Thinking of selling my terminator and getting a cts-v. Thoughts?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So I always said I'd only get rid of the cobra for a car that's faster and way more luxurious. So the other day someone mentioned the CTS V to me and my immediate reaction is that I can't afford it, because I was going to get one instead of the cobra a long time ago and it was too much. Was at CarMax with a buddy the other day and it turns out CarMax is about to start doing this thing where they match kelly blue book prices if u sell your car to them. Also turns out, they have a sweet 2011 CTS-V with 40k miles too, for $37,000. What a coincidence.

So what do you guys think? Sound like a good upgrade? Good deal? Any input at all. I need all haters to be on full hate mode.

Basically with all the calculations and the money for the cobra down, I'd be paying $400 a month.

No, I can't afford an AMG, or an M series, or an S series, or anything foreign. Next time...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Two completely different animals. The Caddy will be fun, but will feel much more muted and tame than the Terminator.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive never looked at book for a Terminator but considering what the car is Id suspect youd get more selling private.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Do you daily the Terminator? If no, then don't do it - you'll only come to regret it like so many others. Now if you daily the Terminator then it's a whole other conversation.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Two completely different animals. The Caddy will be fun, but will feel much more muted and tame than the Terminator.

Have to agree with this.

The CTS-V has more power (stock for stock) and creature comforts. It is 700# heavier and you do notice the weight some. It's very sedate until you get on it, sensation of speed between the two are completely different. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I certainly enjoy it but just keep that in mind. Take it on a long test drive to see if it meets expectations.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Do you daily the Terminator? If no, then don't do it - you'll only come to regret it like so many others. Now if you daily the Terminator then it's a whole other conversation.

Agreed.

Aldo honestly, not to be a douche, but if by "affording it" you mean you can sacrifice a little to make the payment, then don't.

If by afford it you mean, you have enough money to buy it if you sell the Cobra, and hopefully finance nothing, then disregard.

Rct851

Established Member
Agreed.

Aldo honestly, not to be a douche, but if by "affording it" you mean you can sacrifice a little to make the payment, then don't.

If by afford it you mean, you have enough money to buy it if you sell the Cobra, and hopefully finance nothing, then disregard.

Agreed here.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Have to agree with this.

The CTS-V has more power (stock for stock) and creature comforts. It is 700# heavier and you do notice the weight some. It's very sedate until you get on it, sensation of speed between the two are completely different. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I certainly enjoy it but just keep that in mind. Take it on a long test drive to see if it meets expectations.

It's the same reason that a 300HP LX Fox can feel like a monster. There's much less electronics and nannies between you and the experience.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you older than the typical Cobra owner? Do you appreciate comfort over raw power?
Get the Caddy. It (with a large influx of cash) can be made even faster than a Cobra
Will you be carrying more than one other person in the car for more than two hours?
Get the Caddy. Their ass will thank you.
Want to impress valets, other drivers, and young women?
Get the Caddy.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
It's the same reason that a 300HP LX Fox can feel like a monster. There's much less electronics and nannies between you and the experience.

Nannies make a huge difference. Test drove one E55 and it started hammering rain, with all the nannies you could hammer it and there would be no spin or sliding.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I'd say go for it. Many Cobra owners have made the same move with the same car and claimed to happy

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Nannies make a huge difference. Test drove one E55 and it started hammering rain, with all the nannies you could hammer it and there would be no spin or sliding.

The S550 is a lot like that on the track. You can do things that seem stupid and the car doesn't let go.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
The S550 is a lot like that on the track. You can do things that seem stupid and the car doesn't let go.

It's one of those doubled edge swords. The tech is great and helps you really push. Yet it also allows some to get over confident and get themselves in trouble.

MFE

Established Member
Doing some math here, looking at $37k for the caddy less blue book on a 2003 cobra, and ending up with a $400/month payment, it sounds to me like you're about to take out a 5 year loan for $25k on a 5 year old car. That's not what I call "can afford", but that's me I guess.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Go for a ride in a modded one and see what you think. I rode in a 7xxHP one and it was insane on launch and from a roll. Is it an A6 or M6? In my opinion it would be an upgrade. Newer car, more creature comforts, blower, etc etc.

Blown 89

Established Member
Having made that jump here's what you can expect:

- The V will get WAY more attention. Seriously, it's to the point of ridiculousness.
- The V will feel numb. Throttle response, chassis feel, ride, audible sensations....everything. If you go manual the shifter is numb and squishy, it's not like the ATS-V's spectacular gear changes. Unfortunately there aren't any decent shifter options. I both hate and love this about the car.
- It doesn't matter if you have an exhaust or not, the it's much quieter inside. It's a buzz kill if you have an exhaust
- No interior rattles, squeaks, etc.
- Gas mileage in the V SUCKS. My geared and modded 01 looked like a Prius in comparison
- The V will feel heavier, it's noticeable
- The V won't feel fast even though it will merc the 03 in your sig
- Sound quality wise the stereo is pretty good but don't expect anything aftermarket.
- The V is very mod friendly
- The V community.....upscale ricers
- The V is mod friendly. Very, very, very mod friendly
- Aftermarket parts are more expensive
- Getting good tires is a nightmare
- The electronic luxuries are severely dated
- Budget for traffic tickets. 120 feels like 65.
- The interior is nicer than you've read and so is everything else for that matter. Reviewers were unnecessarily rough on everything that wasn't the drivetrain in this car compared to competitors of the same generation

I miss the sensory input of my Cobra but I enjoy being able to talk on the phone on commutes. It's a tossup. If I didn't race a shifter kart on the weekends I would miss my Cobra a lot more. If you have specific questions shoot me a PM.

Edit: go over a used car thoroughly. From what I've seen V owners beat the shit out of their cars and some have janky work done.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Agreed.

So he's not allowed to finance the V? Bleh, if he can comfortably afford the payments, go for it. That $ is better served in the bank/invested vs buying a $37k outright.

Users who are viewing this thread