Tire question?

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Any problem just putting Michelin PSS,on the rear and leaving the Goodyears up front for the time being,think I read one the members here doing it,any one else doing it,gonna do 20s all around on new wheels at some point in the near future,so I would rather not buy the fronts,got a taste of how the Goodyears can just let go last nite,and like to keep that to a minimum .

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
See, now where getting some where,I know I read it some where on here,what issues might there be,I have mixed tires before but never on such a high hp machine,this will just be short term and it will just be street driving

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
See, now where getting some where,I know I read it some where on here,what issues might there be,I have mixed tires before but never on such a high hp machine,this will just be short term and it will just be street driving

Mismatched tires changes handling characteristics.

Why what were you thinkin about doing this?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The tires are designed differently. Look at the tread pattern of the goodyears then the Michelins and you will see. If you are keeping the stock wheels, use the stock sizes for tires. The michelins run a bit wider anyway. Or if you are going 20's then do 265/35/20 and 285/35/20 PSS's. Then sell me the rear goodyears for cheap, because I will use them on the road course where they belong. :beer:

ponygirl06

Established Member
The tires are designed differently. Look at the tread pattern of the goodyears then the Michelins and you will see. If you are keeping the stock wheels, use the stock sizes for tires. The michelins run a bit wider anyway. Or if you are going 20's then do 265/35/20 and 285/35/20 PSS's. Then sell me the rear goodyears for cheap, because I will use them on the road course where they belong. :beer:

How cheap? I took mine off with a little over 200 miles on them?

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
While not ideal, I've done it several times over the years on different Mustangs. Never had an issue. Don't use different brands on the same axle.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
It will work fine, look at how many run drag radials in the rear and stockers up front.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Ok thanks for the input,I will try it but I will be cautious ,and if it acts squerly I will get the fronts

sftdyna

Established Member
I have found that the shelby has an awful lot of understeer with those goodyears on the front! My car plows during any tight turn and im hoping the super sports will correct that situation as its a rather uncomfortable feeling. My saleen extreme was basically a neutral steering car and when pushed hard would oversteer so i was shocked when my shelby let go at moderate speeds. you need to dump those goodyears front and rear.

GT500662

Established Member
Personally I would not mismatch the tires. Mainly for appearance reasons. These are expensive cars and it is not what you would expect to see, but it is yours. I would drive on the GDY until I could swing all 4 tires. Trust me it will feel like a different car once you change over to MPSS. It will feel like you have a new car all over again. Don't rob yourself of the full experience.

BOD89LX

Established Member
It will work fine, look at how many run drag radials in the rear and stockers up front.

I ran drag radials on mine for 1000 of the 2000 miles I put on the car and there is no problem with mixing brands so tires on these cars. BTW I just put the PSS on all four corners of mine and they are very nice tires and I have also had the drag radials on with the PSS up front.

Users who are viewing this thread