Those who've switched from 2007-2009 GT500 to 2011-2012 GT500

Brian Z.

Established Member
Interested in the opinions of those who have actually owned the earlier GT500's and traded in for a 2011 or 2012. What significant differences, if any, have you noticed (stock to stock)?

I apologize if this question has been asked before but I haven't seen it.

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
I've owned an '07 and now have a '12. The most pronounced difference is a seemingly stiffer chassis, more comfortable (and modern) interior and better fit and finish. And, of course, the '12 can actually go around a corner....Oddly enough, the white w/blue '07 got more looks than the stripe-delete, Ingot Silver SVTPP Recaro-optioned '12 in my garage. They really do seem like cousins more than brothers....

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
2010s get no love......

Yah, people are in love with the block. Otherwise they have the same upgrades as the '11+. Also, the block is somewhat of a bonus in my opinion. It can always be upgraded to aluminum later, or you could still go iron and use the savings for cams, springs and retainers. The 40+whp picked up from the cams would offset the 100lb penalty with ease :)

BigDan

Established Member
Yah, people are in love with the block. Otherwise they have the same upgrades as the '11+. Also, the block is somewhat of a bonus in my opinion. It can always be upgraded to aluminum later, or you could still go iron and use the savings for cams, springs and retainers. The 40+whp picked up from the cams would offset the 100lb penalty with ease :)

Except the 2011-2012 already comes with different cams which now allow the engine to make peak power at its 6,250 rpm red line and still climb once tuned. Most people/ shops are saying that the new cams are Ford GT Supercar cams.

In addition to the new cams the 2011-12's also have

*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Improved mufflers with more aggressive tone
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
*Improved under body aero dynamics
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Wideband o2's?
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Blind spot side view mirrors.
*Extra sound deadening material
*Lighted vanity mirrors for '12
*Adjustable steering for '12

as standard feature's over the 2010 model. Then you have all the special option's that you can only get on 2011-2012 models like the SVT Performance Pack, Recaro racing seats, Glass roof, ect.

I didn't want the OP to start getting confused :)

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member

100 pounds aint nuthin a pound of boost will take care of and as far as cornering who cares. I live in the hollers of the Blue Ridge by the way.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I've never driven either but when the OP said the '07 got more attention I understood that. Granted, the newer ones have more performance and interior goodies but the 07-09s definitely win the "eye test" hands down for me.

Bulldogger

Established Member
I've never driven either but when the OP said the '07 got more attention I understood that. Granted, the newer ones have more performance and interior goodies but the 07-09s definitely win the "eye test" hands down for me.

I agree with that. I don't like the rear light angle at all on the newer cars.

tommy s

Established Member
Drove my friends '11 gt 500 and I wasen't impressed . I REALY don't like the interior , 07-09 are much nicer , can't stand the back end ! 07-09 are just the best looking IMO .

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Drove my friends '11 gt 500 and I wasen't impressed . I REALY don't like the interior , 07-09 are much nicer , can't stand the back end ! 07-09 are just the best looking IMO .

I actually think the complete opposite, but to each his own.

gretzky99

Established Member
the 07-09 looks like the 68 gt 500, the 10-12 have the better interior but are too smooth looking ,the 07-09 are down right mean looking

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Looks are subjective in the eye of the beholder and interior is also subject to personal taste. Personally after driving a 2012 non-PP with Recaros and electronics pack I could honestly say that would be the car for me. I didn't buy an 07 because I didn't feel like it offered enough "perceived value" to offset the higher cost of an 03-04 cobra. I was anticipating another bang for your buck car of 500HP below 40k that would be another giant leap forward like the 03-04 was to the 99-01 like ford said it was going to be in 05 but fell short IMO. I loved the looks and like the car. The interior was blah and seats belong in an F150 not a Mustang. The interior and percieved value killed that car for me. The 2010s came and I love the looks(the rear took a while to get used to) and interior was great to me. Seats were much improved(amazing what an insert will do) but still not enough to make me give up my car.(but came Oh so Close) Then the 2012 recaro option came and now I have very little complaints about the new cars. Has a deep OD, is comfortable, all the gadgets and has a lot more performance stock to stock. The 07-09 was a great car no doubt about it but as with everything the car keeps evolving and keeps getting better and better in all aspects. Night and day difference between the two. I expect Ford to continue this trend and the next one will be even better which is amazing because the car as very little to complain about now. As long as Ford remains focuse on quality and improving the breed we all will be in for a treat.

Last edited:

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I went today to go and drive a 12' dealership was crazy busy, didn't even have a salesman to show me a car, not too mention all 4 12's were on the showroom floor. Making an appt for next weekend I'll chime in my impression, as I've owned my 07' for four years.

Colleton

Established Member

You are on crack.

I had an 09 GT500 and traded it in on an 11 last year. The interior on the 10+ cars is a night and day improvement over the 07-09. Add in Sync and the much improved nav system and there really is no comparison. We won't even mention power and handling, because the 07-09 cars lose there as well.

Now, the esthetics of the new body design are subjective, and everyone has their own opinion. Having owned both, I like the new body much better than the old, and that includes the rear end. The 07-09 cars look stodgy and dated to me now. YMMV.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i really like the 2012 with all the options but not willing to pay 57k to get one.

michschi

Established Member
Those tail lights or hideous on the new ones. 05-09 ftw on Stangs of all price ranges.

BigDan

Established Member
i really like the 2012 with all the options but not willing to pay 57k to get one.

I have seen a few new base 2012's going for $47k right now but I know you want the PP, NAV and Recaro's but that seems to be the extra money that's breaking your camels back.

Yes those options are nice and after a year of owning them yes I could live without those options when I drive my GT500 and be 95% as happy and no way would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't afford it loaded :-D

Since we're dreaming here are you wanting the glass roof option also? and I know you could make a ton of $$$ by selling your aftermarket goodies when you return your car back to stock for max resale value.

You are prpbably also going to want a 2.9L once you get a 2012 and I'd much rather have a base 2012 with a 2.9L Whipple then a loaded 2012 with the stock or pullied Eaton.

Last edited:

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Traded my '07 for the '12...still have my '08. I really like the advancements on the 12, the interior and the mean front end. Still much prefer the rear of the '08 and the overall throwback look. Both are great in their own right.

Users who are viewing this thread