Tire rotation - PS4S

XP900

Established Member
Anyone actually rotate their tires from side to side? I have used nothing but Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer, non directional tires) since the original Goodyears. Backs are new but the fronts have half their tread and wear appears even. I was thinking of rotating while they were off but I always thought you shouldn't change the rotational direction of a radial once it has been driven for a while.

Bad Company

Established Member
You can change the direction of rotation on a radial tire without any issues. In fact it may actual help you achieve a longer life cycle of them. Now this is if you're driving the car enough miles to wear them out before there too old. Tires older than 5-6 years should be replaced regardless of tread left on a performance sportscar. The rubber compounds of the tire degrade with age, especially if the car sits outside in the sunlight. High speed driving adds addition high temperature heat cycles to the tire over its life time causing degradation also. You'd hate to have an old tire fail at a triple digit speed on a deserted road while having a little fun

jayames

Established Member
I have fairly new 4S tires all the way around (staggered). I was thinking about rotating the fronts side to side (dismount and reinstall them) when I notice inside wear.

XP900

Established Member
I have fairly new 4S tires all the way around (staggered). I was thinking about rotating the fronts side to side (dismount and reinstall them) when I notice inside wear.
If the 4S are the summer only version and not the all season (not sure about them) you can swap from side to side but the insides would still be on the inside after the swap. The summer high performance 4S can only be mounted one way so you can't swap it over the rim. The all season may be different...never owned a pair yet.

Users who are viewing this thread