TMI Termi Seat How-to

svtcobralover

Established Member
After seeing everyone's questions regarding TMI Products Terminator interior upgrade, I figured I would write a how-to on the install. In the past, I had purchased two used set of Terminator seats for my other cars, and the one thing that always bothered me is the seats had wear on them. If I'm going to pay top dollar for used seats, I wanted them in pristine condition.
Well after purchasing my current 98 Cobra, I knew I wanted to do the swap, but wanted to do it right this time. I contacted TMI and pulled the trigger on a full set of their upholstery and seat foam. At the time I had to purchase a set of 99-04 seat frames to use from a junkyard. My 98 Cobra seat frames would not work. (This has since been fixed by TMI and any 94-04 seat frame can be used.)

Now I'll take you through the install.
Here's what my stock interior looked like.
MMFP-01_zps2b008bf8.jpg

This was the end result
MMFP-02_zpsee4010eb.jpg

I first had to purchase a used set of 99-04 seats. I purchased these from MPS Autosalvage.
MMFP-03_zps9a4ddd9b.jpg

I decided to first start with the top half of the drivers seat.
MMFP-05_zps67f85805.jpg

First deatch the J-clip at the bottom of the seat. I used a big flat head screwdriver.
MMFP-06_zps8380afb7.jpg

Since we only need the frames from the donor seats, I used a box cutter to make removal of the upholstery easier.
MMFP-07_zps742d1cf8.jpg

Once the upholstery is peeled back, cut the 3 factory hog rings holding the upholstery in place. (Notice when you remove the upholstery, Ford uses velcroe also to help keep the upholstery molded to the foam.)
MMFP-08_zpsd5905cd1.jpg

Once you have all the upholstery off, simply just lift off the foam from the frame, I just cut the upholstery off so I could show you how to remove the headrest. For the headrest, there is a little black clip. Simply slide a flathead screwdriver into it and twist. This should release the clip.
MMFP-09_zpsc656441d.jpg

Just cut away the old upholstery from the headrest. (It's important to note: TMI does not sell 03-04 Cobra headrest. I bought a set of seats from a 40th Anniversary Mustang GT that has the same headrest. These can be found in 99-04 Cobra, 40th Anniversaries, Mach 1's, and Bullitts.
MMFP-14_zps8087e34b.jpg

MMFP-15_zpsd488147b.jpg

svtcobralover

Established Member
With everything removed, do not install your new headrest yet. Take your new foam and install onto the old frame.
MMFP-11_zpsb57b44d1.jpg

You will need hog ring pliers. There are all sorts of types. Anyone will do. I preferred the one with a slight angle to it.
MMFP-04_zpsf6388127.jpg

Now, feed the old existing listing wire from your donor seats and insert it into the new slot on the new upholstery and crimp it using 3 hog rings to the listing wire in the new foam.
MMFP-12_zps7f41de94.jpg

Then slide your new upholstery onto the foam. I used small plastic bags to help get the upholstery over the bolster (Trust me this will save you a lot of time!!!) Then simply cli[p the J-clip back together. (Another key tip is to let the new upholstery sit outside in the sun for about 30 minutes before you install it. This will allow the leather to become soft and easier to stretch. The upholstery will be very tight. It takes some man muscles!!!)
MMFP-13_zpsef722b08.jpg

Moving on to the bottom of the seat. Remove the seat track.
MMFP-16_zps28e0108a.jpg

Disconnect the J-clip.
MMFP-17_zpsc9b4d8ab.jpg

Cut and remove the old listing wire on both sides of the seat.
MMFP-18_zps08600b04.jpg

MMFP-19_zps8b960e20.jpg

Install the two old listing wires into the new upholstery. On the new upholstery, there will a new slot for a new listing wire. I used a coat hanger to make one. Hog ring the listing wire to the new upholstery.
MMFP-20_zps66019b98.jpg

Install the new upholstery onto the new foam. Before clamping with the J-clamp, trim around the electronics to make room for them.
MMFP-21_zps1e7641d6.jpg

MMFP-22_zpsfae30fd6.jpg

Then use a screwdriver or something straight to puncture a whole for the bolt holes to mount the top half of the seat.
MMFP-24_zps5dd08af8.jpg

Bolt the two pieces together and you're done. The small wrinkles will come out, just let the seats sit out in the sun for a few hours.
MMFP-25_zps038be44b.jpg

Last edited:

svtcobralover

Established Member
To start the rear seats, cut away the old upholstery, similar to how you did the front seats. Remember we just need the seat frame.
MMFP-29_zpse6c7cacc.jpg

Peel off the old upholstery, it comes off fairly easy.
MMFP-30_zpsd3dd13a2.jpg

Here's the seat frame exposed with the old foam. Just remove the old foam.
MMFP-31_zpsd71f4c66.jpg

Install the new foam onto the old seat frame and slide the new upholstery on.
MMFP-32_zps0fc844d5.jpg

Remember to let the upholstery sit in the sun. It will help with stretching it out when you go to tighten and clip it all together. Hooking the J-clip on the new upholstery will be tight. I was able to use the hog ring pliers to pull on the upholstery as a friend helped connect it all together.
MMFP-33_zps2e19e0d4.jpg

Once the upholstery is on, use a small razor to slit a hole where the seat frame bolts to the seat brace. I used a screwdriver to make sure it was all clear of the upholstery.
MMFP-34_zps34c14c07.jpg

Here's what the top half of the rear seat looks like finished.
_MG_1946_zpsd73d13f8.jpg

For the bottom of the rear seat, installation is simple. This is probably the easiest part. Just cut off the old upholstery and remove all the old hog rings from the bottom of the seat.
MMFP-35_zpsa65cc1bc.jpg

MMFP-34_zps34c14c07.jpg

Remove the old listing wire from the old upholstery and place it into the new upholstery.
MMFP-37_zps37e0f4f7.jpg

Then just use 3 hog rings to secure it back into place. The rest of the upholstery is held in by velcroe.
MMFP-38_zps397a125b.jpg

Then hog ring the bottom of the upholstery to the seat foam. You will see a built in wire or metal frame in the seat foam to attach the hog rings to.
_MG_1950_zps9d69bdcd.jpg

Here's the back seat finished.
photo_zps7d9b0ef2.jpg

Now you're done! Here's what mine looked like after.
_MG_2041_zps318975dd.jpg

_MG_2044_zpsbaaee41a.jpg

In case you are attempting to do this with 99-04 seat frames, MPS Auotsalvage sells an adapter harness that plugs right into your factor seat harness and the newer 4-pin harness.
IMG_9260_zps75e86b92.jpg

I always wanted to switch to the 03-04 Cobra center console, so I did this as well during the interior overhaul. I first disassembled the whole console.
_MG_1797_zpsdc084aed.jpg

Using a hard bristled brush and a SEM soap cleaner, i scrubbed the new center console very closely to make sure all the old oils and armor all were off. Once you are through scrubbing the console will look very dry and faded. This is good.
_MG_1801_zps29a5c4cd.jpg

Using the black dye from Latemodel Restoration, I gave my new console about 6 coats. In my opinion, the more coats, the better it looks and gives you a closer match to factory.
_MG_1815_zps809dd855.jpg

Here you can see the difference in color.
_MG_1822_zps1c2b4618.jpg

_MG_1821_zpse6f01e01.jpg

Once I finished, I installed the new console into my Cobra. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it actually installed. But I'm very happy with how it came out.

Hope you all enjoyed it, and can use this information. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Very nice! My 04 seats have similar miles to my 97, but of course there is a bit of wear on the drivers seat. This looks like the solution if I want these seats in the future, you did a great job here but it looks like a lot of work to me.

Tickle

Established Member
Great job! Thanks for the step by step, doesn't seem too bad. Those seats look so good. This will be my next mod after I get my rear end rebuilt.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Good writeup man! Your car is perfect between the interior and exterior!

Users who are viewing this thread