Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

Tx5.0

Established Member
Some of us M6 guys with 3.73's are barely seeing 10lbs because of belt slip. I have a 3.00 pulley on now and I can barely hit 11 if I'am lucky. I was the same way checking all the piping and moving the hose clamps around. I ordered an 8 rib to see if this solves my issue, too bad it takes like 2 weeks to ship =(.

lshin037

Established Member
Some of us M6 guys with 3.73's are barely seeing 10lbs because of belt slip. I have a 3.00 pulley on now and I can barely hit 11 if I'am lucky. I was the same way checking all the piping and moving the hose clamps around. I ordered an 8 rib to see if this solves my issue, too bad it takes like 2 weeks to ship =(.

Edit: Just read a thread where you said you used track bite and it worked. I'm guessing that's just a temporary solution.

Last edited:

Tx5.0

Established Member
Yes I used it and it did help, but it wears off after a little bit. I got it to 12.5lbs... That's why I ordered the 8 rib set up.

lshin037

Established Member
I'm gonna try using a degreaser and spray all on the belt and pulleys. I'm not sure but I may have gotten some lithium grease on the belt while trying install the pulley on the headunit. I'm gonna try this before using track bite

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm gonna try using a degreaser and spray all on the belt and pulleys. I'm not sure but I may have gotten some lithium grease on the belt while trying install the pulley on the headunit. I'm gonna try this before using track bite

What gears are in your car? Check my thread on this subject.

You are likely experiencing belt slip.

This is it. Motor revs too fast and belt blows right past the pulley. I had my gates green 100" almost bottomed out on the tensioner where I had to walk the belt onto the pulley and mine still slipped.

My steps will be 1. 3.27 gears. 2. 8 rib conversion.

Im excited to hear about your 8 rib. They come with a 3.47 which should be good for 12 psi up top. You should run it just like that without the TQ booster and see how she runs. Should be good for deep 10s/high 9s if everything checks out.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
What gears are in your car? Check my thread on this subject.

You are likely experiencing belt slip.

This is it. Motor revs too fast and belt blows right past the pulley. I had my gates green 100" almost bottomed out on the tensioner where I had to walk the belt onto the pulley and mine still slipped.

My steps will be 1. 3.27 gears. 2. 8 rib conversion.

3.73, M6. Got the Gates 100" belt with tensioner at the limit as well.

Last edited:

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Did I read you cat deleted and never checked boost?

Removing cats could have dropped you 2psi if they were clogged up...

lshin037

Established Member
Did I read you cat deleted and never checked boost?

Removing cats could have dropped you 2psi if they were clogged up...

Yes, sir. I should've checked it. But the car only had 9K miles when I took the cats out so I doubt they were clogged. I'm assuming the majority of people that have a Paxton/vortech with a torque booster kit have deleted their cats and they're getting 9.5-10 psi

Tx5.0

Established Member
I don't even have a tq booster and still only get 10-11 psi. But now I am really wanting to know, are there any M6 3.73 guys making more than 10lbs. I think your are #4 or 5 that's said something about boost issues and belt slip.

lshin037

Established Member
I don't even have a tq booster and still only get 10-11 psi. But now I am really wanting to know, are there any M6 3.73 guys making more than 10lbs. I think your are #4 or 5 that's said something about boost issues and belt slip.

I still gotta try the degreaser and/or track bite but I've been doing some reading and it seems that taking out restrictions on the exhaust (LT, cats, etc...) will lower boost by anywhere between 1-2 psi like FATHERFORD said. I could understand if I was still on the stock setup (3.6 pulley) with just the cats being removed, which would put my boost at 7 or 8, but the 3.33 pulley should put it back to around 10. That's how I understand it anyway.

Last edited:

2012csgt

Established Member
I still gotta try the degreaser and/or track bite but I've been doing some reading and it seems that taking out restrictions on the exhaust (LT, cats, etc...) will lower boost by anywhere between 1-2 psi like FATHERFORD said. I could understand if I was still on the stock setup (3.6 pulley) with just the cats being removed, which would put my boost at 7 or 8, but the 3.33 pulley should put it back to around 10. That's how I understand it anyway.

It could be in the TQ Booster bleeding off boost. You could always take that part out and replace it with the stock piping and go for a ride with the 3.33. You should see prob 12lbs of boost I'd imagine. Maybe take some timing out before you test that.

lshin037

Established Member
It could be in the TQ Booster bleeding off boost. You could always take that part out and replace it with the stock piping and go for a ride with the 3.33. You should see prob 12lbs of boost I'd imagine. Maybe take some timing out before you test that.

I thought about that but, to be honest, im scared. I did change to the 11.6 springs and that got my peak boost up from 7.7 to 8.4. Kinda weird because it shouldn't matter since boost never even reaches 9.7 (stock springs).

lshin037

Established Member
How does everyone's boost pressure compare between cold and warm temps? Same consistent pressure or drop of pressure during the summer months? This is the first summer for this car while I've owned it.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Less/more restrictions(exhaust) and temps will NOT matter with a wg centri setup. It will(should) put out whatever boost the WG is set to. Thats not to say it wont flow better with better exhaust but you will have the same psi due to the lower pulley and WG springs. On a regular centri(non wg setup) I definately saw more boost in the winter.

Edit: OP, you really should throw another gauge on it before you do anything else and make sure that isn't the issue.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Less/more restrictions(exhaust) and temps will NOT matter with a wg centri setup. It will(should) put out whatever boost the WG is set to. Thats not to say it wont flow better with better exhaust but you will have the same psi due to the lower pulley and WG springs. On a regular centri(non wg setup) I definately saw more boost in the winter.

Edit: OP, you really should throw another gauge on it before you do anything else and make sure that isn't the issue.

Good point. Im just trying to think of possibilities. I'll probably get another gauge as a last resort. As mhyjek mentioned earlier, I should be hearing the WG opening but I don't.

lshin037

Established Member
FML.
I tried testing the gauge out with a calibrated manometer and applied pressure but....I broke the damn nipple off the sensor. Things are just not going right for me! I ordered the 2 bar sensor. Will update once installed.

Angry50

Established Member
FML.
I tried testing the gauge out with a calibrated manometer and applied pressure but....I broke the damn nipple off the sensor. Things are just not going right for me! I ordered the 2 bar sensor. Will update once installed.

HEY YOU HAVE BOOST! id be happy with 8lbs as i have 0 lbs lol but i understand wanting it to function properly. good luck hope you get it figured out soon

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Good point. Im just trying to think of possibilities. I'll probably get another gauge as a last resort. As mhyjek mentioned earlier, I should be hearing the WG opening but I don't.

I can't hear the WG over my exhaust.

You are aware the 2 bar requires a 5v input right?

mhyjek

Established Member
I can't hear the WG over my exhaust.

You are aware the 2 bar requires a 5v input right?

Man your exhaust must be loud because I have uncatted full length headers with magnaflow streets at idle and part throttle not so bad but here is a track video you can hear it at my 1-2 shift and spinning lol. In the car very noticeable video little hard to hear but there flutter whistling like sound.
[video=youtube;TxJG2rAF834]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJG2rAF834&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread