tonneau cover owners

wudy

Established Member
Im looking at buying a tonneau cover from Cervini. I like the 2 piece because it stows away in the trunk. But i'm not ruling out the 1 piece design. I am also looking at Fords 1 piece soft tonneau that covers the back seat. Any thoughts? Likes or dislikes? Pictures would be GREAT!!! Thanks.:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have the 2 piece Cervinis one, and if I were to do it again, I would just get a 1 piece version. The pieces are so big that they take up the entire trunk, and you can't store them in there if you want to put the top down (there is a warning with them that says they will break the back window!). I also have the Ford soft tonneau, but have never put it on the car, so I can't speak to that. I'm still on the fence about whether I will even keep the Cervinis one at this point. I certainly would swap someone for a 1 piece version like the Saleen one if given the opportunity.

wudy

Established Member
I have the 2 piece Cervinis one, and if I were to do it again, I would just get a 1 piece version. The pieces are so big that they take up the entire trunk, and you can't store them in there if you want to put the top down (there is a warning with them that says they will break the back window!). I also have the Ford soft tonneau, but have never put it on the car, so I can't speak to that. I'm still on the fence about whether I will even keep the Cervinis one at this point. I certainly would swap someone for a 1 piece version like the Saleen one if given the opportunity.

Thanks for your input black10th. I've herd other people say they would prefer the 1 piece instead of the 2pc as well. I just want to make sure I buy the right cover.

black 10th vert

Established Member
You're welcome, just trying to "keep it real".;-) I think "in concept", the 2 piece version sounds great, but once you see how big it is, and how much of a pain it is to put together, take apart, and then stow, you will realize that the 1 piece is just more practical, because you just put it on for cruising, shows, etc., then store it in your garage when you don't want to use it. Much easier to put on, and take off inmo. I think I got all caught up in the idea of having it as an accessory that I could just keep in the trunk for whenever I wanted to put it on, but in reality, it's not as simple as it seems!

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
I have 2 piece Cervini. Only way to put it in trunk is to cut up panel behind well and always keep the top up. The one piece looks cleaner, but if you ever take the car to an out of town show or get caught in the rain you are out of luck unless you have a friend with a truck following. I refuse to cut up my trunk and carry the covers in the back seat when I have to. Rode all the way to Birmingham and back last year with the trunk full of luggage and the back seat full of tonneau cover.

Personally, I want a solid body color cover shaped like the regular boot cover.

Last edited:

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
I have the Saleen one piece and I love it. Once again it is not something that you want to install if you know that is going to rain. I have the MACH1000 stereo system so I can not put anything in my trunk except a single bag of grocery. If I was you I would lean more towards the one piece and use it when cruising or going to car shows. A one piece is a lot easier to install, 1-2-3 operation. Slip it on, hook up the belts, done! Then install the windgaurd if you have it. Make the ride look sweeeet..

Cobrakai04

Established Member
I have the saleen 1 piece also with the windguard. I would never get the 2 piece.

Get the 1 piece!

SpectorV

Established Member
I wouldnt mind one but I have a couple issues, one as talked about above... the single piece you cant put anywhere... so if it rains or you want to put the top up you are out of luck...

Second the issue of does it rub the black trim? I am sure it does over time... both of these make it a pass... I wish someone would make a nice paintable boot for our cars thats removable and can sit in the back seat or something if you want to put the top up.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Here is mine, I have some new weather strip on the underside that prevents the rubbing on the back trim. Yes the one piece is PIA when it rains but I check the weather to see what it is going to be like before I roll out with it.

IMG_0925.gif

black 10th vert

Established Member
Your car looks bada$$!:beer: Definitely makes me wish I had waited, and bought a 1 piece tonneau! Anyone want to trade for a nice 2 pc. Cervini one?

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I also have the 2-piece tonneau covers. I like the look of the 1-piece covers better, but we frequently get a little shower from nowhere in the afternoons here and the 2-piece covers can be taken off and stored in the back seat.

2239501CobraTonneau.jpg

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Coderedsaleen,

I have the 1 piece as well and have been looking for suitable weatherstripping for the underside to prevent damage to the trim pieces. What weatherstripping are you using? I appreciate your help.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have a one piece saleen cover that I made into a custom two piece that stores in the trunk. Most of you guys wouldn't like it though, because it requires some modification of the car. ;-)

DSC_0517.jpg

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
I have a one piece saleen cover that I made into a custom two piece that stores in the trunk. Most of you guys wouldn't like it though, because it requires some modification of the car. ;-)

Racerat - I see that you cut yours around the humps, do you have pics of it separated? How did you paint your light bar, that looks awesome. I would like to paint mine Lazer red.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Coderedsaleen,

I have the 1 piece as well and have been looking for suitable weatherstripping for the underside to prevent damage to the trim pieces. What weatherstripping are you using? I appreciate your help.

I just went to Lowe's / Home Depot and picked up some of that weather stripping for doors/windows the black felt type. Cleaned the underside of the cover by sanding and rubbing alcohol then applied the weather stripping. :beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'd be interested in this as well. If I could find a nice 1 piece unit for a decent price, I would just sell the Cervini's cover I have.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
I'd be interested in this as well. If I could find a nice 1 piece unit for a decent price, I would just sell the Cervini's cover I have.

I found mine on eBay, I paid $295 for it and I was lucky that is was already painted the same color as my car. You can fine them on there you just have to watch. You might be able to get one from Saleen Speedlab as they are called now for around $500. A bit pricey and come unpainted. I would look for a deal on eBay or Craig's list if I was you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread