Thinking about selling my new edge for a vintage car? Need advice

Adam03GT

Established Member
So i currently have a 2003 Mach 1. It is mint with 30k miles and mildly modded. It is a great car however, I keep having the urge to sell it for a vintage (1965-1969) fastback or Mach 1.

I am just curious if any of you have done the same? Did anyone regret it?

I have never owned a vintage car before and as far as being mechanicly inclined i would rate myself as a 6 or 7 from 1-10. So I am also wondering, are these old cars pretty simple to work on if something does arise?

I would be getting a DD so the vintage would sit in the garage most of the time.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Jaysin

Established Member
Well, I've never owned a vintage car so I don't have much advice, but I'd go for it! If it won't be your daily, and you've been wanting one then just do it. If it doesn't come out to be what you were expecting you can always sell it and get into something else. I'd love to have Fastback!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
couple quick things (and if you want more in depth, you can pm me)

if you want a DECENT car with what you listed (fastback or mach 1). Plan on spending around 2x what you can get for the mach.

they are indeed easy to work on, or at least I find them to be easy to work on.

they are very raw, so make sure youre prepared for that. And by that i mean, rougher suspension, less amenities, etc.

and lastly, just be prepared for a money pit. not that it will be a money pit, but be prepared for it to be so. if youre like me, you'll stick to the good ford parts and not the cheap chinese knock-offs. they are expensive and hard to find. so even something "minor" can be a decent expense.

at the end of the day, really......

you should keep the mach and get a classic =)

ssssnake

Established Member
We decided to buy a 1972 Mach 1 with a 429 as a daily driver. Silly us. 65fastback2+2 is right. You will spend money. The engine was rebuilt twice, but when it ran, it ran!. I spent a lot of time along the side of the road. But, it sure was fun to drive.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
We decided to buy a 1972 Mach 1 with a 429 as a daily driver. Silly us. 65fastback2+2 is right. You will spend money. The engine was rebuilt twice, but when it ran, it ran!. I spent a lot of time along the side of the road. But, it sure was fun to drive.

Ive got $12k in the 67 coupe and if you saw it youd call it a pile of junk. Im on round 3 with this thing and the current list for it is about $15k lol.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I have had older classics and I enjoyed each and every one. I miss them all. They were all very easy to work on and parts were easy to find if you knew where to look. Yes, you will break down!!!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Keep the mach.

Buy a classic later down the road. Would suck to drive a pos neon daily so you could look forward to a classic on the weekend that feels even crappier at everything but wot.

Adam03GT

Established Member
Thanks for the advice so far! I have found a dealer semi-locally that only buys and sells vintage vehicles.

I have been looking through their history and past sold vehicles and it seems that for a very decent condition one they sell for 15-18k. THat seems like a reasonable price for a toy. I understand a 100% flawless one would go for 30k+ however these cars are definately not too shabby.

This may be a stupid question, but what is it about vintage cars that makes them brake down all the time? Is it simply the age or is it jus carb'ed motors in general?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id rather get an 03/04 Cobra for $18k. Itll be faster, get better mileage, have working AC, more comfortable, more reliable, etc......

I wouldnt get a classic unless youre gonna do a full on restoration and use a modern engine or at least an older one thats built to modern specs. Thats just me though. Im inheriting my gf's parents 62 Fairlane. I plan on hopefully doing a full frame-off restoration, brand new tubular MustangII suspension and all new underpinnings so it drives almost as good as a new car, and a modular 5.4L 4v with a home-made TT kit. Itll probably weight the same as an 03/04 as well. Should break alot of hearts while not breaking down in the process. Has a 289 in it now that will make a great table stand.

Last edited:

ssssnake

Established Member
Ive got $12k in the 67 coupe and if you saw it youd call it a pile of junk. Im on round 3 with this thing and the current list for it is about $15k lol.

Paid $4,500 for it, and it was naked. Put the stripes and decals on and blacked the hood, rebuilt twice, assorted parts, and sold it about 5 years later for $4,500. Although I wouldn't do it again, it was fun.

Id rather get an 03/04 Cobra for $18k. Itll be faster, get better mileage, have working AC, more comfortable, more reliable, etc......

Yep.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
This may be a stupid question, but what is it about vintage cars that makes them brake down all the time? Is it simply the age or is it jus carb'ed motors in general?

its not that you'll break down....its all the finicky things that youre using 1950's and 1960's engineering. like the power steering setup is YUCK.

or its you go out and the head lights wont come on or its the right window rolls down when you hit a bump, or maybe it overheats, etc.

it probably wont break down on you if its decent....it'll have 1000 other things that'll constantly need your attention and drive you nuts.

some of us are just nutty to keep dealing with it :rockon:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
couple quick things (and if you want more in depth, you can pm me)

if you want a DECENT car with what you listed (fastback or mach 1). Plan on spending around 2x what you can get for the mach.

they are indeed easy to work on, or at least I find them to be easy to work on.

they are very raw, so make sure youre prepared for that. And by that i mean, rougher suspension, less amenities, etc.

and lastly, just be prepared for a money pit. not that it will be a money pit, but be prepared for it to be so. if youre like me, you'll stick to the good ford parts and not the cheap chinese knock-offs. they are expensive and hard to find. so even something "minor" can be a decent expense.

at the end of the day, really......

you should keep the mach and get a classic =)

This is really excellent info/advice. IMO when you buy a classic muscle car you (1) want an average specimen just to drive around and you aren't concerned so much with the quality of the car, (2) want a decent specimen that you will restore yourself to factory or better and have the skills/funds to do it, or (3) you want an exceptional quality fully restored specimen and are will to pay a big premium for it. I think it is smart to talk to a few people who own, or have owned, classic muscle cars to get a feel for what you're getting into and what level of car you're wanting.

I have a friend who bought a 1969 Corvette (427) at a BJ auction 3 years ago. I was there when he bought it. He paid around $35K and from a distance and quick look the car looked nice. However, upon closer inspection (and this guy knows what to look for with these cars) he showed me many of the issues that would have to be corrected, including a complete repaint of the car because the seller did a quickie paint for the auction. He was fully aware of the issues before he bid on it, and since he owns his own body shop he is in a position to properly restore a car like this. Fast forward a year or so and the restored Corvette is absolutely beautiful. He drives it occasionally but it's more of an investment. The car is now worth a lot more than the price he paid for it.

So again, talk to a couple of folks who have been there and done that, because you'll have a much better appreciation for what you're getting into. That might convince you to do it, or it might convince you to keep your Mach for now.

PBLA

Oxford White Cobra
Established Member
I had a '66 coupe in decent shape, but I sold it and now have an 01 Cobra. Neither car was/is a DD. My coupe had complete new interior, PS, and AC(needed work), but I still rather the newer car. The car never had any major problems, but I never had complete confidence in it - which sucks. I'm enjoying the reliability, ice cold air, power, PW, PL, etc. As mentioned before, even without major problems, they will nickel and dime you. Before buying the coupe, I searched long enough to know that a classic, especially outside of a coupe, that is mechanically sound, good paint, no rust, clean interior, working A/C, etc. is $$$$$. The only thing I miss, is what my 8 year old son reminds me of constantly, it takes somewhat of a car enthusiast to realize a Cobra in a crowd of Mustangs, but everyone at every stop appreciates a clean classic.

Last edited:

sixt5

Established Member
i bought mine for almost 4. im in to about 16-17 now. it seemed to be i was doing things twice just to fit my taste. i believe the car is one of a kind now though. i was one of the first with the mach wheels but im seeing more and more with them.

i'd prolly take 13ish now.

chinchilla

Established Member
I've had two 67's a 99 and an 03 cobra. The main factor you need to concern yourself with is what do you want and expect from the car? in stock or near stock trim old mustangs handle like boats. my 67 fb has more body roll than my dd jeep. If your concerned with performance be prepared to shell out some cash do update the suspension of the older car. Right now im at a point where im not entirely happy with my 67 and im considering selling it to build an open track full on race car new edge. right now i want to have fun more than look nice and id feel terrible to rip apart the most beautiful car ive ever owned. on the other side of that i can't wait for mustang week to show this thing off. everyones different just make sure you know what you want and make sure the car you buy will be that.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member

I wouldnt get a classic unless youre gonna do a full on restoration and use a modern engine or at least an older one thats built to modern specs. Thats just me though. Im inheriting my gf's parents 62 Fairlane. I plan on hopefully doing a full frame-off restoration, brand new tubular MustangII suspension and all new underpinnings so it drives almost as good as a new car, and a modular 5.4L 4v with a home-made TT kit. Itll probably weight the same as an 03/04 as well. Should break alot of hearts while not breaking down in the process. Has a 289 in it now that will make a great table stand.

Almost exactly what I am doing. Fabrication of the rear to allow 345's and a MII front end including all the suspension is just shy of 11K. Ugly number for sure knowing that has nothing to do with the Body Work, Interior, Drivetrain, and Electronics.

I sold my 04 MC Vert to buy another house but the 67 was coming my way anyway. Either way I am glad to have a project in front of me and know I will never regret it.

sixt5

Established Member
Open tracker is nice and expensive lol. It took a lot
To get mine to tuck all the way around lol and to get 345s, tub city! I'm running 255 35 and it's close

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Almost exactly what I am doing. Fabrication of the rear to allow 345's and a MII front end including all the suspension is just shy of 11K. Ugly number for sure knowing that has nothing to do with the Body Work, Interior, Drivetrain, and Electronics.

I sold my 04 MC Vert to buy another house but the 67 was coming my way anyway. Either way I am glad to have a project in front of me and know I will never regret it.

one day im doing this on my 67: Total Control Products

Users who are viewing this thread