Tips for a track newbie?

SBVERT03

Established Member
Unfortunately it turned out that the track did not have an open test n tune night this week due to another event going on.

I put a shorter belt back on the car, and drained the antifreeze out of the intercooler system and replaced it with distilled water and some water wetter.

I also finally decided to order some dual Aeroforce Interceptors to use with my SOS pillar. I'm hoping they get here before my next trip to the track so I can monitor IAT2's and maybe even utilize the shift light feature.

I know that this information is dependent on your tune, but is there a general range where IAT/IAT2 should be before timing is pulled?

I've been looking all over for my dyno sheet to try to get an idea on where to set my shift light, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any recommendations on where to set it to start out with?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Unfortunately it turned out that the track did not have an open test n tune night this week due to another event going on.

I put a shorter belt back on the car, and drained the antifreeze out of the intercooler system and replaced it with distilled water and some water wetter.

I also finally decided to order some dual Aeroforce Interceptors to use with my SOS pillar. I'm hoping they get here before my next trip to the track so I can monitor IAT2's and maybe even utilize the shift light feature.

I know that this information is dependent on your tune, but is there a general range where IAT/IAT2 should be before timing is pulled?

I've been looking all over for my dyno sheet to try to get an idea on where to set my shift light, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any recommendations on where to set it to start out with?

If you're going to be draining the water and adding ice as you should at the track. The water wetter might have been in vain. And not sure about the timing but I think around 160° it pulls timing? It's dependent on your tuner. And I shift it at 6500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITSTOCK

Established Member

The dyno is really important if you don't have enough time to do a lot of test hits. I make peak power at 6500rpms with my 2.3 whipple, so I shift at 6700.

The timing table is going to be dependent upon the tune. I don't have any timing being pulled until 130* IAT2 where it then progresses, where as a stock timing table progressively pulls timing starting at 100*IAT2.

If you aren't running an ice box or killer chiller setup, you are going to need substantial cool down time to get the IAT's down for the next run.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Finally got to go back to the track tonight. It was about 80 degrees and muggy so I wasn't expecting awesome times, but I was still hoping to do better than I did.

There weren't many people there so the wait time between runs was pretty short. It was nice not to have to wait forever, but I know it definitely affected my cooling.

I got my aeroforce interceptors installed last week so I was monitoring my charge temps. After the hour long drive there they were near 150. I used ice in the IC reservoir and jumped the pump. Before my first (and best) run it was about 125 degrees. Despite jumping the pump and icing between runs it was usually around 130 when I was in the staging lanes.

60' - 1.801
330 - 4.882
1/8 - 7.463
MPH - 97.44
1000 - 9.615
ET - 11.449
MPH - 123.50

I got my 60' down to an 1.7 in some other passes but still ran in the 11.4-11.5 range. I tried launching the car around 5000 rpm but I'm pretty sure I spun some. The 123.50 was my fastest trap. I'm still not sure why my trap speed is so low. I was told my clutch was slipping some on the dyno when the car was tuned about 3 years ago. However it's not like I smell it after making a pass. I've also tried nailing the throttle while cruising at a slower speed in 4th and the RPM's seem to rise only slightly faster than the MPH.

I'm considering trying to get the car back on a dyno to see if the power is still all there, or just going ahead and putting in a new clutch.

Rambro

Established Member
Yeah something is going on. How did iat's get that high just cruising to the track? 150 is big blower territory. Maybe the intercooler pump is on its way out?

SBVERT03

Established Member
I'm not sure. Most of the time they were around 35-45 degrees above IAT1's cruising to and from the track. But traffic is really bad on the road the track is off of and so they started rising more, and then I had to wait a while in line to get in to the track.

SBVERT03

Established Member
When I jump the pump it still seems like it's flowing ok. I'll try to take a video of it.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I'm not sure. Most of the time they were around 35-45 degrees above IAT1's cruising to and from the track. But traffic is really bad on the road the track is off of and so they started rising more, and then I had to wait a while in line to get in to the track.

Before my Killer Chiller my IAT2s were usualyl about 30 degrees over IAT1

SBVERT03

Established Member
Here's a quick little video of my IC pump running. I knew it would run after jumping it, but I wanted to see if it was coming on by itself so this is after letting the car idle for a couple minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe stock, timing is pulled north of 110 iat2. Its been years since I looked since on e85 its not a problem.

SBVERT03

Established Member
I believe stock, timing is pulled north of 110 iat2. Its been years since I looked since on e85 its not a problem.

Hmm. Well I was definitely above that the entire time I was there. I have no idea why my temps are so high if my pump seems to be working fine. I'm kind of at a loss right now.

What should I try next? Data log? Compression check to make sure it's not the motor? Get the car on a dyno?

Thanks for all the help guys.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Hmm. Well I was definitely above that the entire time I was there. I have no idea why my temps are so high if my pump seems to be working fine. I'm kind of at a loss right now.

What should I try next? Data log? Compression check to make sure it's not the motor? Get the car on a dyno?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Phase 1, E85. Phase 3, 10 second time slip!!

SBVERT03

Established Member
Phase 1, E85. Phase 3, 10 second time slip!!

Lmao e85 may very well be in my future. I just really wish I could get the car closer to its potential on 93. I know my driving is going to keep holding it back until I get more seat time, but I wish I could at least get my trap speed up. Lol.

cj428mach

Established Member
As the other guys have said IAT2 is usually 20-30 degrees warmer than ambient temps. I haven't seen what your ambient temp was when you were getting your high IAT2's.

In Kansas the hottest it really gets is 105 ish and on the worst IAT2 I've ever seen was around 128-132 at cruise on the highway.

SBVERT03

Established Member
As the other guys have said IAT2 is usually 20-30 degrees warmer than ambient temps. I haven't seen what your ambient temp was when you were getting your high IAT2's.

In Kansas the hottest it really gets is 105 ish and on the worst IAT2 I've ever seen was around 128-132 at cruise on the highway.

Yeah they were higher than that. IAT1's got up to around 90-100, i'm guessing from the car sitting still so long in traffic and then they never really came down much at the track. I just don't really know why my temperatures are so high if my pump seems to be functioning ok. I might try flushing the system out to see if there's some kind of blockage?

Although I'm starting to wonder if I just needed to allow the car to cool down longer between runs and use more ice. With so few people at the track it was tempting to get as many runs in as quickly as I could. I wonder if I had skipped a round if that would have helped. With my charge temps the way they were, do my times seem reasonable?

Last edited:

ITSTOCK

Established Member
So you drove to the track, sat in traffic, then sat in the staging lines, then raced, with no ice?

You need to be putting ice in there. Arrive at track, drain tank. Fill with ice, cycle through until all the ice is melted and the water is cool to the touch. You might have to do this a couple times depending on the IAT's. Put in fresh ice. Go stage. Race. Rinse and repeat for each run.

SBVERT03

Established Member
No I used ice when I got there, but I only filled the tank up once. I should have done more cycles because I only got the IAT2's down from ~150 to ~125 before my first run. I got overly excited when I saw so few cars there and decided to make a pass. I also only brought I believe an 8lb bag of ice and about 25 small cups with water frozen in them and I was trying to ration it between my runs. I now realize this is nowhere near enough and I should have brought 3 or 4 bags at least.

This has been quite the learning experience. Lol

Rambro

Established Member
It's a whole orchestra with these cars and heat soak
True. I'm really hoping that Malcolm's gt500 HE/trunk tank shows good results. I've heard of too many issues with the killer chiller and the factory style setup is useless on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread