Thinking about the air force

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Well my dad was enlisted from 86-93 in the army and was a tank mechanic. I was looking at the air force, and possibly being a jet fighter mechanic. Can anyone that was or is air force what some good jobs are? I'm interested in mechanics, technology, etc

blsticms1

Established Member
usaf

i spent 4 yrs in af . it was the best time of my life . if i knew then what i do now i would have stayed . i was a cop .

markw351

Established Member
Well, they are downsiziing but if your looking into aircraft maintenance(mx) you still got a shot. That and security forces. As far as mx goes, there's a number of options. There's flightline mx and then there's your backshop jobs that are "off equipment" meaning usually parts repair vs actual removal/replacement of parts on the aircraft. No guarantee you'd get "fighters" though. Just talk to your local recruiter and tell them you want aircraft maintenance and see what they can do. But keep in mind AF recruiters CANNOT guarantee jobs like Army recruiters can, that doesn't happen until MEPS. You would have to go in open mechanical and may get to give a list of jobs you would like to do and hope the job has an opening. The thing is, they get to be very picky now on who they take and they fill the Air Forces needs first. This info is what i got from a recruiter and from being in aircraft mx for 19 years 11 months and 5 days. Not that i am counting down my 20 or anything. I was Hydraulics on cargo planes and refuelers and loved it. although that was just my specialty and you end up learning to do a number of tasks outside your AFSC. Good luck.

Last edited:

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
I know several people in all branches of the military and not a single one tells me they regret the decision. Think long and serious about it though as it is obviously a huge step to take.

Two of my close friends are in the AF and they love it. One has lived in Japan for the last 3 years and is currently in the process of moving to Italy and he says joining was the best decision he has ever made. Of all the people I do know in the military, those who are not in the AF tend to say if they could do it all over again they would have went with the AF.

Sorry I have no personal experience to share, I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you do make. Hopefully if you do join you will score high enough on the tests and have an opening for the job you desire.

THE_STIG

Established Member
<<<F-16 Crew Chief, love my job, best worst job in the Air Force. Not sure about opennings though, from what I hear from new guys going through Sheppard, they say the classes are getting few and far in between because they recruited so many that now they are overmanned.

markw351

Established Member
Oh sh!t! I just saw you're from Nebraska. If you're a Husker fan the AF is full and not recruiting anymore...move along.

Joking: I just have 2 instructors that work for me that are DIE HARD Husker fans and I have heard enough about tom Osborne, Tommy Frazier and random nebraska stats.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Oh sh!t! I just saw you're from Nebraska. If you're a Husker fan the AF is full and not recruiting anymore...move along.

Joking: I just have 2 instructors that work for me that are DIE HARD Husker fans and I have heard enough about tom Osborne, Tommy Frazier and random nebraska stats.

I'm with you man I hate the cornhuskers, and Nebraska in general I figure military will get me far away and fast haha. I'm looking for a fun job, nothing to crazy something thats fun you know what everyone wants.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
1 - you wanted to get business ideas from people on here
2 - you figured out you wanted to open a "real" italian restaurant in Scottsdale
3 - now you want to join the AF but want a "fun job", nothing too crazy that's fun and what everyone wants?

Seriously man, sit down and figure out WTF you want to do. Go and sign up at your local recruiter and let us know how it goes.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Yeah you never really know what you are going to work on with Aircraft Mechanics. I'm a hydraulics aircraft mechanic. I work on F-15's, C-135's, and AWACS. The Airforce has its fun days and bad days. Best thing about it to me is that I'm getting to see the world.

Last edited:

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
1 - you wanted to get business ideas from people on here
2 - you figured out you wanted to open a "real" italian restaurant in Scottsdale
3 - now you want to join the AF but want a "fun job", nothing too crazy that's fun and what everyone wants?

Seriously man, sit down and figure out WTF you want to do. Go and sign up at your local recruiter and let us know how it goes.

1-got a business idea
2-decided from what people told me it was am unrealistic goal
3-af is more realistic
I will I was asking opinions from the people on here

computer_nerd

Established Member
i spent 4 yrs in af . it was the best time of my life . if i knew then what i do now i would have stayed . i was a cop .

where were you stationed? i was a cop as well..

i spent 12 years in the Air Force and i now work for them as a contractor. If youre able to get in, pick a technical job that you can apply the skills learned towards a civilian position once you get out. good luck OP

Last edited:

CO_SVT

Established Member
Well, they are downsiziing but if your looking into aircraft maintenance(mx) you still got a shot. That and security forces. As far as mx goes, there's a number of options. There's flightline mx and then there's your backshop jobs that are "off equipment" meaning usually parts repair vs actual removal/replacement of parts on the aircraft. No guarantee you'd get "fighters" though. Just talk to your local recruiter and tell them you want aircraft maintenance and see what they can do. But keep in mind AF recruiters CANNOT guarantee jobs like Army recruiters can, that doesn't happen until MEPS. You would have to go in open mechanical and may get to give a list of jobs you would like to do and hope the job has an opening. .

While you are correct that a recuiter can't guarantee a job, MEPS can guarantee you will get one that you want. You enter the DEP program with 3-5 job types you want and wait for your slot. You can go Open XXX and hope for the best as well.

Marc

Established Member
I am a Chief (E9) in the Air Force.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM. Too much to type. But, I am still have duty and have 28 years experience. I probably can any question you throw my way.

speedsun

Established Member
If you're lazy and incompetent, please don't do aircraft mx. I'm sick of spoon feeding ignorant retards.

If not, go for it... we can always use a good set of hands.

Best way to put it on my end.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
If you're lazy and incompetent, please don't do aircraft mx. I'm sick of spoon feeding ignorant retards.

Whats the average pay?

Jtaugner

Established Member

This x1000.

We got enough useless Crew Chiefs.

Pay is even across the board regardless of AFSC, goes off Grade and Time of Service.

Pay Tables

Honestly if I had to do it over again. I'd either go some desk jockey working day shift only, 9-5 with weekends and holidays off or a flyer.

Aircraft Maintenance is a brutal career field.

Users who are viewing this thread