Tire Blow-out

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
My wife is driving home from a day of shopping cursing on 280 at about 65mph and she gets a blow out. She said the car didn’t do anything weird or un-safe so she calmly pulls the car off the freeway and down an off ramp were its safe. She then calls me and tells me the ordeal and everything is ok. She explained the only thing bad was she had to drive on the rim for quite some time to get off the freeway safely and she thinks the rim is toast. I told her no problem, your safety is more important than the rim. I offer to call AAA to have the tire changed for her and she says no, Ill do it. So, I explained be carefull, the tools Ford gives you are the bare minimum to do the job. Take your time. 15min later she calls me back and says, the tire is changed. Do you want me to bring the tire home? I thought, she’s talking about the rim.. I say yes bring it home. So, 20 mins later she arrives home. She pops the trunk and first pulls out the rim.

tire2.jpg

When I saw that, I thought,, ohh my.. Then she pulls out the tire.. I was beside myself. So, I had her explain it to me again.. Your tire did this at 65mph and you drove the car how far?

tire1.jpg

So the next surprise was the rim. Very little damage, as a matter of fact I can fix it. A little filing and some high speed polishing, you’ll never see any of the marks. Most of the marks actually will be hidden when the new tire is mounted. Least to say, I’m very happy my wife made it home safely and the car is ok.

tire3.jpg

I got to say, this is embarrassing to drive home like this. But hey, it did the job. Which reminds me.. It looks a little low on air. You might want to check yours as well

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Wow what a story! I'm glad to hear the wife wasn't injured.:thumbsup: One thing that should be noted is you driving the car with the spare on the rear. With 2 different wheel sizes I believe it will cause a major problem with your rear. One tire will be spinning at a faster rate than the others which may cause damage to the rear and/or it's internals. I'm almost positive of this but you may want to double check with someone a bit more knowlegable. Just a heads up warning so you don't harm anything costly back there.;-)

Razor.:beer:

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Yea, Im aware of that of the 2 tires size differences. I told my wife to drive it home slow. I've compared the 2 before and its barely a 1/2" difference. 35 series vers 45.

snkbit99

Established Member
hello all
Thats good that your wife is ok. What brand of tire was on the car? I had that happen to me last Friday. Really sucks. But my tire didn't shred as bad. The tire was only a little over a year old and had 8000 miles on it. I am running Nitto Nt555 Extremes. Has anyone else had a problem with these tires?
Thanks
ED

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Yea, thats the same tire I have. I don't think it was a bad tire. I think it could of been a few ideas. Low on air and driven for too long, causing the side walls to weaken. Or an object struck the tire. I notice a huge gash in the tread. But that could of been the rim riding on it. Who knows really. I check the tires reguarly for pressure and they do drop down in pressure over 6 to 8 months. 4 or 5 psi. Can you believe Steeda want $310 each for that tire. Found them at a local dealer for $210. There a nice tire, but not no $310 tire IMO

Users who are viewing this thread