Thinking of buying a classic Mustang? Am I crazy?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Pm me phone my phone number and I will be glad to offer you some advice.
I just spent twenty minutes writing a post only for it to not post. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! not going to do that again.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
There is no substitute for taste these days! Unless you can purchase a 6-figure Italian Stallion....

I'm a proponent. I am a sucker for punishment as well. Daily drive a 1993 Defender and tool around with a Pantera. Recon is right...pick your poison...but, it's true. You're never done. But, that's part of the hobby, right? People pay for drugs, booze, or other hobbies such as running equip..shit like that. I spend money on classic car parts and the fact I love driving them. Funny enough...I get 4x as many compliments in the Defender as I do the Pantera. It's worth it...

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
The first car I bought was a 1970 Mustang when I was 16. I want another one...because of all the "negatives" posted here.

blk02edge

Established Member
Classics are cool for cruising/cars and coffee but thats about it IMO. Nothing wrong with that. I suspect after im done playing race car driver i'll end up in a muscle car of some sort and restomod it as far as my bank account will allow

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Having grown up with these cars I will say this. The newer cars are light years ahead in almost every measure. But there is just something that stirs the soul about older cars.
Cars that were designed by men with pens and paper and built with machinery built by men with their hands. An almost perfect imperfectness for lack of a better phase.

If it was me I would buy something like the car I watched on Hemmings last year. 1966 Mustang Fastback GT350 "Tribute". It had the front bumper, the side windows, the side pipes. It has Disc brakes, a 347ci, TKO600, A/C, New paint, freshly done just a year or so ago. They were asking $35k, a steal compared to what it would cost to do it new.
There is something about a machine that is purely mechanical. You hear the gears, you hear the valves, you smell the oil and gas, etc.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^thats what I am talking about! I would jump on a 66 fastback that’s a moderate build

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gotwood

Established Member
Your not crazy ay all OP and in fact, I’m in the same situation myself. I’ve been searching the online trader, CL and eBay for a 65/66 very or 2+2 or a 69/70 Mach. I’ve never owned a classic and always wanted one but really miss having an 03/04 Cobra as well which I’ve been looking for in the FS threads here.

jaxbusa

Established Member
It could be cool. Last week I was trying to talk my wife into an old Volkswagen bug. I understand where you’re coming from. You have to keep your expectations in check and accept it for the outdated antique that it is. I would still have to do a full suspension, power steering, power brakes and a fuel injection kit though.

These people are just enjoying them for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
All I'll say about classic cars is this: Everybody loves the notion of owning one. Then, they realize underpowered, undertired, poor handling cars with drum brakes aren't much fun to drive. I wouldn't do it.

Read this.
Look at my sig.
Then read this quote again, because it's 100% true.

Even the most "rotisserie restored, 100% concourse restoration" is going to have problems. You're going to get excited, order a part, and find out that what should have been a 15 minute afternoon dopamine fix turns into a wrench-throwing curse-inventing pain in the ass.

The cars have history and they're really not very comfortable. Manufacturing sucked in comparison to today's level of precision, so fitment on most things isn't that great either. On the plus side, it's at least simple.

Can it be rewarding? Absolutely. I haven't hit that point yet, but I'm hoping.

So, ask yourself- are you planning on expending your entire budget looking for a "perfect" car that isn't really "perfect," or can you settle for a driver's car that runs, isn't perfect, but doesn't drain the bank? Just be aware, taking on a full restoration is a bank account draining experience and not an investment in most cases.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So because I'm a sucker for punishing my bank account and increasing my time in the garage I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a classic Mustang fastback.

Budget is $40k or so.

Obviously this won't be a numbers matching GT500 or some car that's had a rotisserie restoration, etc.

I want a car to drive (as intended when originally manufactured!). I don't want a problem car that will have me endlessly chasing gremlins.

I'm not even sure where to start looking. Any reliable dealers, forums,etc? I know the guys who run Classic Car Studio in St Louis (they have a cable show now). That's about it.

Please learn me, SVTP!
I owned, years before I knew how to actually work on cars, a 1970 Chevelle. I was lucky that it was a rust free desert car. Billed as a 454 Chevelle it was VERY rough. Sported SS396 badging.... Got it home, spent a ton of money on it (what i had when I was younger anyway). Fully rebuilt engine, new front and rear glass, new repop interior. She was on her way. Turns out the car was an SS396 with the F41 suspension and brake package with a year correct LS5 454 big block. someone sprayed her primer gray and stuck a 6 cylinder VIN tag on the dash.... :D :D

Then I realized that the brakes were shit and needed complete overhaul, the rear end was in need of a rebuild, the trans was in need of a rebuild, the suspension needed attention. I couldnt afford it and had no tools or experience. Let her go with full disclosure of everything going on, VIN tag an all.

That being said: If someone ELSE has already invested that time and money into her and you just maintain and enjoy, then it would be worth your time. I found this girl on ebay:

1970 Ford Mustang | eBay

1967 Ford Mustang fastback | eBay

1967 Ford Mustang 2+2 FASTBACK | eBay

Eleanor! :D :D

Last edited:

Chum731

Shark Baiter
Established Member
76FE385C-C381-46D5-8E3E-216FF58BB110.jpeg
7DF00457-CFB7-4FBC-BC40-093F6A70CCA7.jpeg
I have a 65 GT Fastback

It is fun to bring to Coffee and Cars type things

Pictures of the car have made it on The Chive which was pretty cool. Picture 15 and 16

DIY Muscle Car Builds Photos Firebird Mustang Camaro Pictures theChive : theCHIVE

I am an old school kind of guy and like the carb and the looks it gets

Buy something that is close to what you want so you don’t have to put fuel injection etc

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
80 mph in a vintage Mustang feels like 130 in a newer Mustang. The noise...the vibration...the heavier steering...no nannies...make driving an old car such a visceral experience...even if that car is a restomod.

I like all kinds of cars. I owned a gorgeous completely stock ‘66 GT coupe. Amazing car. Drove like a dream. Sounded wonderful. Would it rip your face off from a 30mph roll? Heck no. But tons of fun nonetheless.
My keeper is the ‘66 coupe in my sig. 90% Restomod / 10% road course car (eventually). It is a ton of fun for me to do the research and buy and install the right upgrades and watch a sedate 289 2-barrel C4 cruiser turn into a corner carving machine with tons of power (forged and supercharged 331 5-speed) and great brakes.

Do what you like. Stock. Restomod. Turn wrenches or buy one already done. You will have a ball once you figure out exactly what you want.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
You guys are great. Will reread in the am.

For reference, it's 20 years newer than a gen 1 mustang but I do have the 89 930. Yes I spent a boatload restoring it but it still drives like a 30 year old car. No power anything. Lots of fun to drive, in a totally different way, than the 2018 GT3 my dad replaced it with when I bought the 930 off him.

...And I have the C7Z for fast and modern.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
My first two cars were old school, a 77 and 70 1/2 Camaro. I really miss my 70 Camaro, no they don’t drive like a new car but the nostalgia and style is something new cars can’t touch. I will be looking to get one soon.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Having done a few 1st gens for clients and friends, they are still a great platform to build a ridiculously fast and great handling car.....

You just won't do it with anything stock on one.

400hp in one is overkill. You have to tub the body to fit wide enough tires to handle just that power because you can't fit decent width tires under it without doing so.

The engine bay will be tight. Putting a big block in one usually means using an engine hoist anytime plugs need changing.

You will pull your hair out if you don't Dynamat the entire thing.

They are a great platform to start with, though, since they are so light and have plenty of parts available.

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
Op all the advice you have gotten so far is spot on vintage mustangs are cool, but they can become a fulltime thing you are working on. Most are at least 50 years old by now or closing in on it. If you super serious decide what years you really are interested in look into the common problem areas for rust. Know what to look for and start getting involved with an MCA club alittle getting to know some of them will probably lead to a possible lead on some nice projects.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread