Time for a new wahser and dryer....any suggestions?

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
Well my current dryer takes two cycles to dry anything so its time for it to go. Also since the wifey and I have a baby on the way we are deciding to go ahead and replace the wash machine as well.

We like the "look" of front loaders but we are open minded. Of course were looking that's not going to break the bank but something that will last for plenty of years.

Any suggestions? :shrug:

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Finding myself in the same situation last year, I was ready upgrade to front loaders. Before pulling the trigger, I took out the heating element, found a replacement on ebay for $33, ordered on Saturday and received it on Monday. All was back to normal in 3 days time. Unless you really want to upgrade, you might save yourself a couple of thousand.

olefafl

Established Member
Clean the lint out of it before you burn down your house.

My MIL got a nice used washer and dryer free because the old owners thought something was burned out on the dryer, turned out it was just full of lint. It took about an hour to clean it out, and she has a working set.

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
Finding myself in the same situation last year, I was ready upgrade to front loaders. Before pulling the trigger, I took out the heating element, found a replacement on ebay for $33, ordered on Saturday and received it on Monday. All was back to normal in 3 days time. Unless you really want to upgrade, you might save yourself a couple of thousand.

Already have done that once before, I think I want to upgrade. No telling how old the dryer is but I know its atleast 15 years old

Clean the lint out of it before you burn down your house.

My MIL got a nice used washer and dryer free because the old owners thought something was burned out on the dryer, turned out it was just full of lint. It took about an hour to clean it out, and she has a working set.

Yeah I have to do that for sure, funny how some people are oblivious to some things

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
LG Tromm Steamwasher/Dryer here. best investment I ever made... I take everything I own, throw it in in one load, no seperating, like men should do laundry, and never ruin a thing. brand new red shirt with whites, red is red, whites are white.. No bs.

I would be a walking advertisement for LG based on my experience with them..

snakeconvert98

Established Member
Got a pair of Samsung VRT front loaders here,,,best money ever spent inside my house,,,had them a year & a half now no complaints other than you have to use detergent for HE front loaders only!!!!! Not a lot of options around here on brands,,but we only use tide anyway!!

Make sure you get the pedestools also, you won't regret it unless your going to stack them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We have a Whirlpool dryer and a Maytag Neptune washer. Very satisfied with both although the previous model Neptunes are prone to mildew due to the poor design of the washer door.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
We like our Fischer and Paykel. I wish my engine could handle the rpms that this thing does during the spin cycle haha. Our clothes come out almost dry, saving us energy on our drying time

chrisheltra

Established Member
They haven't invented one machine that could do both yet?

Imagine having two washer/drier combos in the same space a conventional washer and dryer would consume.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Another +1 for the LG's.

I would stay away from whirlpool and anything kenmore.

I bought my LG front loaders two years ago and they are still like brand new and I haven't had a problem.

I would not get a steam washer though... they seem overpriced and it just another thing to break on them.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Before you buy, I suggest removing the vent and running one load without it attached. Most "long drying time" complaints are vent related.

I like the Whirlpool product line at this time. As stated previously, stay away from GE laundry products. LG and Samsung have made nice pieces to compete, but look into service costs. We charge extra for any import for a variety of reasons. (I have had an appliance repair business for almost 20 years).

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread