Tire pressure?

IwishIwasfast

Established Member
Just got a new set of shoes for the L. Goodyear Eagle all around. Specs on gas door say something like 30 or 32 PSI. Tire shop put them on at about 41/42 PSI. What PSI is everyone running, or should I be running?

unclemole

Established Member
Tire shops always do that, they want to make sure the beads seats correctly. If you have the stock size F1's you should run the pressure indicated on the door, 32 psi cold. Some people do otherwise because they know better than the engineers at Ford and Goodyear.:bash:

castellscl

Established Member
Bringing this thread, back by search function.

I've got Nitto 555's not DR's and wondered what everyone runs these at? Same as stock 32 psi?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
To maximize tread life I suggest everyone use the chalk method to determine what PSI to run. I used this method when I bought my Nittos in February 2007 and my tread wear had a maximum tread depth variance of 1/64" across the tread of all four tires the last time I measured. I've never had such even tread wear on a set of tires.

To do this just draw a line across the entire contact patch of the tire with chalk then slowly drive the truck back and forth in a straight line. As the chalk rolls against the ground it will rub off slightly. Ideally the chalk line should show wear evenly across the entire tread... if its darker in the center the tire is under-inflated and if its draker on the outter edge its over-inflated. Adjust PSI accordingly till the chalk line wears evenly. I recommend carrying a tire pressure gauge in the glove box that you always use to eliminate inaccurate readings from various gauges at gas stations, etc.

Using this method I was able to determine that 40 PSI in the front tires and 34 PSI in the rears is ideal for my truck. I try to check the tire pressure once a week and try to rotate them every 5,000 (give or take). So far I have squeezed 32,000 miles out of this set of tires and there's still a few thousand before they hit the wear bars. I'm fairly easy on "Belle" but these tires have seen a few smoke shows and they pulled my wife's car from San Diego to San Antonio with a bed full of stuff.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
+1 on the chalk method. And too the one who made the comment about being smarter then the techs who designed them, you have to realize that they also take into consideration ride quality over tire longevity. Remember, they want you to be safe, but they want you to replace your tires. The competitors keep each other in check on the longevity of a tire. The sticker on the inside of the door is a great way be safe, and is a great place to start on the chalk method.

Users who are viewing this thread