Torsen done

Softballer77

Established Member
Anyone on here replaced the Torsen with something else? I know Birdoc's took a hit as well but not sure what he replaced it with.

Seems Torsens are great for track use, but not for high load/high torque clutch drops in a heavy vehicle on DRs or slicks...

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Detroit trac loc in my truck, and a double stacked clutch in my mustang, I like the clutch setup better! replacing the steel discs with friction, it tightens the setup but still allows some slip when needed. Great on the road course and is preloaded for violent clutch drops for a straighter launch. The only drawback to the clutch setup is that you will need to replace them once and a while. I am HARD on equipment, sometimes the truck only spins one tire for a couple turns and then does a violent engage, I think something may break one day but hopefully not soon.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
I took my torsen out and sold it when i got the car...I have a standard diff that would be found in any 11-14 GT 8.8 or 07-12 GT500....works great and i do clutch dumps on slicks in probably a 4200lb car with driver....1.45 60' this past weekend.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Hmm. AllKHEINZ was that the tru trak? I may be interested in going that route.

its just a stock diff from a non track pack shelby with the carbon clutches....i had the same thing in my 2010 that ran 9.4 at 150 and made over 1k passes in that car....never broke a diff and the clutches did me well for a loooong time.

paluka21

Established Member
its just a stock diff from a non track pack shelby with the carbon clutches....i had the same thing in my 2010 that ran 9.4 at 150 and made over 1k passes in that car....never broke a diff and the clutches did me well for a loooong time.

Wouldn't this be essentially the same diff in the 13/14 MY Shelby's with the standard diff (non-Torsen)?

Softballer77

Established Member
Interesting...I will look further into that route ALLKHEINZ.

I've also noticed that where we have the Torsen T2, that there is also a Torsen T2R which is classified as their race version...looking into that one as well.

StangsfeverFOX

Established Member
I got rid of my Torsten this year , 33 spline tru trac went it , along with moser axles, welded tubes , 9 inch ends , Che girdle ,ford racing girdle cover , along with 3.73s .

Jorday

Established Member
I got rid of my torsen earlier this summer. I'm currently running an eaton posi. I had a detroit locker in it for a while. A real detroit locker not a truetrac.

Bad Company

Established Member
Wavetrac, going in tomorrow. Curious to see the torsen when it comes out.
31 spline Wavetrac or a 33 spline?

The 31 splines are weak due to the C-clip axles, whereas the 33 spline with 9" axle bearing retaining system is supposed to handle 1000-1100 RWHP without issues

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
31 spline Wavetrac or a 33 spline?

The 31 splines are weak due to the C-clip axles, whereas the 33 spline with 9" axle bearing retaining system is supposed to handle 1000-1100 RWHP without issues
Correct, the 9" ends and 33-splines should be the best solution with the 8.8, I run the Moser kit with 33 spline axles, 9" ends and it comes with ABS rings installed and brackets to bolt up the stock brakes; I'm usually a Strange guy but nice kit and service.

I'm looking forward to how Softballer likes the Wavetrac
-J

Established Member
I really like what the Torsen does to change the tractability of the SLA.

Is the reason all of you are ditching it because you are breaking them drag racing?

Bad Company

Established Member
Correct, the 9" ends and 33-splines should be the best solution with the 8.8, I run the Moser kit with 33 spline axles, 9" ends and it comes with ABS rings installed and brackets to bolt up the stock brakes; I'm usually a Strange guy but nice kit and service.

I'm looking forward to how Softballer likes the Wavetrac
-J
Yep, this is what I did also, plus I sent everything out but the Wavetrac to be REM, Cryogenics and MicroBlue treated.

Once I had the center section together the total measured drag of the pinion and center section/ring gear to rotate was 14.5 inch-pounds, whereas without the treatments the pinion alone is supposed to be 20-28 inch pounds. This was with a backlash measurement of 0.0079" to 0.008" with a perfect pattern around the circumference of the ring gear

I found an issue with the Moser 9" axle bearing retaining kit in the fact their vendor shortened the bolts that hold the axles/bearing retainer plate and caliper mounts by 0.050". My kit had bolts that where 1.200" where they were supposed to by 1.250". I bought a Caterpillar Grade 8 black oxide 1.375" long bolt with a tappered end. This gave me roughly 3-4 threads of engagement through the Moser locknuts. Make sure that you have threads of the bolt sticking out beyond the nuts for positive engagement of the locknut portion of the threads of the locknuts. I called Moser about the issue and they weren't happy with their supplier/vendor of the bolts for this kit and hadn't realized they had been shortened by the 0.050". At first they wouldn't believe me until I told them to measure the length of the bolts in their kit themselves, before they got somebody hurt with an axle trying to exit the car. Technically this won't happen with the rotor and brake caliper mounted properly, but if the bolts loosen because they didn't engage the locking portion of the nuts. Everything can exit the car as an assembly while ripping out the brake hose, ABS speed sensor and emergency brake cable.

I'm sure the vendor supplying the bolts didn't realize how critical it was to shorten the bolts by 0.050". They were just looking at how much steel they had would save when they did this across their complete production line of bolts. Money and the lowest price point at the time of the sale dictates everything anymore, not the fact a 0.050" shorter bolt might hurt somebody.

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
I really like what the Torsen does to change the tractability of the SLA.

Is the reason all of you are ditching it because you are breaking them drag racing?
The 33 axle spline Wavetrac is substantially much stronger than the 31 axle spline Torsen T2 differential. Yet it has the same street driving characteristics of the Torsen T2 these cars came with from the factory. The reason people are switching is if you do break an axle, it is retained by a retaining bearing plate at the end of the axle tube. The 31 spline Torsen and even the 31 spline Wavetrac retain the axle with a C-clip at the center of the rear. This can allow the axle to exit the car if it is broken. It is a safety issue in my mind once you start building big Hp with sticky tires and hard launches. It also gets rid of the axle floating back and forth on the C-clip for no end play in the axle at high speeds and better stability of the car at those speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread