Tiger Racing Hood question if anyone has it

wildaries83

Established Member
I am curious to water getting into the engine bay. I am wondering if anyone has this hood and has had the car in the rain and drove in the rain. Did it hurt anything, did it get into intake if you have after market intake?

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
not mine, but here is a pic of one. It doesnt look to rain friendly.
image-3442978823.jpg

wildaries83

Established Member
They definitely do not look rain friendly, however I could see it staying away from intake and not really affecting anything. I wonder, I definitely like the look and it seems very functional. However, my stang is a daily driver.

reakhavok

I have the hood on my '12 Boss. I try to keep it out of the rain, but I have been caught out in a couple of heavy down pours. I do have the stock intake, and have had no issues. Little extra work when detailing the engine bay, but thats about it.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Like ReakHavok said, it makes for a little extra work detailing but I've had no other problems. I too try to keep mine out of the rain but got caught this week with it being rained on in the parking lot all day with no ill effects afterwards. When I wash mine, I pop the hood and through a waffle weave microfiber towel over the engine. When I'm done washing it, I use that towel to dry off anything that got wet and detail the engine a little.

I would think long and hard about an open element air filter when driving in the rain, you have the potential to suck in a LOT of water. I don't plan to change out the CAI on mine.

Jason

797C0628-X2.jpg

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
Knock on wood I haven't been caught in the rain, but have been trying to think of something to prevent the rain. I want to make what this guy did below.

IMG_2219.jpg

Teej281

Established Member
Looks sexy! And tiger racing hoods are functional too! And I don't see why it would be a problem with water in the intake if you just seal off the box and/or have a drain for water when it sits out, you should be fine!

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
I can see my JLT air filter in the first 2 drivers side louvers. When the car is moving air is coming out, but when standing still the rain will go right on the filter.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I would think long and hard about an open element air filter when driving in the rain, you have the potential to suck in a LOT of water. I don't plan to change out the CAI on mine.
I can see my JLT air filter in the first 2 drivers side louvers. When the car is moving air is coming out, but when standing still the rain will go right on the filter.
you're not gonna suck water through the filter unless it's fully submerged. it's more difficult to pull water through the filter than it is to pull air through it, and as long as there are parts of the element that aren't in water the engine will continue pulling air through there instead of pulling the water through the element.

Shame there isnt a sealed copy of the hood. Kinda like the 2000r hood.
a poser hood? :xpl:

Last edited:

Griever423

Established Member
I keep seeing this hood and I want to get one in the future. Tiger Racing seems to only have a FB page that I can find. Do I need to just call them to get a quote?

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
you're not gonna suck water through the filter unless it's fully submerged. it's more difficult to pull water through the filter than it is to pull air through it, and as long as there are parts of the element that aren't in water the engine will continue pulling air through there instead of pulling the water through the element.

a poser hood? :xpl:

The water that runs off the hood when I wash it completely soaks the top of my CAI box. Not a chance I'd be willing to take with an open element CAI.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Just buy a pre filter cover like what is used on atvs and dirt bikes. They are water resistant and repel water away from directly contacting the filter element.

keoni1984

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Tiger makes a rain catch setup that attaches under the louvers, but it obstructs a lot of the airflow, IIRC. I'm just glad I live in Arizona.. it hardly rains here. Mine should be arriving on Monday :-D

Users who are viewing this thread