Time to drop the car.. what is really needed?

Badlilstang

Established Member
1" isnt much.. Im just hoping hte tire has room to go up into the fender! I saw a guy running Steed Sports with same tires size as me and the BMR show 1" front 1.25" rear like the Steeda but BMR still calls it a 1.5" drop? My whole reason for going with the Steeda was I thought it might not be as much of a drop as the BMR.

Ninja Edit.. I like the stance of your car. Looks good with the Brembos!

Badlilstang

Established Member
Don't forget the adjustable upper control arm to set the pinion angle. That and the panhard bar plus and alignment should get you going.

Can setting the pinion angle be done later? Would using a P spring mean I would not have to reset pinion angle since the drop is square?

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
You don't need new strut mounts, just be careful.
I just did bmr springs,bmr adjustable panhard and cam bolts....done. On stock struts/shocks it rides about the same as stock.

SirJAG

Established Member
BMR springs here...dropped 1.5 in rear and about 1.25 in the front.

reused all stock hardware...you absolutly do not "HAVE" to get new mounts, phb, or bolts...

all i needed was an alignment done, my toe was in the red after dropping...

do i want a phb, yes...mounts...not really...

your experience may vary. if it were me to do over again, i would do the same...drop the car and see how it feels, then adjust as needed...good luck....i assume your doing it yourself?

it was the funnest thing i have done on my car so far..learned a lot

JAG

SirJAG

Established Member
how long did that take you dirty? i didnt get that full drop till around 3000 miles....

Badlilstang

Established Member
BMR springs here...dropped 1.5 in rear and about 1.25 in the front.

reused all stock hardware...you absolutly do not "HAVE" to get new mounts, phb, or bolts...

all i needed was an alignment done, my toe was in the red after dropping...

do i want a phb, yes...mounts...not really...

your experience may vary. if it were me to do over again, i would do the same...drop the car and see how it feels, then adjust as needed...good luck....i assume your doing it yourself?

it was the funnest thing i have done on my car so far..learned a lot

JAG

I have lowered many stangs 95 and older as well as a lot of show trucks. These newer stangs are just new to me. I planned on doing it my self. I thought hte panhard was a must to center the rear end back up?

20redfire03

Established Member
I'll be lowering my car with BMR Springs once I get all my parts. Currently, I am going to be installing BMR Springs, PHB, reclocation brackets, Strange Shocks (S6008LMS) and Struts (S6009LM), GT500 mounts, and maybe UCA w/ mount and LCA but I haven't decided if I want to do those yet. Maybe BMR will have a sale soon so I can get a set.

SirJAG

Established Member
I have lowered many stangs 95 and older as well as a lot of show trucks. These newer stangs are just new to me. I planned on doing it my self. I thought hte panhard was a must to center the rear end back up?

Some cars look to need it more than others. I am running 275s on all corners and the offset is not noticeable to me. It's not required but it will center you up

todcp

Established Member
I keep reading different things are needed. I plan on doing the Steeda Sport because I want a mild drop. I chose it over the P springs because I want the backend to settle down a little bit for a more level look. I know I will need a panhard bar to re-center the rearend. What else is a must? I read I need new FRPP GT500 strut tower mounts? New struts? I heard the rubber bump stops need to be replaced? Not sure what all is a must on a mild drop?

If you go with the Steeda Sport it is only a one inch drop up front. Great way to go. I think you will still be in spec for camber. Camber bolts are not a great idea in my opinion. Go for adjustable camber plates if you need them but I doubt you will need them. Contact Sam Strano at stranoparts or contact Steeda and I believe they will tell you the same. Replace the strut mounts for sure. You don't mention shocks/struts? Go with Koni SR.t. Don't buy the adjustable PHB until you have the new suspension in and get a look at how far off the axle center is. You may not need it and you can add it at any time.

My car is Steeda Boss 302 springs which are very close to the drop of the Sports. 7/8 front and 1.4 rear.

a>

Last edited:

Badlilstang

Established Member
My local guys said Springs and Panhard and I will be fine. They said with how new the car is they think the strut mounts will be fine. He said they have yet to mess any up during a spring swap. Now comes the fun part.. talking the wife into it! I see a lot of wine and foot rubs in my future!

todcp

Established Member
If you are keeping stock shocks and struts be mindful of the springs your choose. The stock dampers are weak and will not behave well with springs with too high a rate. The Steeda Sports are probably not going to work well. BMR seems to be best with stock dampers.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I personally think these cars look best slammed this 1" malarkey is blasphemy. Honestly though, while you're there and have it all apart do it right. Suspension isn't something you want to cut corners with.

I personally went with H&R Super Sports, 1.7" Front 2.4" rear, Tokico D-Specs adjustable struts and shocks, GT500 strut mounts, J&M Adjustable Panhard bar, J&M Lower Control arms, JPC adjustable upper control arm, BMR lower control arm relocation brackets. I had no problems getting into spec w/o camber bolts.

FYI 295/30/R20 in rear on 10" wheel. No rubbing.

Last edited:

ccd_1606

Established Member
I put FRPP struts and shocks along with Ford K springs. I used new strut mounts and put in an adjustable pan-hard bar. Got it aligned and it was in spec didn't need camber bolts. Main reason I got mounts was so that I didn't have to dissemble the factory stuff.

Action Bronson

Established Member
Anyone running BMR springs with Koni Yellows? The stance looks perfect with those springs buy I've read that koni's will give an additional 1/4" drop on the fronts. Not sure if 1 1/4" from the bmr's plus the extra 1/4" from the koni's will be too low for the front.

Badlilstang

Established Member
If you are keeping stock shocks and struts be mindful of the springs your choose. The stock dampers are weak and will not behave well with springs with too high a rate. The Steeda Sports are probably not going to work well. BMR seems to be best with stock dampers.

Thanks for that info.. I am leaning towards the BMR and a BMR panhard for now. Later on ill get some more goodies. Right now I have to live with what the wife will approve of. She knows I will go mod crazy so she attempts to limit me.

Users who are viewing this thread