Thinking about going to the darkside...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I believe one of the problems with the flip up headlights is do to a plastic gear on the electric motor, it basically can strip out over time. FYI, the radio will automatically adjust the volume under heavy acceleration. That is working as designed...

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I had an 04 Sonic Blue Lightning i traded for a cammed, full bolt on 00 WS.6 M6, and havent looked back. Sure, i absolutely LOVED my truck, and i do miss it sometimes, but i was looking for something different. We already had an 02 WS.6 M6 (Lid, catback) at the time, but we ended up selling it, and buying my current 01 Auto.

Both the 6 speed, and auto F-body can be VERY fun to drive.. Our 00 is a black 6 speed, and has a built T56, bolt ons, decent sized cam, and makes the numbers in my sig. My Sunset Orange car is an auto with a 4000rpm stall, built trans, cam, full bolt ons, 3.73s (stock was 3.23s) and may or may not have a little shot of the go gas.:coolman: I guess you can say we have the best of both worlds when it comes to F-bodys. Both cars are daily driven, and run hard!

CJI03

Strive4Greatness
Established Member
Very respectable cars! In my top 5 favorite cars to own. I was always impressed by how hard the stalled autos came off the line & how hard they pulled up top! If you can afford it, keep the L & find a nice used one.

03blowngt

Established Member
I believe one of the problems with the flip up headlights is do to a plastic gear on the electric motor, it basically can strip out over time. FYI, the radio will automatically adjust the volume under heavy acceleration. That is working as designed...

I am not talking about heavy acceleration, I am talking about just randomly. Like it would work properly under heavy acceleration, but sometimes it would go up AND down on its own driving the same speed.

Jroc

Established Member
I'm actually wanting a L. While keeping my Cobra of course.

Fbodies are cool cars, but not very comfortable, and this is coming from a driver of a old Mustang. It seems like a nicer model Fbody(SS or WS6 in good condition) goes for around the same or not much less than a Terminator. The year model helps determine the price but you know what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
:beer: To having a ugly car lol :bored:

Hmmm, I've had my car for over 2 years and put 32k on it and I haven't had any issues. Maybe her car was a turd and wasn't taken care of properly...:shrug:

OP, I have a couple friends with high mileage F-bodies and they still run very good.

With the new Camaro out our cars have taken a hit and the prices have really come down...

I would like a T/A as well in Black or SOM

GL

Why not keep the L and get a WS6...? Do you want one with low miles or high miles? I have seen them go for anywhere from $6,500-11,000.....

I would keep the L at least for a little while after owning the F-body to make sure you have no regrets about selling it

I think they are refering to the T/A's more so than your camaro. I would love to have both cars, I'm even close enough cash wise to getting a WS6, but right now having two cars isn't very practicle. Once I get outta school my collection will begin:rolling:

x2 on keeping the Lightning, they are more rare. Traded my silver 00 a few years ago when gas spiked up, I regret it a least once a week.:whine:

Thats what I'm afraid of! Everytime I look at my truck I think how much I love the looks and the way it drives but I'm just getting an itch for something else... I will say though my buddy is going to school for photography and he took a few pics of my truck and he is touching them up wit PS. I'll post the finished product when he finishes them, they look SO good so far.

I had an 04 Sonic Blue Lightning i traded for a cammed, full bolt on 00 WS.6 M6, and havent looked back. Sure, i absolutely LOVED my truck, and i do miss it sometimes, but i was looking for something different. We already had an 02 WS.6 M6 (Lid, catback) at the time, but we ended up selling it, and buying my current 01 Auto.

Both the 6 speed, and auto F-body can be VERY fun to drive.. Our 00 is a black 6 speed, and has a built T56, bolt ons, decent sized cam, and makes the numbers in my sig. My Sunset Orange car is an auto with a 4000rpm stall, built trans, cam, full bolt ons, 3.73s (stock was 3.23s) and may or may not have a little shot of the go gas.:coolman: I guess you can say we have the best of both worlds when it comes to F-bodys. Both cars are daily driven, and run hard!

I was waiting for you to respond to this. I knew you had traded your L for a T/A and I was wondering how you liked them. Did you have any Fbody's before or did you go striaght from the L to the T/A. The one thing that I think I might miss the most is the bed. It's nice having that to throw random stuff in there

I'm actually wanting a L. While keeping my Cobra of course.

Fbodies are cool cars, but not very comfortable, and this is coming from a driver of a old Mustang. It seems like a (SS or WS6 in good condition) fbody goes for around the same or not much less than a Terminator. The year model helps determine the price but you know what I'm trying to say.

I have seen 02 WS6's and some Firehawks that sell close to what Terminator's do, but the majority of them are much cheaper. If I decide to put th eL on the market I'll shoot you a PM:D

musclefan21

Established Member
dude go for it man, a WS6 T/A is a sexy ass car. nothing wrong with them! I love them and would love to own a black WS6 :rockon:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Between the two F-body's the WS6 or even better the Fire Hawk is the better looking car IMO. I just cant stand driving them. The visibility is worse than my Cobra and that annoying hump on the floor of the passenger side. WTF is that?!

As for the performance its a no brainer. The LS1 is a stout engine with plenty of potential. But if were me, I would save a little $$$ and get a 03 Cobra.

Quin

Established Member
Interior feels kinda cheap. Can't really say why, it just gives me that feeling. Can't see shit, car feels like it's 30ft long. They can be pretty quick, but for the money (I'd get a low mileage stock one if I ever get one) I'll take my term in black, thanks ;)

EDIT: Yeah really, WTF is that hump for lol

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I was waiting for you to respond to this. I knew you had traded your L for a T/A and I was wondering how you liked them. Did you have any Fbody's before or did you go striaght from the L to the T/A. The one thing that I think I might miss the most is the bed. It's nice having that to throw random stuff in there

Yup, my wife bought an 02 WS.6 M6 brand new in 02 (just after we got together) and we kept it until last year. It was silver, but she always wanted a black, cammed one so when the opportunity came up to trade my low mileage truck for a low mileage black, cammed WS.6, i couldnt pass it up.

Yeah, it definitely is different not having a truck any more, but we adapted pretty quick and we love both of our cars. Both cars are quick, and fun to drive. Even with the big stall in my car, its an easy daily driver with a good amount of power (low 12s N/A if not better). Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. :beer::beer:

Heres ours:
th_img_0683.jpg

th_001.jpg

Last edited:

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
there were a couple suggestions to look at ls2 GTOs. ill just say i enjoy mine. its a great DD and very well built and comfortable. best car ive ever owned. styling isnt for everyone but i think they look fine. you can probably get an 06 for under 20k now which sucks for me lol.

s|ck

Established Member
Keep the L for sure, I wouldn't trade the L for anything other than a Cobra :banana:

camaro_chic17

Established Member
I love my Camaro. I enjoy taking the ttops off and taking it out on a nice day.

I got pacesetter long tubes on mine and they fit great.. tucked up pretty nicely. My ground clearance is already ruined due to the ground effects but other people w/o ground effects sometimes end up with ground clearance issues over speed bumps, etc due to some brands of headers. Long tubes are the way to go if your state is not too strict. Spark plugs become much easier to do. I take all inclines/declines at an angle.

The rear end is weak as mentioned earlier so don't go launching it with slicks unless you're willing to replace it when it breaks.. preferably with a 9" or 12 bolt.

I like the seating position. The nose is pretty long and you can't see the end of it but it's not a big deal.

I run German Castrol 0w30 in mine and it runs super smooth.

The stereo in mine was completely aftermarket when I got it and if I remember right if you get the Bose system I think you have to replace everything if you want to replace one thing with an aftermarket part.. cuz it's something weird like 8 ohm or 2.5 or 3 ohm (I really do not remember) and aftermarket is more like 4 ohm typically and there may be another reason idk.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Let me try and help a little.

First, in regards to the comments on comfort, visibility, etc. I have no idea what the posters are talking about.

I have owned a 95' Firebird Formula and my current 02' Z28. I am 6' and 220lbs. I have taken both of these cars on multiple ~550mile trips (SC to MD) and the only thing that hurts a little at the end of the trip is your lower back. However, both of my cars had stiff lowering springs and shocks.

The comments about visibility make no sense to me. I have driven these in MD rush hour traffic and never felt like I had a visibility problem. The only thing that you can't see is the front of the car. As for seating position, you sit "IN" the car, not "ON" the car. This is a very connected and encompassing seating position. It makes for a very fun driving experience, but can take a little getting used to. The ergonomics are actually quite good with the exception of getting in and out of the car, which is not helped by the hugely long doors.

As for the comment about open track events. I have open tracked my car and it was a blast. I had no problems at all, the car handled well, broke well, and of course pulled like an SOB out of the corners and down the straight while passing M3's, Audi S4's, and even a C5 Z06 (driver mod I'm sure). They are relatively light (I am weighing in at 3,3xx lbs.) and fast.

When you are looking for a car, I STRONGLY suggest a 2001 or 2002. They have a LS6 clutch, better slave cylinder, LS6 oil pump, improved exhaust manifolds (almost like shorty headers), and an LS6 intake manifold.

The bump on the passenger floor board is to clear the catalytic converter. It is a bad design, but it is on the passenger side, so who cares.

Good luck with your decision/purchase.

In regards to the GTO comments. My brother has an 04' that has been very good, except for the common ignition switch problem, which cost about $2xx at the dealer to have fixed (he's not a do it yourself type). I have driven this car and worked on it and it is VERY nice to daily drive. The 2nd gear is so strong that you can just leave it in 2nd in stop and go traffic. The car is fun to drive and the seats are oooohhh so comfortable. Also, you can actually fit adults in the back seats. The interior is WAY better than the F-bodys. You can get an 04' for CHEAP too.

Last edited:

02 SLP SS

Established Member
There is alot of brand loyalty going on in here so I will be honest. I have owned an 03 Cobra and 4 F-Bodys so I can make a good case for both. The LS1 F-bodys are a great platform period anyone that says anything different is a dumbass. They were better than the mustangs of the same years 98-02 in everyway performance wise stock for stock. Now the seating postion is a preference deal as stated above. Yes you do sit low and more like a sports car should (I like it). The 10 bolt is not the strongest but will not break unless you abuse it very often with slicks. Looks are again a personal thing(if you go to LS1Tech they will say they look great and mustangs are too plain). Interior wise pretty much all mustangs and f-body's of that year have cheap interiors (come on mustang guys don't kid yourself). It all just come down to what you want that's really it. I personally like to switch it up and try out different cars/trucks just to have the experience.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Let me try and help a little.

First, in regards to the comments on comfort, visibility, etc. I have no idea what the posters are talking about.

I have owned a 95' Firebird Formula and my current 02' Z28. I am 6' and 220lbs. I have taken both of these cars on multiple ~550mile trips (SC to MD) and the only thing that hurts a little at the end of the trip is your lower back. However, both of my cars had stiff lowering springs and shocks.

The comments about visibility make no sense to me. I have driven these in MD rush hour traffic and never felt like I had a visibility problem. The only thing that you can't see is the front of the car. As for seating position, you sit "IN" the car, not "ON" the car. This is a very connected and encompassing seating position. It makes for a very fun driving experience, but can take a little getting used to. The ergonomics are actually quite good with the exception of getting in and out of the car, which is not helped by the hugely long doors.

My '95 Z28 was very comfortable to me, but the '99 T/A was so-so. The visibility out of both is very different compared to a Mustang. You can play a game of Monopoly on that dashboard. The comments about visibility are probably coming from people who went from a Mustang then drove an Fbody, it's VERY different. Once you get used to driving the Fbody though, it becomes more natural.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
atleast your not looking into an import! lol

LS1 is a great platform, I Like the Trans Am styling a lot more unless its the SS camaro, love the look of that spoiler for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread