Those who've switched from 2007-2009 GT500 to 2011-2012 GT500

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
True that you hit that one on the spot! The front of the 10'-12's look wicked looking just dont like the ass end of them.

I agree the over all look of the 07-09 looks better but the 11-12 front end looks sick. Also the 2011-2012 are light on there feet.

I have seen a few new base 2012's going for $47k right now but I know you want the PP, NAV and Recaro's but that seems to be the extra money that's breaking your camels back.

Yes those options are nice and after a year of owning them yes I could live without those options when I drive my GT500 and be 95% as happy and no way would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't afford it loaded :-D

Since we're dreaming here are you wanting the glass roof option also? and I know you could make a ton of $$$ by selling your aftermarket goodies when you return your car back to stock for max resale value.

You are prpbably also going to want a 2.9L once you get a 2012 and I'd much rather have a base 2012 with a 2.9L Whipple then a loaded 2012 with the stock or pullied Eaton.

Here is my problem. Getting a base 2012 is a down grade for me. I have a full option 2008 an I've drove a non pp an I'm not impressed. It's like starting all over. I want all options other than glass roof. I really like the new nav an new seats. Also the pp is like my frpp handling pack looks good an still rides good. So for me its not worth. Getting the 2012. It's 11k more than i.paid for my 2008 brand new.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Except the 2011-2012 already comes with different cams...Most people/ shops are saying that the new cams are Ford GT Supercar cams.

I've never seen this documented - anywhere. Beyond standard internet forum fanfare, I'd like to have seen specific mention of the changes to the cam specs from Ford. Not just a different part number (if it is) but lift, duration, etc. Until I see it, sorry, but I wince.

The 07-09 was a great car no doubt about it but as with everything the car keeps evolving and keeps getting better and better in all aspects. Night and day difference between the two. I expect Ford to continue this trend and the next one will be even better which is amazing because the car as very little to complain about now.

Crazy if you think about it, but I think the designers at Ford are that good. By that I mean that I think they planned on the "clean-sheet" design in advance of what would then be the nastier, more angular look of the S197 to follow in 2010. Think about it, it couldn't have gone the other way. The '07-'09 model looks too milquetoast in comparison.

Having owned both, I like the new body much better than the old, and that includes the rear end. The 07-09 cars look stodgy and dated to me now. YMMV.

They do indeed look dated. Soon the '10 -? body will look dated as well, only "newer dated" if you will. I agree with the body of your point of view though - the newer style car is an advancement over the previous. Sleeker body, sumptuous interior, high(er) tech audio system, and improved engine performance.

Traded my '07 for the '12...still have my '08. I really like the advancements on the 12, the interior and the mean front end. Still much prefer the rear of the '08 and the overall throwback look. Both are great in their own right.

The '07-'09 rear end treatment evokes similar emotions to that of a clean '57 chevy driving down the road. Apple pie Americana at its finest. But when parked next to a 2010 or newer, my eyes are quickly drawn to the sexier and more defined lines of Ford's latest. Kind of like June Cleaver standing next to Sophia Vergara, for me anyway.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I agree the 2011-2012 is a more advanced car. But for me, since I'm buying my first GT500 in Jan. or Feb., I don't think a 2011-2012 is worth the extra 15k above what I can get an 07-08 for.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
stock for stock performance the 12 feels light years ahead of my 08. as said the appearance is subjective and i too was skeptical in the beginning but now love the car and i agree with the older model looking dated. the creature comforts and total interior is amazing to me. the price is steep however each body change i think will have a harder to swallow price tag:shrug: i do not regret getting back into a shelby in the form of the newer model.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Time to update the sig....GT500, the Vantage replacement that replaced the first pig
banana.gif

big_ole_truck

Established Member
While I never owned a '07-'09 Shelby, it's very hard to overlook the performance enhancements Ford made to the Shelby GT500 for the 2011 cars and newer.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
i really like the 2012 with all the options but not willing to pay 57k to get one.

This! I drove a 2012 with electronics package and Recaros. It was awesome, but to take almost $60k out of the bank is downright painful when you think about how you could use that money to invest or start another business.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Had an 07 GT and was in love with it. Was a mid 12 second daily driver with bolt ons. Did not like the rearend of the '10+ at first, but it grew on me and now I can not see going back. The 07-09 body style, like others have stated, looks "dated".

The purchase of my 2010 GT500 was one of the best decisions and is far and above (interior, exterior, and overall quality) than my 07. But again these are all opinions

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Does anyone really expect someone who took a huge depreciation hit and then paid an additional 10-12 grand to say they regret their decision?

But, the main reason to not get a new Shelby is they no longer make them in Alloy! Ahahahahah.

Still, I may buy a used garage queen one day - for the right price.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Does anyone really expect someone who took a huge depreciation hit and then paid an additional 10-12 grand to say they regret their decision?

But, the main reason to not get a new Shelby is they no longer make them in Alloy! Ahahahahah.

Still, I may buy a used garage queen one day - for the right price.

Alloy is the shit cause it was a 1 yr color for the gt500

mgmustang1

Established Member
2010s are the best car out there.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1, The money I saved buying a 2010 leftover I could put a tvs and still have money leftover from buying a 11-12! 2010 w/TVS or 11-12- I picked the 1st option.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
seeing as how this is turning to a color thing, white stripe delete FTW! you know i mean it because i rarely use capital letters!!!!

mgmustang1

Established Member
I cant get past the rear end or Id have a 2011 right now! JMHO

So you don't like the led taillights or the bigger spoiler with the gurney flap? Or how about the front, doesn't it look mean? How about the Big Nav screen and the suede seats and steering wheel?

All of the things I mentioned was enough for me to overlook the new rear, but it grew on me and I'm very happy with my 2010 purchase. I went to look at a black w/red stripe package 08 and the interior seemed dated not like the 10+. But you can have a very nice 07-09 for alot less now. depends on what you want to spend and can afford. not everyone can afford a 50k Shelby and put it aside with another dd. I could have gotten an 11 but would have paid alot more. It might be a better motor but couldn't justify the price difference because its aluminum but then again didn't stop the iron block termi's did it?

It's not my termi but it's fast enough for cruising around town and if a camaro comes up to me, I know he's toast!

Users who are viewing this thread