Thinking of selling my terminator and getting a cts-v. Thoughts?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Have you driven the V? I'm guessing not. They're incredible cars, but in a whole different league than your Cobra, and not necessarily in a good way. They're quick, but you're going to feel the extra weight, and even with the added power, it won't feel as fast as your Cobra. If speed and luxury are your thing, then go for it. If you're doing it for power benefits, keep the Cobra. Also, there's a ton of badass V's out there, they can make insane power if you plan on modding the car.

08mojo

Established Member
I absolutely despise Carmax. Some love their business model, I am one that hates it. Carmax will completely under-value your car. Take a look at the market section here, 03-04 Cobras are still fetching way above blue book value. I don't know the CTS-V market, but I'm assuming you can get one for blue book elsewhere without much effort.

I absolutely miss my 03 Cobra, the car will always be special to me. However, I am glad that I moved on. The newer cars, from almost all makes, are better all around: more comfort, more power (this is arguable), better platforms to hold power, etc...

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's the same reason that a 300HP LX Fox can feel like a monster.

True statement, especially with short gears. I think it can be argued that you can have just as much or more fun cruising around town in a crate motor Fox with 4.10's vs. doing highway pulls in a 700+whp V. Terminator is the best of both in this regard.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I absolutely despise Carmax.

Add me to that list. I shopped hard for two months for a used SUV for my wife last year and it opened my eyes to Carmax. They basically try to sell auction cars like they're CPO gems. They get away with it because I guess people are just lazy and uninterested when it comes to used car shopping. About the only thing Carmax is good for IMO is being able to test drive in one afternoon several different vehicles you might be cross shopping in the used market.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
I've owned both and I enjoyed the V a lot more than the cobra. Everything about the V was more enjoyable and in my opinion they look better too, mine was a coupe though, I feel the coupes look better than the sedans. I felt my cobra felt heavy but you'll feel the difference when you drive the V, it feels even heavier. Gas mileage is just as bad as a TS cobra. My cobra would get about 15-17 mpg and the V was around 14-16 mpg. You will get more attention with V, especially if it's a coupe.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
So he's not allowed to finance the V? Bleh, if he can comfortably afford the payments, go for it. That $ is better served in the bank/invested vs buying a $37k outright.

Hopefully finance nothing, yes. That would be my advice, but it is hopeful. If you can afford the 37K luxury, then hopefully you can bankroll enough cash to mitigate the total finance amount to nothing or much less than 37K.

But that is just my opinion. Most people don't seem to have a problem with financing a 60K depreciating asset, so by all means.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Two completely different animals. The Caddy will be fun, but will feel much more muted and tame than the Terminator.
^This
Do you daily the Terminator? If no, then don't do it - you'll only come to regret it like so many others. Now if you daily the Terminator then it's a whole other conversation.
^And this!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
True statement, especially with short gears. I think it can be argued that you can have just as much or more fun cruising around town in a crate motor Fox with 4.10's vs. doing highway pulls in a 700+whp V. Terminator is the best of both in this regard.

i agree. to me the terminator is a nice blend of old and new technologies. i want the car to transmit as much of the driving experience as possible to me, but still be powerful and turnkey reliable.

i am probably in the minority here but the only modern electronics that i want in my car are efi (instead of carburator/distributor) and a great stereo system. no abs, traction control - and certainly no mic'd in engine noise! lol

op keep the cobra :thumbsup:

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
Change is good

tumblr_mb1x6oWaoD1roixiho9_r1_250.gif

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Thank you guys so much for the input. I wanted to reply to everyone because it was all so good, but that would be too long.

In short, yes I do dd the cobra, and I'm a hydraulic mechanic too at that haha. But its mint condition everything gets covered up on the inside etc. Its not that its not comfortable enough or fast enough, its that its getting old, and I could maybe go for something faster and more luxurious.

I would have to finance the V, yes, however it would be a newer car and it would be one that would be reputable in my opinion as a "car guy/gear head". I guess there's somewhat of a feeling of wanting to upgrade or move on or whatever. I have no idea what else I would trade my cobra for, because like I said before it would have to be faster and more luxurious. Any input on something else I could get in that price range that would be a stand out ride is more than welcome.

I know they're mod friendly, and lol at the guy who said the V crowd are upscale ricers because I've seen it myself and that's hilarious that you said that.

I know it will feel heavier overall even though its faster and that kind of throws me off. I bought this terminator because my r/t before felt too heavy/tame and not fast enough. I love the way I can feel everything when I drive it, don't get me wrong, that's why I bought it, and I will miss that raw feeling.

Can anyone think of another vehicle I should be looking at? And I'm surprised to see that no one said stop being a pussy and finance a bigger blower/turbo and fuel system instead hahaha.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you kinda made up your mind already and want the more luxurious ride.
A CTS-V is a nice car and quick. Mod friendly too. :burnout:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Sounds like you kinda made up your mind already and want the more luxurious ride.
A CTS-V is a nice car and quick. Mod friendly too. :burnout:

I kind of made up my mind to move on if I can, but not necessarily on that ride in particular. I mean I can't really afford a newer shelby or anything... and I wouln't really want a c6z...

nate

Established Member
Add me to that list. I shopped hard for two months for a used SUV for my wife last year and it opened my eyes to Carmax. They basically try to sell auction cars like they're CPO gems. They get away with it because I guess people are just lazy and uninterested when it comes to used car shopping. About the only thing Carmax is good for IMO is being able to test drive in one afternoon several different vehicles you might be cross shopping in the used market.

Make that 3 that stay away from Carmax. When my wife and I were looking for a used minivan, we took her acura in for an appraisal and picked out a used caravan. They wanted $19000 for the minivan, and offered us around $5000 for her car, (I think, its been a couple of years). Left, sold her car a week later private party for around $9000 on craigslist, and found a nicer caravan, 1 owner, less miles, for $12,xxx at a big dodge dealer down the street. Sell your car yourself, and find a clean V if that is what you want to do. Had I had gone with Carmax, that crappy van would have cost me $9000 more.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Since it's your daily driver, yeah a V would be sweet, but not from Carmax. Not sure what you think about Shelby's, but that price range would also get you into a 2010.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I absolutely miss my 03 Cobra, the car will always be special to me. However, I am glad that I moved on. The newer cars, from almost all makes, are better all around: more comfort, more power (this is arguable), better platforms to hold power, etc...

I'm with you on this. My '04 holds a special place with me also. Regretted selling it but needed the money at the time.

I've owned both and I enjoyed the V a lot more than the cobra. Everything about the V was more enjoyable and in my opinion they look better too, mine was a coupe though, I feel the coupes look better than the sedans. I felt my cobra felt heavy but you'll feel the difference when you drive the V, it feels even heavier. Gas mileage is just as bad as a TS cobra. My cobra would get about 15-17 mpg and the V was around 14-16 mpg. You will get more attention with V, especially if it's a coupe.

I would say the V coupe is what the S197 GT500's should have been. More refinement, more power, and IRS. The V is mod friendly but things we take for granted like changing upper pullies is a real bitch on a CTSV. Mine only has a CAI and I fully expect on tires it would run 11.5-6 on a cold day. It's already been 11.79 in the heat on Nitto Invo's.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Add me to that list. ...

Me, too. Although, despise might be a touch too harsh for me. Years ago I wanted to sell a car just to be rid of it and have some extra cash. Took it to Carmax and they offered me about 50% of Blue Book value!!! Haven't set foot on a Carmax lot since, for any reason.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Id get a decent reliable daily before selling the cobra for another toy.

+1. Beings I live in Minnesota and they like to salt the roads this is what I've always done. I daily a 98 f150 and my cobra is strictly a "fun" car.

nxhappy

Established Member
keep the cobra, put it in the garage, and buy a honda.

the cobra will rise in value over time. The caddy is nice but eventually will be worthless like all other cars.....

Users who are viewing this thread