Thinking about the air force

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, based on your other posts around this site, you're an idiot. Stay out of the military please.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
You don't get paid for the job, you get paid by rank. Unless you're a doctor or a degreed nurse, and you skip straight to Major after OCS.

nurses don't go straight to Major unless they go through COT and have years of experience...

Aircraft Loadmaster
Aircraft Boom Operator
Aircraft Flight Attendent
Aircraft Flight Engineer (If you want to do Aircraft MX)
UAV Sensor Operator

Or anything admin really. MPF, Finance, Comm.. Something with normal hours.

yeahhhhhh... As a comm guy I take a bit of offense to that considering that it is 7:57PM local on a SUNDAY and I work 12s on a panama schedule with about 10 other comm troops keeping this beast running... Base comm may work a normal shift and a lot of people in my unit work normal hours but things are a bit different once you find yourself in something other than base comm.

that's right, I'm posting to SVTP from work...

You act like this happens all the time. In order for a CANN to even happen they need approval from usually the Group Commander or higher. In the desert I have to coordinate with AMC HQ. The only time it happens is usually for a Mission Departing AFCT, not like we walk around the line swapping good parts with bad parts.

that would make things a lot more fun though... and also increase the workload unecessarily. Only reason to strip good parts would be if the jet to take it off was going to be down for an extended period, no spares were laying around and you really need that jet during the time it would take for the part to arrive.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
nurses don't go straight to Major unless they go through COT and have years of experience...

I was being slightly facetious.

Docs come in at a minimum of Capt., I think. They base it on your years in school + years working as a professional. Since all doctors go through almost a decade of training before being certified MD, they jump right up to Captain. Add in those who have years as a doctor, and Major right away (I think that's the maximum you can be without being prior military). The same applies to nurses. Since nurses don't require as many years of training as doctor, they can actually start as butterbars if they're fresh off nursing school. They can also start higher, depending on training + work experience.

Mind you, this is second-hand data I got from a couple of buddies who worked as hospital techs at my last base.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
I was being slightly facetious.

Docs come in at a minimum of Capt., I think. They base it on your years in school + years working as a professional. Since all doctors go through almost a decade of training before being certified MD, they jump right up to Captain. Add in those who have years as a doctor, and Major right away (I think that's the maximum you can be without being prior military). The same applies to nurses. Since nurses don't require as many years of training as doctor, they can actually start as butterbars if they're fresh off nursing school. They can also start higher, depending on training + work experience.

Mind you, this is second-hand data I got from a couple of buddies who worked as hospital techs at my last base.

yeah, even if you're at the bottom of your med school class you still have to pay them similar to if they worked in the civilian sector. It's also my favorite military doctor joke followed shortly by references to the multiple uses of Motrin.

there once was an OBGYN that came in as an O-5 because he had something like 20 years of experience. He got tired of paying for malpractice insurance which apparently gets more costly as you get older. There's also some really sweet incentives for certain skills that can eclipse your base pay. Anesthesiologists for example.

USNavyFlyer

Established Member
I would say join the Navy, but Air Force quality of life beats living on the boat any day no matter how much they still complain. Regardless, thanks to all the maintainers that keep us flying and fighting.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
I would say join the Navy, but Air Force quality of life beats living on the boat any day no matter how much they still complain.

This... No idea we had so many fly-boys on this forum. I was a 2MO32, ICBM maintenance, and after Sept. 11th happened, a bunch of my field was 'partially' crosstrained into sec. forces. I didn't have the double AFSC but I had 2 jobs, it was cool. One day a cop, next day working on nukes. True story.

StangJason

Established Member
I was a Communications - computer operator 3C0(something) and it had some very good jobs with computers and it had some not so great jobs. My favorite job by was at Norad where I worked with IBM Mainframes and learned to play Spades, Heroes Might and Magic 1 through 3...oh I went to college some. My 2nd station was a help desk (not so great) but I still had a lot of free time.

I've heard plane mechanics can have a lot of stress especially if their air crafts have problems or God help you if it crashes! Oh I've heard this second hand from my Airman Leadership teacher so take it with a grain of salt and find out for yourself.

Yes I think overall I enjoyed the Air Force but could be very difficult at times.

Users who are viewing this thread