. The key piece of your statement is that you’re not going to drive it much as mine was a DD and I would never make that mistake again.

Keep in mind that majority of people who own these vehicles off road and beat the crap out of them as they don’t know how to wheel or they flat out don’t care. The aftermarket is strong but ridiculously overpriced as every Jeep owner I know is constantly putting tens of thousands of dollars into there’s as the next build. I would say this is even more so than the Big 3 car guys.

My advice is to keep it as a side vehicle and get it thoroughly checked out by a reputable Jeep or 4wd shop.

Slinging Led, EDC, Tight Lines, Razor Sharp Knives and Conceal Carrying!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
And they will shake your kidneys and teeth out...but hey sluts love em so there is that lol

not if you mod it correctly. I have had people get in and be like, "how does this thing ride so smooth?"

OP,

The 2011 has the 3.8L, not a good motor. Jeep switched to the 3.6L in 2013, much better engine.
3:73 Gears optional in 2011. 2013+ standard for Rubicons.
I run 20x12 wheels, 35's no lost power due to the 3:73's. 4" lift with Front Lower Control Arms. those control arms are REQUIRED and give it the smooth riding quality. I also run Nitto tires, soft compound, and quiet.

I daily drive mine. I feel much safer on the road lifted and gas mileage is horrible but my commute is 10 minutes one way

I have a '16. Purchased for $35k with 6,000 miles, stock

Hyper Green PITA trying to capture that color on camera

42693378864_565e06ab1c.jpg
20171021_133020 by airassault13F, on Flickr']

Attachments

• 42693378864_565e06ab1c.jpg
    42693378864_565e06ab1c.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Let me guess, something you recently took in on trade ?

Yes sir.

I had the same exact vehicle you’re thinking of purchasing. The key piece of your statement is that you’re not going to drive it much as mine was a DD and I would never make that mistake again.

Keep in mind that majority of people who own these vehicles off road and beat the crap out of them as they don’t know how to wheel or they flat out don’t care. The aftermarket is strong but ridiculously overpriced as every Jeep owner I know is constantly putting tens of thousands of dollars into there’s as the next build. I would say this is even more so than the Big 3 car guys.

My advice is to keep it as a side vehicle and get it thoroughly checked out by a reputable Jeep or 4wd shop.

Slinging Led, EDC, Tight Lines, Razor Sharp Knives and Conceal Carrying!

Aftermarket is way more overpriced for a Viper, I assure you lol

OP,

The 2011 has the 3.8L, not a good motor. Jeep switched to the 3.6L in 2013, much better engine.
3:73 Gears optional in 2011. 2013+ standard for Rubicons.
I run 20x12 wheels, 35's no lost power due to the 3:73's. 4" lift with Front Lower Control Arms. those control arms are REQUIRED and give it the smooth riding quality. I also run Nitto tires, soft compound, and quiet.

I daily drive mine. I feel much safer on the road lifted and gas mileage is horrible but my commute is 10 minutes one way

I have a '16. Purchased for $35k with 6,000 miles, stock

I've heard both opinions on the 3.8L.

I wouldn't want to spring the extra money for a more expensive one. I just sold a 2016 that I would've kept if I had wanted to have that much wrapped up in one.

I drive 8,000 miles a year...so this thing will see 1,000 tops.

Nick needs some...

Oh, that's not the issue I promise haha

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
They switched to the 285hp 3.6 in 2012. I loved mine. It was a daily, which I enjoyed, but since it’s a Jeep mpg tires insurance hurt the pocket book.

The best part was no top no door driving, the worst it cost twice as much per mile to operate.
I’d try to find a 12. 202hp 11 to 285hp 12 while gaining mpg is big.

Jeep tj/jk/JL is a great second or third vehicle!

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I had a 2011 Sahara Unlimited. They are more fun to look at than drive imo. I had it for 9-10 months and dumped it. It's not a good car, it's not a good truck, it's not a good convertible, and it's an decent suv, all with Chrysler reliability. If you want a fun Jeep buy a TJ with 4.0 and 5-spd. The best thing about it was I only lost like $1k from what I paid to what I traded.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I love my 02 TJ. The ride is rough. The gas mileage sucks. But i have never loved a vehicle like i do my jeep. Top off, doors off...theres nothing like it. Its a life style. Not just what you drive. Jeep life chooses who it wants. When it wants you....you'll know.

Sent from my Schlong using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IA Shelby

Established Member
Buy a new JL. No comparison to older models. Used values are so strong that you don’t save much going used. I have owned older models and a new 18 Rubicon. The interior and tranny make a big difference.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I agree with op.
We have a 13 wrangler lifted on 35's , Its gutless imo. The earlier ones have even less power so i wouldnt advise getting it. Unless you plan on doing a ls 6.0 or 6.2 swap.

CV355

_
Established Member
Pentastar is better ('12+) (corrected!)

My wife's '16 JKU saved her life after a 100+mph head on collision and 4 rolls down an embankment.

I miss it.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've never had one, it wouldn't get driven much.

It's a 2011 Rubicon 4 door. Black/black with a hard top. Extremely clean with 70k miles. Thinking a 3-4" lift, 18/20s with 35" tires.

Who's had a Jeep? What did you like, what did you dislike?

Bought a new '14. Drove it home, put it up on stands, and started gutting. Added about 8k in aftermarket parts, mostly from AEV.

Untitledpa.jpg

Untitledpppa.jpg

Untitledpppppppa.jpg

Acceleration isn't it's strong suit and gas mileage is below average. That said, it's a tank that gets me anywhere I want to go regardless of conditions.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Bought a new '14. Drove it home, put it up on stands, and started gutting. Added about 8k in aftermarket parts, mostly from AEV.

View attachment 1501601

View attachment 1501602

View attachment 1501603

Acceleration isn't it's strong suit and gas mileage is below average. That said, it's a tank that gets me anywhere I want to go regardless of conditions.
Tob, that Jeep is CLEAN. I definitely dig it.

@13COBRA, has there been no new information about the new Bronco from Ford to your sales team? Or is the Jeep just a good dollars and cents opportunity?

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
Traded in my wife’s 15 WRX for a 16 2 door 75th anniversary wrangler and we really like it. Surprisingly soft ride, leather/cloth seats are nice. It’s down on power,but it’s a Jeep you have a Viper to go fast in. I like running errands in it, it’s super nimble compared to my SD crew cab. If it’s a trade in to you I’m sure the price is right and when you decide to get rid of it you won’t loose any $, as Jeep don’t seem to depreciate all that much.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
35" tires with 18" wheels should make it ride decent enough. Since Jeeps retain value like crazy, I'm betting you can lightly mod it and if it doesn't float your boat after a while, turn around and sell it for a minimal loss.

Users who are viewing this thread