Those that installed the FRPP springs? Question..

venams03

Established Member
I just had the FRPP 5300 springs installed last night with an adjustable BMR panhard.

I paid a local mechanic to do it in his shop and watched the whole way.

Question I have. The springs did not come with any instructions in the box from FORD and I couldn't find any instructions with pictures online. The rear FRPP springs are progressive meaning they have uneven spaces in the springs top and bottom.

I looked at the forums but could only find 1 picture of a spring install and it looked like the larger spaced coils were installed towards the top of the car, while the tightly wound coils were towards the bottom. I also noticed that the there was a green dob of paint on the top of the spring when oriented in that configuration. Is that the way it should be installed? Just want to make sure that the rears were installed correctly?

I know it's been said before but for about 200, FORD should have just included those springs on the car from the factory and raised the MSRP by the same amount!

6-Speed

Established Member
When I install mine I will install with tighter coils on top. My FR springs are on back-order.

chimazo

Established Member
They go tight coils UP, as others have mentioned.
DSC00301.jpg

R1Lello

Established Member
Does it really matter?? If you disassemble a pen and compress the spring either way, it still compresses.......just like you diff still goes up and down. Just saying.....I don't even remember which way mine are.

chuckstang

Established Member
without jacking up the rear of my car,will I be able to tell if the tight coils are up top or no? since its compressed

I think it matters because my stance is all bizzaro and I think my tight coils are at the bottom.

Brian Z.

Established Member
Eibach's instructions inidicate the lettering on the springs should be right side up and not upside down, which puts the tighter coils up top.

venams03

Established Member
I'm wondering the same thing as R1Lello.

I had them installed tight end down because the only thread I could find on the FRPP springs at the time was one posted by SNAKEBITE and his appeared to be tight end down? Anyone think that this will not let the car settle right or mis-handle?

venams03

Established Member
Does anyone have a number for FRPP Customer Service. I'm hoping they could answer the question definitively. I don't want to have to re-do the rear if I don't need to

chuckstang

Established Member
I am going to have mine redone when I get around to it

My car is off from side to side front and rear a little less than quarter inch but is noticeable

I took pics and will post later because I can not tell for sure if they are tight coils down, just looks that way.

I also want you guys to see if you can tell if my front springs were installed correctly.

Are the front springs tight coils up as well? Or?

Thanks

Leonard 95

Established Member
Front springs only go on one way, they could of mispositioned them in the strut plate to cause a difference in height.

redline

Established Member
when i did mine i called steeda they said tight is up.seems to me if the tight coils were down they would bind.:rolling:

chuckstang

Established Member
could ride height be affected by this

I am interested to see what happens when I switch mine tight coils up

Anyone have the down like me haha

venams03

Established Member
Well I called FORD csr service. Says they definitely need to be installed with the tight coils up top so SNAKEBITE has his springs installed incorrectly like mine.

Need to get it reversed and then aligned...

Users who are viewing this thread