Thinking of trading a 2011 GT500 for a s550

97cobra...

Established Member
Im not if sure if this is the right place for the question but I figured this would get the widest range of opinions. I currently own a 2011 GT500 and came across a good deal on an s550, but I can’t make up my mind. In one hand I love the rawness and just plan old torque of the GT500, in the other I really dig the updated interior of the s550 plus all the extra small stuff like the navigation, heated and cooled seats are nice and eventually I could do a blower on that car. As far as payments good it would end up being a wash as I would actually owe less on the s550 then I do on the Shelby. Both cars are great in there own ways I just can’t decide if I can give up the shelby name for a regular GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Im not a S550 fan (look-wise) unless it is a Shelby. I’ve had Mustang GT’s in the past and it does not get the attention of the Shelby versions unless YOU make it stand out.

Why not consider a used Shelby GT350 in S550 body-style?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dusten

Established Member
Im not a S550 fan (look-wise) unless it is a Shelby. I’ve had Mustang GT’s in the past and it does not get the attention of the Shelby versions unless YOU make it stand out.

Why not consider a used Shelby GT350 in S550 body-style?

Because he's not trying to owe more money?

Go drive the s550 if you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. And don't swallow the Shelby hype. Drive what you like, not what turns heads.

Besides I get tons of compliments in my lowly gt

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You can make an S550 GT outperform an S197 GT500. S550 is a hell of a chassis compared to the S197 and are wonderful cars. At the end of the day though, a GT will only ever be a GT no matter how you mod it. A GT500 will always be a GT500 regardless of what the current model can do.

If that prestige matters to you, the choice wont be easy. If you dont care about it and just want a nice,new, comfortable but capable performer, get the GT. Id honestly recommend renting an S550 Mustang for a week before you pull the trigger and make sure that the new interior and ride is worth giving up your Shelby.

2010+ Mustang interiors were big upgrades over the 05-09. I road tested a 2015 GT Premium when they first came out. It was impressive, but didnt have anywhere near the brutality of my 2011. Doubly that when I upgraded the rear suspension.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I would recommend focusing your efforts on paying off existing car first. Double up your payments as opposed to getting a newer mustang and then spending money on mods. Otherwise you will be chasing debt forever.

coposrv

Established Member
None of the new features interest me. I would keep the 500 but I tend to collect cars and rarely sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I would keep the GT500. It'll always be worth something and will always look good. The S550 is light years ahead in the interior dept. The new 5.0 can take a lot of power & the 10-spd is a game changer but 2 things kill it for me with the S550.

1. I'm tall and hit my head getting in and out. I believe the roof is lower than the S197.

2. Let me preface this by saying to each their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The S550 is just too SN-95ish for me. Look at the Camaro or Challenger, they look tough, masculine, aggressive. The S550 looks like a genderfluid Soy-boy wearing skinny jeans.
Having said that, if you are building a street car the S550 is the best platform to do it on, that is if you don't care about looks.

96gt02

Established Member
Depends on how your going to use it, If its a road race or drag car the GT will be superior. The S550 has better features, better interior, better handling. But the GT500 looks way better and is more fun to cruise around with IMO. Also the GT500 actually holds its value unlike any GT so my vote would always be for a GT500 for fun factor, you cant beat the instant torque, the 5.0 just never has the same feel no matter what you do to it.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Spend some time driving a S550 and see what you think. Research the mods (if any) you might consider for both cars. With the right mods either car can have brutal performance and handling. If the bottom line invested in either car is a factor consider that as well. Also consider the fact that the 500 has already depreciated and its market value will remain relatively stable while the S550 will take a few years for depreciation to slow. If it is still a tie in your mind then I’d stay put.

The Shelby name and the attention it brings means nothing to me but for some that is an important factor. I’m more concerned with bang for the buck but to each his own.

Dusten

Established Member
I would keep the GT500. It'll always be worth something and will always look good. The S550 is light years ahead in the interior dept. The new 5.0 can take a lot of power & the 10-spd is a game changer but 2 things kill it for me with the S550.

1. I'm tall and hit my head getting in and out. I believe the roof is lower than the S197.

2. Let me preface this by saying to each their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The S550 is just too SN-95ish for me. Look at the Camaro or Challenger, they look tough, masculine, aggressive. The S550 looks like a genderfluid Soy-boy wearing skinny jeans.
Having said that, if you are building a street car the S550 is the best platform to do it on, that is if you don't care about looks.

6 speed.... 2015

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, the Shelby will eventually go up in value as the rest of them get totalled.

The S550 won't for about 50 years, unless it is a GT350.

Not worth trading the Shelby.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Because he's not trying to owe more money?

Go drive the s550 if you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. And don't swallow the Shelby hype. Drive what you like, not what turns heads.

Besides I get tons of compliments in my lowly gt

He may or may not want to owe more money as this did seem to be an issue in his post.

Choose what you want to test drive, including a Shelby, to determine if you want the S550. Drive what you like and if you like a car, including a V6 premium or a Shelby, get it.

I have a buddy that has lowly V6 premium that turns heads as well. I see tons of GT’s out there....some are bad ass!

Dusten

Established Member
He may or may not want to owe more money as this did seem to be an issue in his post.

Choose what you want to test drive, including a Shelby, to determine if you want the S550. Drive what you like and if you like a car, including a V6 premium or a Shelby, get it.

I have a buddy that has lowly V6 premium that turns heads as well. I see tons of GT’s out there....some are bad ass!

If he's financing a 2011 and is looking at a 2015 chances are the gt350 is outside of his price range. Not to mention crap shoot on oil consumption

Ohio Snake

Established Member
If he's financing a 2011 and is looking at a 2015 chances are the gt350 is outside of his price range. Not to mention crap shoot on oil consumption

If I’m financing a 2012 Shelby GT500 and Im looking 2017 GT350R, does that mean the Shelby is most likely out of my price range?

Users who are viewing this thread