Thinking about the air force

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
This x1000.

We got enough useless Crew Chiefs.

Pay is even across the board regardless of AFSC, goes off Grade and Time of Service.

Pay Tables

Honestly if I had to do it over again. I'd either go some desk jockey working day shift only, 9-5 with weekends and holidays off or a flyer.

Aircraft Maintenance is a brutal career field.

What job would you do if you could start it all over?

Jtaugner

Established Member
What job would you do if you could start it all over?

Aircraft Loadmaster
Aircraft Boom Operator
Aircraft Flight Attendent
Aircraft Flight Engineer (If you want to do Aircraft MX)
UAV Sensor Operator

Or anything admin really. MPF, Finance, Comm.. Something with normal hours.

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Aircraft Loadmaster
Aircraft Boom Operator
Aircraft Flight Attendent
Aircraft Flight Engineer (If you want to do Aircraft MX)
UAV Sensor Operator

Or anything admin really. MPF, Finance, Comm.. Something with normal hours.

Woohoo! Haha, that's what I do.

OP, I was an Aerospace Propulsion Journeyman (jet engine mechanic) for the first 5 years of my AF career. If your recruiter is good, you will have a set AFSC before you go to Basic, then usually a couple weeks before you graduate BMT you'll find out where and what you'll be working on (at least that is how it was 9 years ago).

As far as the job goes, I loved it (after I Palace Chased to the Guard anyway). I was active duty for the first two years and hated it. I got stuck in one tiny section in one of the back shops, meaning I got reallllllll familiar with a single component of the TF-39 motors (C-5 Galaxy, Dover AFB, DE). It became extremely boring and monotonous.

Then I saw the light and did an early-out program where I was able to transfer to the Air National Guard. Two months later I ended up in Houston working on F-16s. One day I would be removing an engine from the jet, next day tearing it down, then buildup, then running it at test cell, lastly installing it in the jet. Every day there was something different to do. Complete 180 from the boring back shop I had left in Delaware.

I usually jump in these threads to advocate the Guard because most people have no knowledge whatsoever about what we do. I had no idea there was such a thing when I joined up, just thought there was Active Duty and Reserves. If I were you, I'd explore all of my options and speak to a Guard Recruiter. Some advantages are: smaller units, full-time employment available in different capacities, and as far as MX is concerned it is a much better environment.

PM me if you have any questions.

speedsun

Established Member
I'm avionics with 4 1/2 years in. Not trying to down you on aircraft mx but we get kids that should have never made it pass the recruiters office. Not going to go on a rant but when you slice both your hands open on removing a temp installed panel you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a plane again.

Pay is ok, if I take my BAH/BAS/Base pay in consideration without adding in the benefits it would be about $23 or $24 an hour depending on a 40 hour work week. Sometimes you luck out and don't work that much then sometimes you bust ass and work well over 50. I got to think about it the other night and made over $160 for the day and all I did was close the hangar door all night.

That's the way you have to look at it when shit gets rough. Remembering all the good nights where you sat around watching Family Guy.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Some advantages are: smaller units, full-time employment available in different capacities, and as far as MX is concerned it is a much better environment.

PM me if you have any questions.

Guard and Reserves are a great option if you don't need a full-time job.

We work with Reserves so I can't say too much about the Guard but full time reserve slots and AGR slots are few and far between with the budget cuts.
I know at Charleston we are cutting almost all active reserve guys. But this will depend, like Jet's said on the manning at your base.

There's plenty of us here, including a CMSGT who have no problem answering any questions you may have.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I'm avionics with 4 1/2 years in. Not trying to down you on aircraft mx but we get kids that should have never made it pass the recruiters office. Not going to go on a rant but when you slice both your hands open on removing a temp installed panel you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a plane again.

Pay is ok, if I take my BAH/BAS/Base pay in consideration without adding in the benefits it would be about $23 or $24 an hour depending on a 40 hour work week. Sometimes you luck out and don't work that much then sometimes you bust ass and work well over 50. I got to think about it the other night and made over $160 for the day and all I did was close the hangar door all night.

That's the way you have to look at it when shit gets rough. Remembering all the good nights where you sat around watching Family Guy.

Damn pointy heads :lol:

I was an F-16 and F-117 crew chief, enlisted for four years. I loved my job but hated where the AF sent me.

First they sent me to Germany :fm:.

Seriously, I was originally upset about that one, but I LOVED it once I got there and it is easily the best two years of my life.

After that I was sent to Holloman AFB, NM :fm::fm::fm:

Still not pleased about that one, having to re-train on a new airframe and move to a not-so-nice place sucked.

That being said, again, I loved my job. I was really good at it too, shocked everyone when I separated. I was four years in with a line number for Staff, and I didn't get an automatic E-3 out of basic like the six year enlistees. I was promoted SrA BTZ and outscored 99% of my career field on a test I didn't even take seriously because I had already turned down my slot.

If you like long hours, hard work, and long, hard nights of drinking, you'll love being a crew chief.

If you are a lazy shit bag, you will hate your life.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Guard and Reserves are a great option if you don't need a full-time job.

We work with Reserves so I can't say too much about the Guard but full time reserve slots and AGR slots are few and far between with the budget cuts.
I know at Charleston we are cutting almost all active reserve guys. But this will depend, like Jet's said on the manning at your base.

There's plenty of us here, including a CMSGT who have no problem answering any questions you may have.

Yes it is harder to secure a full-time job, but they are out there. In the Guard there are different types of employment: Drill Status Guardsman (weekender), AGR (full time/military pay), Technician (full time/hourly), and my personal favorite: DSG on orders (activated military).

I started out as a DSG when I Palace Chased to the Guard, then after 8 months I got a Technician slot in our engine shop. Did that until they retired our jets in '08 and have been DSG on Title 10 orders ever since. AGR announcement should be out in two months, I'll be going for it.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Yes it is harder to secure a full-time job, but they are out there. In the Guard there are different types of employment: Drill Status Guardsman (weekender), AGR (full time/military pay), Technician (full time/hourly), and my personal favorite: DSG on orders (activated military).

I started out as a DSG when I Palace Chased to the Guard, then after 8 months I got a Technician slot in our engine shop. Did that until they retired our jets in '08 and have been DSG on Title 10 orders ever since. AGR announcement should be out in two months, I'll be going for it.

From the Guard guys I've worked with in Iraq & Qatar they've said if you don't know someone pretty high up usually you don't get a AGR slot. Not sure how true that is.

I'd love me some activated orders either Reserve or Guard.. Can we say Per Diem!

yelostang

Established Member
I had a love hate relationship being in AF mx...you can pick up some VERY good skills but you get treated like crap. I loved the aircraft I worked on (MH-53, MC-130, and sometimes the AC-130), but I got tired of the bullshit. I've been out for 6 years and now that I've finished school I'm helping design the same stuff I used to work on. The pay is a bit better ;)

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
From the Guard guys I've worked with in Iraq & Qatar they've said if you don't know someone pretty high up usually you don't get a AGR slot. Not sure how true that is.

I'd love me some activated orders either Reserve or Guard.. Can we say Per Diem!

Haha that can be true, I've definitely seen it happen. As for per diem, you only get that when you are in TDY status. Another good thing about the Guard is that it's relatively easy to go TDY to another unit to help them out. I spent 3 months in Tucson to beef up their manning. Per diem, hotel, rental car, and gas all paid for!

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I had a love hate relationship being in AF mx...you can pick up some VERY good skills but you get treated like crap. I loved the aircraft I worked on (MH-53, MC-130, and sometimes the AC-130), but I got tired of the bullshit. I've been out for 6 years and now that I've finished school I'm helping design the same stuff I used to work on. The pay is a bit better ;)

Thou speaketh the truth!!! :rockon:

usafimj

Established Member
Screw aircraft mx. I've been doing fuel systems for 8yrs now and I'm tired of getting ass raped just so the commander can have a high fmc rate. Supervision wants you to fix a jet by taking a good part from another jet to fix the broken jet and still have a broken jet when the good part will be available the next day aka recreational mx.

If I were to do it over I'd go flyer. Loadmaster, abm, aerial gunner, uav sensor operator. Flyers get treated like gold. No weekend duty, 1-2hr lunch, get treated like a person rather a number.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Supervision wants you to fix a jet by taking a good part from another jet to fix the broken jet and still have a broken jet when the good part will be available the next day aka recreational mx.

You act like this happens all the time. In order for a CANN to even happen they need approval from usually the Group Commander or higher. In the desert I have to coordinate with AMC HQ. The only time it happens is usually for a Mission Departing AFCT, not like we walk around the line swapping good parts with bad parts.

Users who are viewing this thread