Thinking of trading a 2011 GT500 for a s550

Dusten

Established Member
If I’m financing a 2012 Shelby GT500 and Im looking 2017 GT350R, does that mean the Shelby is most likely out of my price range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, but you didn't specify you're looking at a 2015 gt to keep payments the same... there's about a 30k difference in s good gt350 and a used 2015....

Ohio Snake

Established Member
No, but you didn't specify you're looking at a 2015 gt to keep payments the same... there's about a 30k difference in s good gt350 and a used 2015....

My point is, the OP did not state he wanted to keep the payments the same...only that the payments between his current 2011 Shelby and the 2015 GT are “a wash”.

He should test drive the S550 Shelby and a S550 GT to gauge if he likes the body style and performance over his 2011 GT500.

Personally, I prefer the the S197 2012 Shelby over the S550 body style and the Shelby variant over a GT. You prefer the S550 GT and thats great.

Dusten

Established Member
My point is, the OP did not state he wanted to keep the payments the same...only that the payments between his current 2011 Shelby and the 2015 GT are “a wash”.

He should test drive the S550 Shelby and a S550 GT to gauge if he likes the body style and performance over his 2011 GT500.

Personally, I prefer the the S197 2012 Shelby over the S550 body style and the Shelby variant over a GT. You prefer the S550 GT and thats great.

I never said I preferred it. I said I own it.

I don't dd rigs without a warranty. Rules out the gt500... And I already have one 75k rig. I didn't need a 60k mustang that uses oil.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I never said I preferred it. I said I own it.

I don't dd rigs without a warranty. Rules out the gt500... And I already have one 75k rig. I didn't need a 60k mustang that uses oil.

If you don’t prefer the GT you own, does that mean you wish you owned a Shelby.....or that you own your GT because you liked it it over a S197 GT500, S550 Shelby or V6 premium or any other mustang?

You mentioned the dd “rig” assuming you mean a truck, RV or semi....... I am totally in agreement with you on obtaining a warranty on a rig since I have a a 140k rig as well. I think we would be crazy not having a warranty on it.

No one said you must need a 60K mustang that uses oil.....a good reason I own a 2012 Shelby GT500 over a S550 Shelby GT350, based on your knowledge of an oil issue.

Again, the OP has lots of choices. I would retain the 2011 GT500 over the S550 GT.....just my preference.

Dusten

Established Member
If you don’t prefer the GT you own, does that mean you wish you owned a Shelby.....or that you own your GT because you liked it it over a S197 GT500, S550 Shelby or V6 premium or any other mustang?

You mentioned the dd “rig” assuming you mean a truck, RV or semi....... I am totally in agreement with you on obtaining a warranty on a rig since I have a a 140k rig as well. I think we would be crazy not having a warranty on it.

No one said you must need a 60K mustang that uses oil.....a good reason I own a 2012 Shelby GT500 over a S550 Shelby GT350, based on your knowledge of an oil issue.

Again, the OP has lots of choices. I would retain the 2011 GT500 over the S550 GT.....just my preference.

Rig is any car to me.

My gt is my dd.
I prefer it over every gt500 but the 13-14.

I like it. I'd prefer a gt350 but as I already have a truck that was 75k new I wasn't going to spend 60k on a gt350 that is likely going to burn oil. So I spent 38k on a gt premium performance pack instead. It does 90% of what the Shelby does for much less.

Again, I wouldn't buy an older gt500 they offer me nothing I don't already have.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Rig is any car to me.

My gt is my dd.

I like it. I'd prefer a gt350 but as I already have a truck that was 75k new I want going to spend 60k in a gt350 that is likely going to burn oil. I spent 38k on a gt premium performance pack instead.

Again, I wouldn't buy an older gt500 they offer me nothing I don't already have.

Gotcha. I see the word “rig” and immediate think just truck, semi or RV.

I drove a 2016 S550 GT as a rental on a trip to NC. It was a nice ride, but I felt a bit more cramped when compared to the S197. The power was strong, just not up to the same level as the my Shelby.

Again, I prefer the look of the 2010-2014 Shelby’s....but get where your coming from.

PS: My dd is an 18 Platinum Explorer. After driving it for 6 months, the Shelby now feels cramped....lol!

Dusten

Established Member
Gotcha. I see the word “rig” and immediate think just truck, semi or RV.

I drove a 2016 S550 GT as a rental on a trip to NC. It was a nice ride, but I felt a bit more cramped when compared to the S197. The power was strong, just not up to the same level as the my Shelby.

Again, I prefer the look of the 2010-2014 Shelby’s....but get where your coming from.

PS: My dd is an 18 Platinum Explorer. After driving it for 6 months, the Shelby now feels cramped....lol!

I can imagine my wife's f350 feels massive compared to the gt

97cobra...

Established Member
The GT wouldn’t be a DD for me it’s only a weekend / summer toy , as far as the GT350 there cool cars but for the money I’d rather save some money and get an 18+ 10spd. The 15 GT I’m looking at is loaded and only has 18k on it, it’s in great shape the main reason for wanting to switch from the Shelby is the interior upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I miss the 09 Gt500 I had and have been contemplating a 11-12 GT500. Honestly go with your gut on this one, but me personally I wouldn’t give up your 2011 GT500 for any S550.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I was on the same boat OP, but couldn't do it in the end lol. Really like both cars and wish I could be spoiled and afford both :D. Feel like the S550 would be a killer DD with it's amenities and the GT500 serves awesome as a weekend toy..

I drove an 18 auto and it was sweet, but almost pulled the trigger for this 16 which would be my unicorn s550, black on black PP 6 speed with Recaros and low miles.. Ultimately I felt I would miss the GT500 and would also have had to take a bath on it as well, so I just walked away. Tough call imo, both are sweet cars , Good Luck with your decision.

s550 1.PNG
s550 2.PNG

cj428mach

Established Member
Its interesing to hear people talk about the rawness of the gt500. All i ever hear is the gt500s are too refined compared to a Terminator. The s550 must be like driving a prius.

Dusten

Established Member
Its interesing to hear people talk about the rawness of the gt500. All i ever hear is the gt500s are too refined compared to a Terminator. The s550 must be like driving a prius.

No. Its nothing like a ****ing prius. They are loud and shouty and fast and nimble.

I have and have had many variations of mustangs. If by raw people mean shitty, rattly, loud and hard to live with, then sure older mustangs are raw.

For **** sakes though an s550 with run 11s stock. The 2018s trap right along with an s197 gt500 save for the 13-14. They stop better with pp brakes, they handle amazing. Got forbid they dont say ****ing shelby.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think part of the rawness comes from the fact that the SN95 was a modified Fox platform. An updated version of a mid 70's engineering design. If you think about it like that, the Fox, SN95's and Terminators can trace their origins to that of the Muscle car era.

No. Its nothing like a ****ing prius. They are loud and shouty and fast and nimble.

I have and have had many variations of mustangs. If by raw people mean shitty, rattly, loud and hard to live with, then sure older mustangs are raw.

For **** sakes though an s550 with run 11s stock. The 2018s trap right along with an s197 gt500 save for the 13-14. They stop better with pp brakes, they handle amazing. Got forbid they dont say ****ing shelby.

By extension you could place that same comparison to the Cobra and I bet you that youd have a riot on your hands. The Shelby name to me doesnt make the GT500 a special car, though its connection with Carrol Shelby's blessing is valuable to ME. Its the engineering that went into it that makes it truly special. They did this at a time when Ford really had no reason to design and sell a 500+ hp supercharged Mustang.

But they did and in MY2007, it literally was in a class of its own. The performance of Mustang, GT500 and the S197 in the ABSENCE of any competition is a testament to the commitment Ford had to making enthusiast cars. Credit cars like the 2010+ Camaro and the Challenger for pushing Ford to create such a versatile and underrated engine like the Coyote and later the S550.

At the end of the day, no one questions the S550's refinement as a car over previous Mustangs, nor question its prowess as a basis for performance. But to dismiss the contributions that the SVT Terminators and GT500's made to overall late model Mustang performance seems a little disingenuous.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

For me, the 500 ft-lbs of rw torque at 1800 rpm (at a DA of roughly 8000') is what makes my GT500 a beast that would be hard to replace with a 550.

Dusten

Established Member
I think part of the rawness comes from the fact that the SN95 was a modified Fox platform. An updated version of a mid 70's engineering design. If you think about it like that, the Fox, SN95's and Terminators can trace their origins to that of the Muscle car era.

By extension you could place that same comparison to the Cobra and I bet you that youd have a riot on your hands. The Shelby name to me doesnt make the GT500 a special car, though its connection with Carrol Shelby's blessing is valuable to ME. Its the engineering that went into it that makes it truly special. They did this at a time when Ford really had no reason to design and sell a 500+ hp supercharged Mustang.

But they did and in MY2007, it literally was in a class of its own. The performance of Mustang, GT500 and the S197 in the ABSENCE of any competition is a testament to the commitment Ford had to making enthusiast cars. Credit cars like the 2010+ Camaro and the Challenger for pushing Ford to create such a versatile and underrated engine like the Coyote and later the S550.

At the end of the day, no one questions the S550's refinement as a car over previous Mustangs, nor question its prowess as a basis for performance. But to dismiss the contributions that the SVT Terminators and GT500's made to overall late model Mustang performance seems a little disingenuous.

Ive owned a truck load of svt's( 2 cobras, 3 lightnings, 2 svtf, and an svt contour)

Guess what, they're all just fords with fancy parts.

Where did I dismiss anythings contributions?

My point was there is a difference between raw visceral power and raw because its outdated and you "feel" more connected.

My lightning is "raw". It makes 600+ ft/lbs at 2400 rpm with a 2800 stall. Its got some of the best suspension bits made for it. That doesnt make it better than a new truck. And its by mo means better just because the ****ing tailgate says svt. Especially since 90% of what svt did is in the trash bin.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Ive owned a truck load of svt's( 2 cobras, 3 lightnings, 2 svtf, and an svt contour)

Guess what, they're all just fords with fancy parts.

Where did I dismiss anythings contributions?

My point was there is a difference between raw visceral power and raw because its outdated and you "feel" more connected.

My lightning is "raw". It makes 600+ ft/lbs at 2400 rpm with a 2800 stall. Its got some of the best suspension bits made for it. That doesnt make it better than a new truck. And its by mo means better just because the ****ing tailgate says svt. Especially since 90% of what svt did is in the trash bin.

Im an auto enthusiast and never really thought of my current Shelby and previous 2 Cobras as “just Fords with fancy parts”.

Dusten

Established Member
Im an auto enthusiast and never really thought of my current Shelby and previous 2 Cobras as “just Fords with fancy parts”.

Well they arent anything else.

Same basic chassis with upgrades bolted on.

The more modern variations got farther and farther away from their v6 roots, especially the 2020 gt500 thats coming.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

That truck space is amazing!!

Well... that’s exactly what they are lol.

They do hold their value tho... that’s the real draw IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread