Tiling Project Advice

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I am posting hoping that some of you guys with experience in tiling over a concrete slab can give me some advice on my project.

I am a newb to tile. I have bought 16x16 tiles to use on the ground floor of my 16 year old split foyer home. After taking up the carpet I found what you see in the pictures below.

These pictures were taken right after I finished washing the floor. There is not a moisture problem.

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

This last one is the one that I have a question about.

IMG_1767.jpg

Can I still install the tile? Will it be necessary to use an underlayment such as Ditra? Or should I just forget it and put down some carpet.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If the floor is level you can use mortar to overcome those settling cracks. Those cracks are typical of slabs. However, if your cracks are more than 1/16" you need to repair them first before using mortar/thinset to tile.

If you are going to use a self leveling concrete to overcome the floor being out of level, then make sure you prepare the old concrete to take the new surface. Most people use some type of etch on the old concrete.

Good luck.

For novices I recommend diynetwork.com

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Is there a tool to do the etching or should I use some type of chemical?

etching is a chemical process

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-238475-EPOXYShield-Concrete-Etch/dp/B0012YIZ28]Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 238475 EPOXYShield Concrete Etch: Home Improvement[/ame]

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I tiled over a painted concrete floor in my mothers basement when putting in a full bath. No prep work was done, and it is still looks good with no loose tiles after 10 years.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Also be aware that the etching chemical is pretty strong, so use it cautiously since it appears this room is a main living area. You will also need to thoroughly flush the chemical once the etching process is complete.

For those who might have a slight/possible water seepage issue, Home Depot and Lowes sell an underlayment product called DriCore. You'd have to prep/level/seal the concrete surface before you use the DriCore, of course, but it is a great product IF you are concerned about even a slight amount of water since the water won't touch your flooring unless it is substantial. I was going to use the DriCore in my new shop area but as it turns out it isn't necessary in my situation. I instead used UGL sealant paint with traditional moisture barrier and foam underlayment.

Users who are viewing this thread