Thinking about going to the darkside...

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
Lately I have been wanting to get myself into a stick car. Don't get me wrong I love my Lightning but I think I'm just looking for something different. I was never really a fan of the 98-2004(these years becuase thats around year I will be looking for) mustangs unless they are a Cobra or Saleen. Idealy I would love to get into a 03-04 Cobra but I don't think I can afford one.

So lately I have been looking at fbody cars, mainly the WS6 Trans Am. Now before everyone starts hating on me let this be known... I'm a car enthusiest, not a brand enthusiest. Personally I think the T/A's and Camaro's have a ton of potential and are nice cars.

The only thing is I think I will regret selling my truck. Its a great truck and it runs awesome but I'm just looking to try something else. Who here has/had or knows a friend with a fbody? Are they good cars? I see alot of them running with 150k+ miles and still running strong. Just wanted to get some feedback from people that have owned them/ been around them :rockon:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I would love to have a M6 LS1 Trans-Am, but I would kill myself if I got rid of my Lightning. I will just have to save my money.

s_x_i

Established Member
Have fun growing your Mullett!

:lol:

Nah, just kidding... for the money, you'll have a lot of fun with an f-bod. I wouldn't blame you one bit. They are almost and in-between step for Ford fans. They slot nicely between the GT and the Cobra both price and performance wise. My only gripe about F-bods is the driving position in relation to the length of the hood. If I was looking for a quickish reliable daily in the $10,000 range, I'd go LS-1 all the way!

Edit: What's up xman! The rain in Marshall is keeping everyone indoors, the truck sounded good at the light the other day. :burnout:

Last edited:

jman511115

Established Member
Good cars, but get a WS6. Camaros are uuuuuuuuuuuugly. You sure you can't afford a Cobra? If you could sell your Lightning for 15ish and get an 03-04 cobra for 20-22... Would leave you with a 5-7 thousand loan.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Don't open track much and don't launch a stock 10-bolt with slicks and it'll be a great car.

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
I had a LS1 camaro, dont do it lol.... Really you shouldnt be that far off once you sell your L....save your cash and buy a cobra!

Jaysin

Established Member
Hmm, im a fan of the ws6s, and would like to get into a black m6 one day. Id personally get the Lightning paid for, then get into a ws6. The L is a perfect daily (minus the mpg) and can always come in handy. Im looking for a Lightning right now so I can trade in my srt on it. Plan on keeping the L for life (pending some unknown circumstances) to use as a DD, then once im making good $ will get into a terminator.

Opinion being, pay off L, save a little cash, and find a Ws6 to go along with your L.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
wifey had one and they are cool but always having electrical problems. her lights were always going out or one of the light would stop flipping, car looked sad coming down the street lol.

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
Have fun growing your Mullett!

:lol:

Nah, just kidding... for the money, you'll have a lot of fun with an f-bod. I wouldn't blame you one bit. They are almost and in-between step for Ford fans. They slot nicely between the GT and the Cobra both price and performance wise. My only gripe about F-bods is the driving position in relation to the length of the hood. If I was looking for a quickish reliable daily in the $10,000 range, I'd go LS-1 all the way!

Edit: What's up xman! The rain in Marshall is keeping everyone indoors, the truck sounded good at the light the other day. :burnout:

I'm working on the mullett as we speak.... NOT lol.
Good cars, but get a WS6. Camaros are uuuuuuuuuuuugly. You sure you can't afford a Cobra? If you could sell your Lightning for 15ish and get an 03-04 cobra for 20-22... Would leave you with a 5-7 thousand loan.

Hmm, im a fan of the ws6s, and would like to get into a black m6 one day. Id personally get the Lightning paid for, then get into a ws6. The L is a perfect daily (minus the mpg) and can always come in handy. Im looking for a Lightning right now so I can trade in my srt on it. Plan on keeping the L for life (pending some unknown circumstances) to use as a DD, then once im making good $ will get into a terminator.

Opinion being, pay off L, save a little cash, and find a Ws6 to go along with your L.

The L is already paid off and I'm not looking to put any money, let alone a loan, towards another car. I have different plans with my saved money. So I guess I'd be looking for a trade +cash or an even trade for the right WS6. But Jaysin your right the L is a great daily driver and nothing is wrong with it... I'm just looking for change and a stick vehicle. I think I will miss the bed though.
I have never been a fan of f-body cars. I'd rather have a GTO.

I have always kind of liked the Camaro but I have always really liked the Trans Am's. Some Camaro's can look good but u have to have the right wheels, hood, paint, etc. As for the GTO they are nice cars but they don't do anything for me. The only reason I would think about getting one is becuase they are newer than what I already have, but I think I would have to put cash towards one and I don't want to dish out any $$.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The Fbody is a great platform to build on. The LS engines are incredible. Heads/cam/spray and you're good to go in the power department. I've had a couple myself. First was a '95 Z28 with a 396 stroker, heads, cam, full exhaust, 6spd, 12 bolt rear and a 175 shot. Very fun car. I also had a '99 T/A, cam, full bolt ons, full exhaust, 6spd, 12 bolt rear, etc. Also a very fun car.

Having both of those and now having my Lightning, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade my Lightning for one. They are fun cars though.

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
The Fbody is a great platform to build on. The LS engines are incredible. Heads/cam/spray and you're good to go in the power department. I've had a couple myself. First was a '95 Z28 with a 396 stroker, heads, cam, full exhaust, 6spd, 12 bolt rear and a 175 shot. Very fun car. I also had a '99 T/A, cam, full bolt ons, full exhaust, 6spd, 12 bolt rear, etc. Also a very fun car.

Having both of those and now having my Lightning, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade my Lightning for one. They are fun cars though.

Well I see your turbo is done now so I wouldn't trade your truck for a T/A either lol. I had to sell my engine/turbo build for my L for school reasons. I think thats why I want something different, I was looking forward to putting that in but plans changed. Plus I haven't owned a manual car yet and I hear they can be quite fun lol

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member

:beer: To having a ugly car lol :bored:

wifey had one and they are cool but always having electrical problems. her lights were always going out or one of the light would stop flipping, car looked sad coming down the street lol.

Hmmm, I've had my car for over 2 years and put 32k on it and I haven't had any issues. Maybe her car was a turd and wasn't taken care of properly...:shrug:

OP, I have a couple friends with high mileage F-bodies and they still run very good.

With the new Camaro out our cars have taken a hit and the prices have really come down...

I would like a T/A as well in Black or SOM

GL

Why not keep the L and get a WS6...? Do you want one with low miles or high miles? I have seen them go for anywhere from $6,500-11,000.....

I would keep the L at least for a little while after owning the F-body to make sure you have no regrets about selling it

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Don't get rid of the Lightning!!! I made that mistake 3 years ago when I traded in my '00 L for the cobra I have now, I've been trying to get back into a lightning for a long time now. I've never owned an F-body, but a co-worker let me take his '00 WS6 for a spin one day. It was extremely uncomfortable to sit in (6'2") and the windshield was too low for me to see comfortably out of it. Taking it through the Jersey barriers outside our base was interesting, I swear the front of the car was around the barrier before the back half even started turning (wet noodle). The one thing I liked about it was the acceleration, and it was completely stock!

Then again, that was only one driving experience so take it for what its worth.

Keep the Lightning!!!

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
x2 on keeping the Lightning, they are more rare. Traded my silver 00 a few years ago when gas spiked up, I regret it a least once a week.:whine:

4valvemach

Established Member
Get a trans am or a mach1

Ive had all auto T/A's/firebirds (see sig)never wanted a stick shift in one because you are pushing forward on the clutch instead of down like a mustang.It just was not very comfortable for me :shrug:

camaros=:xpl:

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
ws6s are nice looking cars with great potential. look around youll find a clean one at a good price. theyre not perfect cars but theyre alot of fun and reliable as long as you dont beat them lol.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Well I see your turbo is done now so I wouldn't trade your truck for a T/A either lol. I had to sell my engine/turbo build for my L for school reasons. I think thats why I want something different, I was looking forward to putting that in but plans changed. Plus I haven't owned a manual car yet and I hear they can be quite fun lol

I meant I wouldn't trade for even a comparably powerful Fbody. Manual cars can be fun to drive, but they can also be a pain in the ass. After having owned only manual cars, the Lightning was a nice change of pace. Especially when I'm sitting in Houston traffic.

03blowngt

Established Member

My 01 Firehawk did the same thing. The lights worked properly 99% of the time, but every so often, the left light would stay down like it was stuck or something. Also, I dont know if any one else has ever had this problem, but my factory stereo would turn up and down on its own??? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread