Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Man your exhaust must be loud because I have uncatted full length headers with magnaflow streets at idle and part throttle not so bad but here is a track video you can hear it at my 1-2 shift and spinning lol. In the car very noticeable video little hard to hear but there flutter whistling like sound.
[video=youtube;TxJG2rAF834]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJG2rAF834&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That sounded like the BOV to me not the WG. On 1-2 shift and spinning thats what you would be hearing.

My buddies have turbo cars with WG and make the whoosh sound when on the gas, mine doesnt sound like that at all, except for the BOV.

TEG-84

Established Member
I have the 8 rib and with the 9.7 spring I hit 9.74 lbs when the WG opens. I've ran the 11.6 spring and I got that as well. I've never experienced belt slip.

3.73 M6, 3.15 HT pulley, Gates 100" belt, ARH with hi-flo cats, JT.

mhyjek

Established Member
I have factory bov with filter never heard it without wastegate plus its on passenger side whereas WG is venting on driverside by the front tire. If you free rev the car you can hear it to not that I recommend doing that to often but you will know when it opens sounds like a spaceship

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I have factory bov with filter never heard it without wastegate plus its on passenger side whereas WG is venting on driverside by the front tire. If you free rev the car you can hear it to not that I recommend doing that to often but you will know when it opens sounds like a spaceship

That's the bov... without a load it will blow off the boost. I.e. free rev or when you are shifting and not on the gas. The WG can't open if its not getting boost(since the BOV is blowing it off).

lshin037

Established Member
That's the bov... without a load it will blow off the boost. I.e. free rev or when you are shifting and not on the gas. The WG can't open if its not getting boost(since the BOV is blowing it off).

Yeah. I don't go into boost during free rev. All I hear is the BOV.

mhyjek

Established Member
Free rev ie meaning foot on gas hit 6200 rpm you will here WG open the bov only opens like you said when off the gas. But that brings up a good point for OP to check because maybe he has leak there?

lshin037

Established Member
Free rev ie meaning foot on gas hit 6200 rpm you will here WG open the bov only opens like you said when off the gas. But that brings up a good point for OP to check because maybe he has leak there?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. You're talking about neutral rev, right? Revving in neutral? My understand is that you don't into boost during neutral rev....only when you put it in gear (load). WG won't open until it reaches the intended boost (springs)

lshin037

Established Member
I have the 8 rib and with the 9.7 spring I hit 9.74 lbs when the WG opens. I've ran the 11.6 spring and I got that as well. I've never experienced belt slip.

3.73 M6, 3.15 HT pulley, Gates 100" belt, ARH with hi-flo cats, JT.

Did you install the 8 rib setup after the WG setup? If so, did you have belt slip while in the 6 rib?

lshin037

Established Member
MAP sensor comes in tomorrow. I'm seriously gonna be pissed if it ends up being an inaccurate gauge. But I doubt it....that'd be too easy.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Cool story, bro....I merely stated I hadn't had belt slip. So maybe the 6 rib can/should upgrade to help prevent belt slip.

Understandable, some of us already mentioned about upgrading to the 8 rib. Its just odd that no one ever mentioned this issue on the 6 rib with M6 3.73's.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
its the gears!

I just need to place my order and quit talking about it.

3.27s for the win........

Thomas is right. As much as I enjoy drving the car with the 3.73s, they just aren't the correct gear with the MT82 and boost.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Replaced the MAP sensor and tested it with a calibrated manometer and made sure it was on point. Boost reached 9 psi so the old map sensor was off by about 1 psi. I sprayed the belts and pulleys with simple green, left them for about a minute and hosed them off. Left it to dry overnight and made a pull this morning. Peaked at 9.2.

So I guess it is the gears and I'll just have to live with it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread