To add lower pulley or not...that is the question....

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
My car is currently stock, but I will be purchasing parts this week. I am definatley doing the tune and upper pulley, but I am debating doing the lower as well. I will likley add the Shelby heat exchanger with dual fans this summer, as well as a TB and ported plenum in the future. That would seem like the recipe for getting good power out of the stock blower, but I know some people are leery of doing both the upper and the lower.
I'm not a quarter mile guy, as I mainly just like to have a fun car to get me where I want to go, and perhaps the occasional fun run or hill country cruise. I am sort of passed the whole meeting up late at night to street race people thing as well, but I would like the most power on the stock blower as possible for when I have the chance encounters with the local Vetts and P-cars.

So what's the verdict? Lower pulley or leave it alone?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I have the vmp upper/tune lower and a few other mods. I have no regrets.

Only thing is you will drive yourself crazy with warm up squeaks unless you get the Thump tensioner. My car squealed/squeaked for 15 minutes when cold when I added the lower.

Thump takes care of that issue though.

Power gains from the lower are totally worth it though

BigDan

Established Member
I am leaning towards it :)
Has anyone else had the squeaking issue with the upper and lower?

Only from members that have an aluminum lower. I'm going 15% ATI steel when the time comes to avoid the squeaking that some members get from using aluminum pulleys.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Only from members that have an aluminum lower. I'm going 15% ATI steel when the time comes to avoid the squeaking that some members get from using aluminum pulleys.

Is there a way around that besides the tensioner? Does the tensioner solve the problem completely? My wife would have my arse if I made this thing have noisy belt every time I started it up, lol.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Is there a way around that besides the tensioner? Does the tensioner solve the problem completely? My wife would have my arse if I made this thing have noisy belt every time I started it up, lol.

I use a 2.6" Metco upper and an Innovators 10% aluminum lower. NO squeak or squeal. Just a buttload of torque.

bj

Jackyl13

Established Member
Have the Aluminum lower with no squeak. Definitely worth it but you will need to think about suspension. I can't hook up in 1st or 2nd and sometimes 3rd. It's kinda scary when you lose your ass at 60 mph.

Alloy Snake

Established Member
No squeaks or chirps from the belt here either-And I have had 3 different superchargers since doing the lower.And I still hook good in second as long as the pavement is fairly warm.

Jackyl13

Established Member
Well I'm doing something wrong because I have a stock blower and the wheels don't stop spinning in 2nd with 70 degree weather ! I'm sure the stock Goodyear's don't help.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Well, I purchased the set up. Now I just need to deicde if I should do it all at once, or wait to install the lower when I get used to it with the upper.

ante

Established Member
do it all at once, saves you $$$ on the tunes. big tq gains with lower. i made 612rwhp with stock manifolds, no cats, borla exh.

bigpappy33

Just a GT
Established Member
do it all at once, saves you $$$ on the tunes. big tq gains with lower. i made 612rwhp with stock manifolds, no cats, borla exh.

With a ported blower?

How much would a lower pulley help on the stock eaton power wise? I know it should add 3-4 lbs of boost... Does that add alot of heat as well?

Gojira

Established Member
I have a stock diameter IW lower. Its aluminum just like there 10%. I've never had a squeaking problem.

breoland

Established Member
Instead of going with the lower and upper and getting a plenum and a throttle body and a tensioner, you could have just bolted on a tvs, and added other stuff as needed when the time came around

Users who are viewing this thread